GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Lost 1st and 4th...............  But she is working now!!!   Empty
PostSubject: Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!    Lost 1st and 4th...............  But she is working now!!!   Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Ok, Friday of last week the tranny (1994 4L60E) began shifting VERY hard into first and second gears. I was in Pittsuburgh and had not choice but to drive it home (250 miles). On Saturday I ordered some Piece Parts from Transmissionpartsusa.com.

On Monday is worked but was still shifting funny. Drove back to Pittsburgh in the raging snow storm I talked about in another post.

On Tuesday morning 1st gear began to fail totally. She would start in second gear when I stopped. I drove back home.

On Wednesday I left early to drive about 30 miles to Shippensburg. 1st gear still out but now 4th was not coming in either!! It was cold (0*F). I stopped at a fuel station and checked the fluid. It appeared to be down (i think I was mistaken because nothing was leaking or burning) but it was early and I am not sure my eyes were working just yet. I put a jigger of Lucas tranny treatment in. It was so cold it was like poring Jello!!! So I mixed it with some fluid and added a quart or two. Still no 1st or 4th. Made it to Shipp and home.

Parked the car on Thursday and Friday. Thursday afternoon I finished the valve body on the extra rebuilt tranny I have in the garage, just in case.

Today I pulled the pan and the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoid. Used a 90 volt battery (local tranny guy suggested) and tested their functionality. One was not working... WOOT... found the issue. Tested the Electronic Pressure Solenoid while I had the pan off. It seem to be ok. Put the pan on, filled the fluid and it works................ $25 in solenoids and $30 in fluid are a lot cheaper than $1200 that they want to rebuild the tranny!! Also saves me from changing the other tranny I have in the garage.

Thanks Joel for your help and encouragement. Thank you Sonnax for good info on your web site..........

Tim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!    Lost 1st and 4th...............  But she is working now!!!   Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Awesome! Sure glad that was all it was! Good deal!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!    Lost 1st and 4th...............  But she is working now!!!   Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Funny, I was just outside replacing the input shaft speed sensor on my wife's 99 Chrysler Town & Country which had flaked out and the PCM decided to leave it in 2nd gear as its version of "limp home." Read the code with my scanner, paid $20 for the sensor, 30 minutes to swap it out from start to finish, cleared the codes and away we go!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!    Lost 1st and 4th...............  But she is working now!!!   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lost 1st and 4th............... But she is working now!!!
Page 1 of 1