GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show

Go down 
+5
brokecello
Cadet57
sherlock9c1
200OZ
81X11
9 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Empty
PostSubject: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:48 pm

So my wife took the kiddos to the in-laws in Dallas for the weekend...and I got a pass. Woo-Hoo! I put 300 miles on my Roadmaster wagon today. Drove down to San Antonio and hit both the Pick-N-Pull and the Pull-U-Part. Did WELL, found the rear door handle trim I've needed since I got my car in correct Ruby Red, and found two good front door handle trims in grey...I'll be ordering SEM paint and soon as I find the code on here, and then will have to figure out how the speakers come off that trim.

Only one round wagon today, a blue 95 Caprice, but LOTS of Roadmasters and a few LT1 police cars too. Also a clean 88 Buick Wagon with turbine wheels. Two in the car and two in the back...$20 each, kicking myself for not grabbing them! As usual I brought the camera, pics are below.

AND I also found out about a HUGE car show at the Bass Pro Shops near Six Flags Fiesta Texas on the north side of San Antonio. Made it just in time for the last few hours of the show. Over 400 cars! Will post a seperate topic for it. It was awesome. A GREAT DAY!

Here's the salvage yard pics from today. Enjoy!

-Mike

San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow001
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow002
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow003
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow004
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow005
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow006
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow008
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow007
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow009
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow010
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow011
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow012
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow013
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow014
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow016
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow015
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow017
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow018
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow019
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow020
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow021
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow022
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow023
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow027
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow026
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow028
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow029
San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show SanAntonioSalvage-carshow030

Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Wow Mike, lots to pick from! I like that gray leather RMS int. Where's your lill' red too box? I looked fer it, but couldn't find it.
You need to grab the green hoses, they go for good money on eBay.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Yep the grey leather in that one RMS was in really nice shape. Still soft, not torn. Hope someone grabs them.

Oh and a LOT of those green hoses out there. The police road training facility is right down there and at least two of those cop cars were "teaching" cars. Still had training tags on them from the police academy.

My little red box was replace by a larger green metal box with my red Lone Star Cafe sticker on it. My buddy that bought the Bonneville had a list of Bonny parts and I needed more tools than my little red case would hold.

Such fun!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Did you notice the bucket-seated and spot-lighted cop car had a brand new water pump on it? I mean it was NEW. Sad!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 am

Reman LT1 water pumps are only $50 (or at least they were a few years ago) so I have a hard time justifying paying for one out of the junkyard.

I must be the only one who's had bad luck with those green hoses. Mine always leak at the joints and I end up putting a thin film of RTV around each of the fittings, letting it skin over, the install the hoses.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Next time you go to the JY wanna see if there are any Caprice hood emblems in good shape/ aren't faded? Mines a little rough, id appreciate it.

-Cadet
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Dang that white Caprice cop car with the spotlight had a perfect one. Wish I'd known! Will grab you one next time.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Woah...some really good parts cars! Nothing new has come in around here yet, but I would go crazy if I was in TX I guess Smile Wow!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 5:57 pm

brokecello wrote:

Woah...some really good parts cars! Nothing new has come in around here yet, but I would go crazy if I was in TX I guess Smile Wow!

I told my buddy in Cali when I go to visit him this Jan that I'm loading up on parts and sending a pallet home with me Laughing
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm

I hear the yards around LA are AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:02 pm

81X11 wrote:
I hear the yards around LA are AWESOME!

Maybe I should call National back and rent a van instead of the DTS I have booked now Razz
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm

should we organize a group road trip to san antonio?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Come on Down! I'll get the BBQ grill fired up and the beer chillin!

Dallas and Fort Worth are where you really want to go. TONS of yards and rust-free cars up there. San Antonio is an hour away from me, and Dallas is 2 1/2 hours away, so I get to SA more, but the DFW aea is THE place to go yarding. LOTS of Pick-N-Pull" type yards, and lots of specialty yards too.

Houston also has some really good yards, but being so close to the gulf you have to look for salt air damage there. Still with SO many cars there, you can get some real scores.

My favorite yard is between Houston and San Antonio, just south of the small town of Seguin. John's Salvage has been in business for years, has cars going back to the 1930's, welcomes people strolling the yard and even lets people picnic in there. He never crushes anything. Edsels, GTO's, tons of Mustangs, Studebakers, and entire row of 55-57 Chevys....it's unreal. Only thing you can't find is interior parts. The sun and heat burns all that stuff up, but metal and chrome lasts forever. Check out the website: http://johnssalvagecompany.com/

Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 am

I wish the yards around here had that kind of selection. I'm up for a road trip if anyone wants to leave the Carolinas Smile

I wish you would have snagged those Turbines - I might even have offered to trade you my 96 Roadmaster Collectors Edition key chain for them...

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 am

You have a 96 Collector's Edition Keychain???? Oh I NEED that!!!

And there are good yards to the northeast of you....or there used to be. My best friend went to school at Old Dominion in Norfolk, and we yarded around there and into North Carolina a few times in the early 90's.

He had a bunch of crazy college friends that lived in Elizabeth City and one true redneck buddy that lived in a tiny place called "Old Trap" .. Ha! I actually drove down from Jersey to go to a "stump burnin" party at that guy's place one weekend. It was great! A giant bonfire, tons of beer and BBQ....and the girls there...nice man! I was single once.....

All those guys had neat cars too. None were perfect, but all were neat. I remember his friend Jesse had a 72 Pontiac Lemans Sport and a 4dr hardtop 64 Impala. His other friend Jamie had a 68 Firebird, and one other guy had an old Nova SS. One guy even had a hilarious 70's custom van with green shag carpet and orange seats. We took it to Nags Head....oh it was a POS...ha!

Had a really good time whenever I could get to NC. Good folks and lots of neat old cars.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 pm

The yards near me are terrible. There's almost never a B-body anything in them and when there is it has nothing of value left. I would have snagged those green hoses, love how they don't stick to anything.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 2:54 pm

I guess I should have gabbed those and put them on Ebay.
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

81X11 wrote:
I guess I should have gabbed those and put them on Ebay.

Or give a shot at them ffor someone here..... Wink

I am sure you could get a long shopping list of things members here would be interested in.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Hmm. I doubt Pick-A-Part would want much for them. Do they last...forever? I mean I have no idea how old they are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show   San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

San Antonio Salvage Yards and BIG car show
Page 1 of 1