GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

carpet replacement?

Go down 
+6
Grumpy
Sprocket
95BRMW
94Woody
brokecello
Krzdimond
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

carpet replacement? Empty
PostSubject: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:48 pm

It's been 2 days since it rained and I woke up with 1/4" of standing water in both the front floorboards. today I used an extractor to remove and shampoo... while I've got the machine out anyway..... the water. I'm thinking that I might have to replace the carpet because it is sun faded and there is a massive hole under the brake pedal. I've decided to lay down the peal & seal while the carpet is out to both cut down on the drone from the exhaust, and to seal any rust holes that MIGHT be in the floorboards. I am also going to use this stuff in the rear wheel wells to fix any mistakes from my "repair".

If I have to replace the carpet, what is a good place to get it? I think we have established that the ACC carpet is no longer an option.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:56 pm

I have bought carpet from Classic Industries before (not sure who makes their carpet though...) It was good quality IMO (but was for an older Impala...)

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=getProductsCategorySearch&productSearchCatalogId=5&categoryId=111&yearId=190&partNumber=&keyword=&listAs=1&sortBy=1&sortOrder=1

Year One another place Ive bought some interior bits from (but sometimes overpriced...and again...who makes the carpet? Hopefully not ACC)

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?hid=I11AA5454

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 am

The carpet from most of the restore places is supplied by ACC. The same is true about most of the carpets being sold on eBay. Stockinteriors.com is ACC carpet as well. I'm not 100% but I think even JC Whitney carpet is ACC.

The old owner of ISSF makes carpet sets doesn't he? I remember seeing a site for it one time. It was kinda pricey but when compared to the garbage from ACC probably worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm

94Woody wrote:

The old owner of ISSF makes carpet sets doesn't he? I remember seeing a site for it one time. It was kinda pricey but when compared to the garbage from ACC probably worth every penny.

I think this is the place? Mike (BigOldV8) bought his carpet from him a few years ago....but I thought people were having issues with him now?

http://impalasscarpet.com/

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Can we see some photos of why the ACC carpet is "bad"? Cause my carpet is shot to ****, and I'm about to do my seats and floor console too... so if it's not THAT BAD I may go ahead with the carpet too. I don't care about 111% perfection, if it looks good I'd be happy.

Pics please.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 pm

I agree on the pics... my stock carpet doesn't fit like a glove either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Exactly. I mean, before we go dismissing options, let's see some info.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I'll grab some pics this afternoon.

One guy on ISSF said he was taking his to a carpet place so they can steam it in.

The problem with it is the "MASS" back option that I paid for. The normal carpet is very thin and the MASS adds thickness. It is about as flexible as a truck mud flap.

I was told that if you lay it on the old carpet and trim it to that it will fit better because most of the excess is on the front. I still don't see how that would work because the carpet is just molded plain goofy. It sits up in places that it shouldn't and in no way does it fit the trans hump.

Once the seats are in it won't look bad I suppose but it will still bother me.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:41 pm

After looking over some things, I believe I have it figured out. Gonna reinstall tomorrow and it should be better. Doing stuff like this alone sucks.

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 pm

I have an aftermarket carpet in my 9C1. I don't know who makes it (traded it from another forum member). Its holding up well, except whoever installed it the first time shifted it way to far back and theres a large gap under dash. Any way to tell the manufacturer?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 pm

They say the carpet is molded to the vehicles floorboard. I wonder which vehicle they use for the 91-96 Caprice cause it isn't correct. NO amount of moving around, trimming can save the crap they sold me.

If you have ever seen the bare floor you know nothing in the area is molded like this....

carpet replacement? 101_1586

or this

carpet replacement? 101_1576

The heel pad they glue on stinks, notice the cut at the gas pedal, it ends at yet another molded spot that does not match the floor. The cut was so the area would drop and the gas pedal could be pushed.

carpet replacement? 101_1579

The hump is no where near this wide....

carpet replacement? 101_1585

The rear is so nasty it's embarrassing so I just covered it with floor mats.

