GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT1 oil change- is it overfilled?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ckamin

LT1 oil change- is it overfilled? Empty
PostSubject: LT1 oil change- is it overfilled?   LT1 oil change- is it overfilled? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Good evening!

Today I did an oil change on my '96 LT1 wagon with a Wix filter and a 5-quart jug of 20w50 synthetic oil from the auto parts store. The jug was new and sealed.

My understanding is that the change takes 5 quarts total. I filled up the new filter, installed the filter and added the remaining oil to the crankcase. After the oil change and a 50 mile drive, the dipstick is still reading 1/8"-1/4" above the "full" line/mark.

Is this considered too much oil? The car was level when i drained the oil pan and shouldn't enough oil left in it to make any difference.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

LT1 oil change- is it overfilled? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LT1 oil change- is it overfilled?   LT1 oil change- is it overfilled? Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2024 10:23 pm

It will be fine.

I am one of those opposed to filing the filter with oil after a change. If the oil has drained long enough, the pump will be full of air. If the filter, which is at the discharge of the pump, is filled with fluid, it will actually present a resistance that will prolong the time it takes to completely fill the pump cavity and build pressure.

A dry filter presents no opposition, and it fills within seconds. If your vehicle has a gage, you can actually see the pressure builds more quickly after starting with an empty filter.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down

LT1 oil change- is it overfilled?
Page 1 of 1