GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No heat, brand new plugged radiator

Go down 
+3
lakeffect
BigBlackBeaSSt
200OZ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
200OZ
200OZ

No heat, brand new plugged radiator Empty
PostSubject: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 pm

I've flushed the cooling system on my 1995 Caprice wagon winter rat for the 6th time last night, since early November. I found that particals of rust and junk partially plugged the new radiator. The heat works for a few days after flushing, then slowly gets cooler. So, here is my question. What radiator hose is the inlet, and which one is the outlet of the engine? I'm going to try and put a "Y" strainer in the engine outlet to trap some of the larger pieces of rust and what not. I'll post pics when I'm done, should be interesting. And no I have not pulled the knock sensors out to drain the block, I know I should, but I'm affraid of braking anything else on this car.

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Mike,

No heat, brand new plugged radiator Ccrp_0801_02_zgen_ii_chevy_small_block_engine

Tim
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Think gravity.

The pump loads it at the top and draws it out from the bottom.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm

These strainers are easy to cobble into the heater inlet line:

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|51|305312&id=614249
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the replys fellas. Well, I put a strainer in the engine inlet because I couldn't cobble one in the outlet (not enough room). I also put one in the heater core inlet. So far, so good, I've had it running for about an hour so far and I've drained the strainers 4 times. A lot of "stuff" came out of the drains, so maybe this will work.

These are the stainers I used, it's just what we had laying around the shop.
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=824
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 8:45 pm

people oft toimes say i,m extreme., tis true,. BUT,. if you load it with liquid drano and water,. drive it for an hour,. then drain things,. it,ll shift a lot of the rust,.leave the t-stat out,. then flush it with the garden hose while its running,.
Nick
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Doesn't the draino wreak havoc on the seals/hoses?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Rockauto has LT1 knock sensors on clearance right now if you want to pick up a pair on the cheap (relatively).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No heat, brand new plugged radiator   No heat, brand new plugged radiator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No heat, brand new plugged radiator
Page 1 of 1