GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Add cornering lights to OCC?

Go down 
+3
WagonLover
jayoldschool
95BRMW
7 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Add cornering lights to OCC? Empty
PostSubject: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 am

My 91 OCC does not have cornering lights, and I would love to add them. I picked up some lenses and sockets at the yard, but don't see any wiring on this car to splice into. Is the wiring already there somewhere like the 94+ cars? The 91 Caprice I pulled the lights out of had the connector for the corners taped to the outside of the harness' wire loom like it was an after thought or something.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:45 pm

All you need is the harness from a cornering light car. It will plug right in to the stock harness. The wire goes to the connector that is already in your car.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm

I looked under there today and that connector is not there. The orange/brown wiring isn't even in the loom on the DS fender. I gotta do some digging and see if this wiring exists anywhere on this car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Learn something new every day.I always thought that the cornering lights were standard on all OCC.Dont drive much at night but they sure are handy to have when driving on dark backroads.When I went to the clear turning lense WOW
did that makea difference.Have to check my service manual.
Good Luck
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 pm

The clear lens does make a huge difference. I have them on my RMW and love them. I was surprised to see my OCC doesn't have them, just assumed all did.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

was this an option for buicks?.. i got me a 92 and curious about these corner light and i pulled mines out and there is not even a hole for the socket and bulb to go into.. i would love a set of these things!..
Back to top Go down
https://www.photobucket.com/wagonlover
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Not available on Caprice, optional on Olds and Standard (but deletable) on Buick. Wink

My Cruiser doesn't have them and no harness for it. So I spliced into the turn signal wiring and put amber bulbs in there. Nice bright corner signals now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Was it optional on the later Caprice? The wiring is there on those.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

The OCC I sold didn't have, the one I kept does. Neither of my Caprices has and the three RMWs that have gone through here all had them. Never bothered to look for the harness, but plan to add them to my 94 Caprice when I get going on that car...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm

What do you mean cornering lights? Like when your headlights come on the side markers do too?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Cornering lights are white lamps which come on with the turn signal but don't flash. They are quite good at lighting up... well corners. Wink Caddy's typically have them or used to anyway.

95BRMW wrote:

Certainly possible, never seen them on a Cappy though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 pm

I added them to my 95 1A2, it was really easy being the wiring was right there. My RMW was the first car I ever drove with them and I feel lost without them, LOL. On a side note, being light related, the OCC has the brightest factory head lights of any B-body I ever owned. Almost makes the cornering lights not as much of a big deal. All my other B-bodies lights are just pathetic.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:47 pm

say if this wiring was not there.. and you wanted to wire it yourself.. but did not want it to go with the blinker.. you wanted it to stay on like it should.. should there be a splicing deal goin to the computer im assuming?..
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:51 pm

The wiring is there, until the connector. To get it to work properly, you need the harness from the connector to the lights from a car that has cornering lights. Or, a pin added to the stock connector, then added wiring run to the cornering lights.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
The wiring is there, until the connector. To get it to work properly, you need the harness from the connector to the lights from a car that has cornering lights. Or, a pin added to the stock connector, then added wiring run to the cornering lights.

But I don't even have the connector on my car. The donor car had a 2 pin connector electrical taped on the outside of the headlight harness right by where the large connector comes out. I don't have that connector, and don't see the orange and brown wire in the loom for the head light harness.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 pm

How come these cars only had one side corner lights like that?.. just figured someone might know.. just find that odd.. my buddies lincoln and caddy corner lights both light up..
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 pm

95BRMW wrote:
My 91 OCC does not have cornering lights, and I would love to add them. I picked up some lenses and sockets at the yard, but don't see any wiring on this car to splice into. Is the wiring already there somewhere like the 94+ cars? The 91 Caprice I pulled the lights out of had the connector for the corners taped to the outside of the harness' wire loom like it was an after thought or something.

Hey 95BRMW i dont wanna steal the thread but i took some pics of that wire harness.. i was bored and i figured it could help someone out if they cant seem to find the harness..
Add cornering lights to OCC? CIMG4524
Add cornering lights to OCC? CIMG4525
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for the pics, I'll take a look and hope I find it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:10 am

95BRMW wrote:

DBeaSSt wrote:
Not available on Caprice, optional on Olds and Standard (but deletable) on Buick. Wink

My '93 Caprice has the plugs. Saw one of them while I was working on my stalling issue.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Looked again, and its not there. Here's what I have.
Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3060
Can anyone tell me what these are for?
Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3062
Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3063
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3060

Are these the wires that go to the lights? If yes, count the wires on one side of the connector, and the wires coming out the other side.
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Alright.. this is gettin me a little upset now.. since this thread came about.. i been tryin to connect this light up myself.. i called up the dealship.. i ask them can i get the wire harness/socket to get this thing goin.. i get the socket in.. part #8862188.. i get it in and its three wires.. one im guessing is ground.. ok i can deal with this.. now im doin reseach and i can not find the male connector to go into this female connector.. is this male connecter even avaliable?..
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Ok, I have the document that will settle everything. Step by step, wires, connectors, everything. It even shows how to use a 91 to 93 harness in a 94-96 car. It is a PDF, however. Can someone host that? I don't know where to upload it.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:12 pm

I checked, there's 6 wires in one side, 6 out the other. I can host the PDF for you off my web site if you want to email it to me. My address is moldymac at snet dot net.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Just sent you the article. Have a look, and let me know what you think.