Perhaps a more skilled person than I can do a better job as this is my first ever carpet job. Either way, I'm not impressed with ACC carpet.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm looking for a carpet too. maybe if we find a place we can get a GP goin
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Chris, I don't give a damn how good the fit is, I ain't payin' $450 for a carpet!!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm

I might split this thread..... don't know yet, but here goes.....

Been busy yesterday and this morning. Removed the carpet and an horrified at what I saw! Pics are worth a thousand words, so here you go!

Pulled the rear seat out.. not too bad

carpet replacement? 058

Peeled back the drivers side carpet and saw this:

carpet replacement? 059

Passenger side:

carpet replacement? 062

The carpet was still wet after 4 days.....YUCK!!

carpet replacement? 060
carpet replacement? 061

Found a rust hole in the passenger floorboard.

carpet replacement? 066
carpet replacement? 067

Floor as a whole isn't too bad. Better than I thought

carpet replacement? 071
carpet replacement? 069

Still have water pooling....

carpet replacement? 068

NOW for the worst part:

Used my "Michigan Rust Detection Kit"

carpet replacement? 076

Drivers side:

carpet replacement? 077

Passenger side:

carpet replacement? 078

Would the same fiberglass that I used on the rear of the fenderwells work here, or am I going to have to have someone cut this out and replace with good steel?

Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

I am also going to do a "how to" on removing the carpet complete with a tools list as I had to purchase a T45 socket.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Those damned torx sockets. I picked up a set with the whole range from T15 to T55 from Harbor Freight for like $9. From reading around I see it's going to serve me well. lol
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Does anyone make floor panels ??? I am interested in carpet to .. I had ACC in a Buick GN.. Fit like crap Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Doubt anyone makes a floorpan specific to our wagons but I sure do want to find out how
different the sedan floorpan is.I know that there is a diff but I want to know if a sedan
floopan can be adapted to use in our wagons.There are probably new sedan floorpans
floating around in some dark corner of an old warehouse.
IMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 am

I'm gonna glass my rot once the warm weather gets here on a more permanent basis.

That should do well until I have the time/money for a proper metal repair.

GM did a piss poor job of sealing the rear wheel housings on these wagons Sad
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 4:44 am

Temporary repairs have been made:

carpet replacement? DSCN0104

carpet replacement? DSCN0105

carpet replacement? DSCN0106

carpet replacement? DSCN0107

carpet replacement? DSCN0108

carpet replacement? DSCN0109

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Those damned torx sockets. I picked up a set with the whole range from T15 to T55 from Harbor Freight for like $9. From reading around I see it's going to serve me well. lol

The seatbelt bolts use a torx 50. They are really tight, but will fit, and if you use a long breaker, they always come out easily. If you use a 45 or 47, you risk breaking the bit. About the only size I have not used is the 55.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 pm

T45 for all of the bolts. A little loose, but worked just fine.
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 am

FYI - the seat belt bolts use a Torx T47, you can make do with a 45 or 50.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Looking good...you put that peel and seal down NICE!!
Back to top Go down
occupant

occupant

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 am

I was so happy when I bought my last impound auction car. '90 Ciera SL sedan, all loaded up but abused to death, for $225. It did run well enough to drive home but the cradle had been hit so I had to scrap it. Anyway, get it home, opened the trunk up and there was this HUGE collection of tools. Torx bits T-8 through T-70 missing a couple but the T-47 is THERE. Lots of home invasion stuff actually including breaker bars, hammers, modified screwdrivers, etc. Plenty of socket sets and socket, several Craftsman and MAC too. Also a floor jack, two CD-cassette car stereos, and two handguns, one loaded. I made so much money selling off the guns and stereos it paid for the car and the gas to get up to Fort Worth and back to get it. And I kept all the tools.
Back to top Go down
http://mybeaterworld.com
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 10:30 am

*Bump*

Have we determined a place that doesn't get their carpet from ACC?

Or, better question. Would an ACC carpet fit better if its steamed into place? A family friend does auto interiors and has a steamer.

My carpet has developed some sort of smell that I can't get out. Coupled with the fact its faded, and torn. It's time to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: carpet replacement?   carpet replacement? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

carpet replacement?
Page 1 of 1