GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms

Go down 
+2
Krzdimond
jeffracer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffracer

jeffracer

96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Empty
PostSubject: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 pm

My new wagon is in great shape except for a fubar by the previous owner when he put jack stands under the rear control arms and lowered the jack. Twisted comes to mind.............

I am in need of a pair of stock lower control arms and they are NLA from Govt Motors. Anyone have a source?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Aftermarket or junkyard. Junkyard will be cheaper, but remember, the "newest" ones will be 15 years old......

it's not the arms, it's the bushings.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 am

Krzdimond wrote:
Aftermarket or junkyard. Junkyard will be cheaper, but remember, the "newest" ones will be 15 years old......

it's not the arms, it's the bushings.

Are new bushings are readily available?
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 am

Does it have to be stock? I was very happy with the C3Fab aftermarket lower control arms.

The aftermarket arms are a lot sturdier than the factory arms.

96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms OldAndNewLCA

96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms ControlArms
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Just remember that the stockers are floppy for a reason. They offer better road isolation and absorb some of the binding that inevitably occurs in the suspensions on these cars.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:06 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Just remember that the stockers are floppy for a reason. They offer better road isolation and absorb some of the binding that inevitably occurs in the suspensions on these cars.

I thought that was just the upper ones. You can box the lowers and use a Crown Vic anti-roll bar with no harm to the car.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Will lower arms from a 92 estate wagon fit a 96 estate wagon? If so I found a you pull it yard that has a 92.

If Yes, what size wrenches do I need to pull the lower arms. My wagon is 30 miles from me at the moment so I can't go look and the 92 wagon is 30 miles in the opposite direction.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:37 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
sherlock9c1 wrote:

I thought that was just the upper ones. You can box the lowers and use a Crown Vic anti-roll bar with no harm to the car.
The upper ones are mainly in tension, so they can be built more spindly. The lower ones are in compression and they tend to deform under heavy acceleration and let the axle move around, causing unpredictable handling.

If you install the Crown vic bar, you completely bypass the control arms and don't need to do a bloomin' thing to them.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Went to the U-Pull-It yard and got the pair of lower arms off a 92 Roadmaster wagon for $22. I was going to shoot a couple of photos of the car but there wasn't much of value left on it, the car was pretty well cannibalized.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms   96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

96 Roadmaster Rear lower control arms
Page 1 of 1