Jason.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 pm

95BRMW wrote:

Can anyone tell me what these are for?
Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3062
Add cornering lights to OCC? DSCF3063

The one orange and red harness by the relays has a 20amp fuse in it on mine, I'd bet it's for the ALC but mine doesn't have that other identical one over by the driver headlight, and my car is fully loaded. Also, on my OCC I have the cornering light harness on the driver side taped up like I saw in that Caprice we looked at at the JY. So that whole cornering light harness being taped to the rest of the wires is apparently factory. Don't know why yours does not have that connector or those two wires, guess you're special...
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Here's a how-to for installing the cornering lights provided by jayoldschool. This only covers installing it in the 94-96 B-body. If you haven't done this already on your 94-96, go do it, its extremely easy. I did this on my 1A2 with sockets I got from autozone and some wire.
http://ex-vtc.gotdns.com/downloads/Cornering_Lights.pdf
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 am

What if you have a 92.. i see they talk briefly.. what if you already have the two wire connector thats orange and black?.. do i just need that pigtail in that picture then?.. and another question is on the passanger side is there supose to be a wiring harness as well for this on buicks?..
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:39 pm

WagonLover wrote:
What if you have a 92.. i see they talk briefly.. what if you already have the two wire connector thats orange and black?.. do i just need that pigtail in that picture then?.. and another question is on the passanger side is there supose to be a wiring harness as well for this on buicks?..
There's only one connector (on the drivers side) that works both L & R cornering lights. You just need the sockets for the lamps, the connector, and the wiring to the pass. side. IIRC a car that does not have factory cornering lights will not have the holes in the light housing for the sockets, but you can cut them yourself, it's pretty thin plastic. Or just get from a JY everything you need from one with cornering lights. Take a look at this pic, I'ts a scan out of my '92 FSM. Shows how the front end wiring is laid out. The cornering light connector that you're seeing is labeled as "TO BODY HARNESS (BLK) 57 - 58" in the drawing.Add cornering lights to OCC? 92fron10
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

95BRMW, Here's a scan out of my '92 FSM showing 2 of the Cornering Light Diagnosis pages. It shows pretty well where exactly the cornering light wiring goes from that connector you're missing all the way back past the firewall into the car and where it originates from. So, if you are in fact missing that wiring, you can put it in yourself! It's a large image so I put it up on my Picassa. Click the link and you can click the zoom button to enlarge it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lynolsoffice/CarStuff#5582238014130014066
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Ahhh, so that explains why there is only one plug.... Did all Roadmasters have cornering lights?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Alright guys, got into it a little more today, and I can now confirm that the harness does not exist on my car. Took a look under the column and found 3 terminals that don't go anywhere. It has a black, brown, and orange wire. The black and orange correspond to the wires that normally go to the cornering lights. Looking at pic one, you can see what connector I am talking about, its right on the bottom of the column. Thanks to Lynol's scan of his manual, I can see that the wiring is suppose to be as follows. From left to right on the connector, Black is for the Right corner light, Orange is for the left corner light, and brown is suppose to have 12v supplied when the head lights are on. A little probing with my meter confirms that the orange and black are switched and change positions depending which direction the stalk is pushed. So at this point, I have to run 2 wires out to the front of the car, and provide power to that brown terminal on the column from the head light switch.
As far as the lights go, if you pull them from a JY car, they will have just 2 wires. One is positive from the switch, and the other is ground. The second pic is the wiring I cut out of a 91 Caprice at the yard a few months ago.
If you buy a light socket at the store like I did for my 1A2, they will have 3 wires. A brown, yellow, and black. Connect the black to a good body ground, and connect the brown and yellow wires together and then splice into your wire for the cornering light. The socket is PN 25830 from Autozone. Its meant for turn signals, so thats why there's two wires that need to be powered, that way both filaments turn on like the factory lights. Hope this helps you guys.
Add cornering lights to OCC? Harness
Add cornering lights to OCC? Lights
Back to top Go down
WagonLover

WagonLover

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 am

95BRMW wrote:
Alright guys, got into it a little more today, and I can now confirm that the harness does not exist on my car. Took a look under the column and found 3 terminals that don't go anywhere. It has a black, brown, and orange wire. The black and orange correspond to the wires that normally go to the cornering lights. Looking at pic one, you can see what connector I am talking about, its right on the bottom of the column. Thanks to Lynol's scan of his manual, I can see that the wiring is suppose to be as follows. From left to right on the connector, Black is for the Right corner light, Orange is for the left corner light, and brown is suppose to have 12v supplied when the head lights are on. A little probing with my meter confirms that the orange and black are switched and change positions depending which direction the stalk is pushed. So at this point, I have to run 2 wires out to the front of the car, and provide power to that brown terminal on the column from the head light switch.
As far as the lights go, if you pull them from a JY car, they will have just 2 wires. One is positive from the switch, and the other is ground. The second pic is the wiring I cut out of a 91 Caprice at the yard a few months ago.
If you buy a light socket at the store like I did for my 1A2, they will have 3 wires. A brown, yellow, and black. Connect the black to a good body ground, and connect the brown and yellow wires together and then splice into your wire for the cornering light. The socket is PN 25830 from Autozone. Its meant for turn signals, so thats why there's two wires that need to be powered, that way both filaments turn on like the factory lights. Hope this helps you guys.
Add cornering lights to OCC? Harness
Add cornering lights to OCC? Lights

If there was a "like" deal like facebook i would "like" this fifty times!.. Helps a bunch!.. i would love to see some pics of when you get it lit up?..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Add cornering lights to OCC?   Add cornering lights to OCC? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Add cornering lights to OCC?
Page 1 of 1