GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

intermittent speedo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

intermittent speedo Empty
PostSubject: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:30 pm

It's been colder than usual here and I noticed the past couple of mornings, my speedo doesn't work (sits on zero) for the first couple of minutes I'm driving.

this is in the 91 OCC.

any ideas or is the cluster on the way out? (tach stays pegged to the right all the time).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 am

Hey Sprocket my 91 OCC does the same thing every winter.Mostly the tach stays on zero until I tap on the plastic
lense a few times and then it starts working.I dont think anythings going bad just getting old and stiff kinda like we
get as we age.Strange how some parts start getting stiffer as we age and other parts wont get as stiff as they use
too.
Jusr Rambling
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

we'll see how it holds up this weekend. I'm going to put about 700 miles on it....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 am

There are two things you can look at.

First, the contacts for the gauge motors may be getting some corrosion on them. You can fix this by just R&Ring the circuit board on the back of the cluster. Just pulling it off and reinstalling it would scrape the prongs on the gauge motos, and remove the corrosion.

Second, the circuit board may have a fried or loose part (especially with the tach issue). You can use the circuit board from any 91-93 RMW/S or 91-92 OCC to replace the old board.

In either of these scenerios, you also have a chance to make sure you have good bulbs in all of the sockets at the same time.

I had a tach which would only read 0 or 7K. I replaced the board and it now works perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah I have a few TBI clusters about OCC and RMW. just no time to fitz with it right now.....
seemed to work on every start after a few minutes in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: intermittent speedo   intermittent speedo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

intermittent speedo
Page 1 of 1