GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.

Go down 
+4
jayoldschool
toomanytoyz
lakeffect
Bewber
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bewber

Bewber

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Empty
PostSubject: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 am

I'd spent almost all of last weekend cleaning and rearranging the back room of my garage to be used as my "studio" and I finally got the opportunity to use it and pop my own airbrush cherry last night. After a hugely frustrating afternoon/evening, I plugged in the small compressor, turned up the blues - and regardless of the results, it felt really, REALLY good to finally begin my learning curve and get that HUGE monkey off my back.

For practicing/learning/experimenting - I decided to go with a couple toilet seats. I'd taped them off a long time ago, and scored some freebie leftover paint samples from the nephew - and last night was finally my shot to put the two together.

Being a virgin, I decided to play it conservatibe and be gentle with myself - and went with a simple 3 color flame. I had a silver base with a darker grey metallic fogged in fat on the edges - then followed up with the blue. Here it is with the tape still on it:

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. First_10

I obviously had some adhesion and un-taping ussues, but here it is in its current state:

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. First_11

With that "safe" one out of the way I used the second one to experiment a little. I went with a blue base, a fat silver fog in, and mixed up a little purple for the solving of curiosities regarding going heavy on the tips and outer edges (left side) or just fogging the tips in lightly (right side). Again, some slight adhesion and taping issues - but here's that one too:

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Second10

I'm glad that I tried the things I tried, but I'm not real happy with the 2nd one. Too much silver - the hard purple outline didn't work out, etc. Anyway, I know that I still have a LONG way to go, and I still have to bust out the pinstriping brushes - but for being in my absolute infancy with using a new tool I think things could have turned out MUCH worse, so I'm encouraged. The goal is to start with smaller cheaper stuff like toilet seats now, progress to bigger things like refrigerators soon, and be ready to full flame a full sized car by spring. The biggest thing I had to do was START with the STARTING already - and with that out of the way - I'm off and running (like a racing turtle).

Thanks for the look - and thanks too for any/all constructive criticism and helpful suggestions.

Peace,
John
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 am

It just needs some mauve pin striping around the color edge and it will be fine.

The reality of toilet seats is that if you forget to lift it, you pee on it anyway!

Any body been trying the Green Frog painter's tape?
Does it really hold an edge better?

Dave
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 am

I'm not sure they have a fine line tape.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 am

Hey John,thats some pretty nice work on your first try.Definitely have the skills and patience so just keep at it.Just
dont put your work outside on a tall post.
Gotcha Buddy
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 am

Air brushing an entire car?

I sense epicness afoot.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:02 am

I like the first one. Grab those pinstriping brushes and fix the edges! Smile
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 am

Pull the tape with the paint very fresh. Almost wet. Also, did you scuff the flame area after it was taped?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:04 am

I had a surfboard that looked like the first one, Good work! can't wait to see more....I bought an air brush kit myself a few years ago and never did anything with it yet.... Sad
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:13 am

learn the tru fire flames john,. there,s where your artitstic talents will thrive,.
I would re-paint and give you the black car for a practise canvas,. perhaps it might finally get the flames i,ve always wanted,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Yea, I scuffed the first one after it was taped - but I agree that I let it sit too long before untaping. Hopefully with a little striping brush practice, I can improve those edges.

Thanks Nick. True flames are definitely in the plan, but I don't have any of those stencils yet. Gotta start at the start, which is getting comfortable with the brush. I'll also need a more colorful selection of samples besides, 2 silvers, 6 shades of grey, lime green, blue, and a red.

I know that pinstriping things out with a brush is important, but it's especially the case on smaller items where you need that higher level of detail. I've seen plenty of cars that just had the pinstrip color airbrushed around the edges, and that style seems to lend itself much better to the much bigger sized flames on that much bigger of a canvas. I have a spare fridge that I'll be trying this theory on pretty soon too.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:35 pm

read,.... google is your friend,. the stencils are part of your 'artistic flair' you draw and cut out your own,. thats the beauty of tru fire stuff,. the random shapes etc,.you definition of the flames is your signature,. there is no pattern,..there are better color combo's tho,. etc,.
there is no spoon,. neo.

nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Nice work! You got talent Bud!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks Mike.

Ok, so the holiday acivities put me on pause for a little while, but I'm still trying new stuff out there as often as I can. I knew that I had to start trying to finger out how to lay stuff out so that parts of the layout crossed over other parts of the layout. I can draw that in my sleep, but hadn't tried to paint it yet.

Since I wanted to work on something a little bigger than a toilet seat too - I spent 2 minutes and Krylon'd a square on the wall - then another couple minutes laying out a quick layout to serve that only purpose.

In the grand scheme of photo-journaling my attempts, triumphs, and tribulations - here's how it came out. I know that I need to go back and add some shadowing - but I was really only trying to figure out the "how to tape off and paint where, and when" of it all.

Same as before - I know there's lots of room for improvement, but I'm comfortable with how this first shot went - concerning the areas that I was concerned about. I know it could have turned out much worse and I know that my next one will be much better.

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Sany0023

I know, I know - not my first choice of colors either, but I only had like 30 minutes to shoot the whole thing AND clean up - so I had to grab the first two colors that both contrasted and were already ready to spray. Meh.

Thanks for the look,
John
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:29 pm

looking good, but have to say it reminded immediately of Aku for some reason.....

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Gal_samurai_jack_03
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Damn! If only I wasn't keeping the Marshmallow looking like a sleeper, I'd have you paint it next summer for WF2K11FM!!!!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Damn! If only I wasn't keeping the Marshmallow looking like a sleeper, I'd have you paint it next summer for WF2K11FM!!!!

Get in line.................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.   So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I airbrushed for the first time ever last night.
Page 1 of 1