GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can't keep wheels balanced

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

Can't keep wheels balanced Empty
PostSubject: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 am

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem keeping weights on their wheels. I'm running 235/70-15 Tiger Paws on stock 95 rims and have had a time keeping the tires balanced. Been to 2 different tire shops numerous times and everything is fine when I leave but it doesn't take long before the weights start slinging off. The last shop gave me some kind of line about the design of the wheels special weight blah blah blah but when when I pressed for specefics he got vague.

If anyone has had this problem what has been done to correct it?

Jon
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:23 pm

There are a lot of different wheel weight shapes that allow the weight to fit snug up against the wheel lip. If the shop doesn't have the right weight they will normally use what they have that is closest to what's needed. Then a few miles later, they fly off. I've seen some places use pre-enjoyed wheel weights, and those don't last long either. Try a GM dealer, and ask them ahead of time if they carry the weights specific to your wheels. They will usually say "Yes, we have them.", but make sure they check first. In the '90s when I worked at a GM dealer we had 6 different boxes of coated wheel weights depending on what car we were working on. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 5:18 pm

That does help. Thanks Mike. Maybe if I show up with my own weights they'll take me seriously.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:25 pm

You could ask them to use stick-on wheel weights, like the ones for Corvettes.

Sorry bad idea, that would require them to think.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You could ask them to use stick-on wheel weights, like the ones for Corvettes.

Sorry bad idea, that would require them to think.

They managed to figure that one out when I had my 17'' OEM VW wheels mounted when I switched from 15's. I was impressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't keep wheels balanced   Can't keep wheels balanced Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can't keep wheels balanced
Page 1 of 1