GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seat Belt Question(s)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Seat Belt Question(s) Empty
PostSubject: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Okay so, I have a couple of questions:

1. My driver's side seatbelt doesn't retract anymore, how do I fix that?
2. My passenger side seatbelt is tangled beyond recognition. Is there a way to take it out and re-roll it so it works properly? If so, how?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Yeah, id love to hear the answer to the 2nd one as my drivers belt has done that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Like, it's so bad most people who sit in the passenger seat don't even bother to wear it. Good thing I have really dark tint, cause seat belts are a first-offense in FL now. lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:18 am

The belts can be removed from the retractors. If your's does not retract, you need a good retractor. The passenger belt can be removed, but I do not know what you are facing with the "tangle". I am going to be at the Turkey Run, and if you take if off of the car, and bring it to me, I may be able to untangle it. Do you want a good retractor? The driver side is specific to that side. Replacing them is relatively easy, and once you have it out of the car, it should take about 10-15 minutes the first time.

You need a torx 50 to remove the belts. I would also suggest a long breaker bar to get the bolts loose, especially the one on the floor. If you need further instructions I can supply them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:06 am

I'd lie instructions if possible. I won't be able to make the Turkey Run though. Sad I've got work.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Sorry to jump in here, but if anyone has the red caps that clip into the seat belt buckles on the 96 cars, please let me know. Two of mine are missing. These clip on to the buckle on the strap itself, not the foor.

I believe these were only on 96 cars. The 95 and older cars use the traditional brushed stainless trim.....which I WISH my 96 had!

Thanks!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 pm

81X11 wrote:
The 95 and older cars use the traditional brushed stainless trim.....which I WISH my 96 had!

This is a silly question, but can't you just swap them to the 91-95 style?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Not without replacing all the belts. They changed the design in 96....no idea why.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:13 pm

81X11 wrote:
Not without replacing all the belts. They changed the design in 96....no idea why.

No I know you'd have to swap them all, but the rear belts are easy to change, its just the two front belts that are a pain. I would imagine a clean set of 91-95 belts can't be too expensive, might also be cheaper and easier than trying to hunt down a '96 only belt.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 pm

If it pisses me off enough I may do that.....but I just need two little pieces of red plastic...

It's shocking how few of these cars had red interior. If my interior was tan I'd be set 10-times over....
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Stingroo... On your passenger side, you may be able to get away with taking off the upper mount (T50, like Fred said), and flipping it over there a time or two. Might get you the loops you need to untangle it...? I've done it before.

And, grab the tan plastics and SEM them! Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm

81X11 wrote:
Sorry to jump in here, but if anyone has the red caps that clip into the seat belt buckles on the 96 cars, please let me know. Two of mine are missing. These clip on to the buckle on the strap itself, not the foor.

I believe these were only on 96 cars. The 95 and older cars use the traditional brushed stainless trim.....which I WISH my 96 had!

Thanks!

-Mike

The plastic parts are heat riveted to the metal parts. I tried to pry one off and broke it (it was already cracked but did not break on the crack)

I have a good male buckle part in tan (no belt). It is listed in my parts for sale thread. I believe the old style is just chrome plated steel, because they rust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I still really want to know the SEM code for TBI red. lol

I'll delve into the seatbelt tomorrow. I don't have classes, so it's a perfect opportunity. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I still really want to know the SEM code for TBI red. lol

I'll delve into the seatbelt tomorrow. I don't have classes, so it's a perfect opportunity. Smile

I would not mind having that code too. The NAPA red is much redder than the Dark Maple Red of the 91-93s

The Roadmasters had a different (darker) red than the OCCs and Caprices, or I just got a set of front door interiors and belts from a different color batch run. They are for sale if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat Belt Question(s)   Seat Belt Question(s) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Belt Question(s)
Page 1 of 1