GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Distributor noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:57 am

Since I picked up my 91 OCC last week there has been an intermittent chirping/rattle coming from the engine (you can hear it while driving). It almost never makes the noise when you want it to (working under the hood). While doingn exhaust work It started making the noise and I pinned it down to the distributer. When it makes the noise, if you hold the cap you can feel it coming from there. A stethescope confirms its coming from there. I replaced the cap and rotor, nothing seemed loose. Aside from it driving me nuts, is this something that can be ignored, at least for now?

Last edited by 95BRMW on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 am

I had to replace the distributor twice on my 93 S-10 4.3. They wear out. First was at 120K, 2nd was at 260K. The noise sounds just like what mine did....
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Did it outright die on you or did you replace it before it left you stranded?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm

I replaced it when it started making noise. You can hear it through the firewall.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Yeah, mine is at that point. Did you go with a new one or a yard pull? Any recomendations?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Autozone, was around $100 I think. Such fun.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm

I think its the distributor shaft bushing is worn badly and the noise is the shaft bouncing around inside the cap.Was the old cap and rotor badly chewed up.If so just buy a rebuilt one and get the lifetime warranty if available.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 pm

The old cap didn't look too bad, must have been done recently. I guess a swap is in my future! I haven't done much work on these old engines before. The last time I worked on one of these was many years ago when I helped my dad replace the distributor on his old 305 powered truck. Does the distributor run through the intake manifold at all? I have a hell of a leak on the back of the engine and suspect the back of the manifold and would rather do everything at once. The whole tranny and frame behind the engine is oil soaked.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Take the cap off and wiggle the shaft.
You can leave the rotor on to have something to grab onto.
You should not feel any play or wobble in it. If so, replace it.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 am

I'll have to check that this weekend. I saw that Advance sells replacement bushings cheap, anyone change those out?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:12 am

FYI, don't bother buying the bushings the parts stores sell, they don't appear to go anywhere in these distrubutors. I have a feeling they are meant for older vacuum advanced distributors, and either way are not for the shaft.
I ordered the rebuilt one from Advance (using that awesome BIG35 coupon code to get another $35 off it Cool ) . Did the install yesterday, everything went smooth. She runs much quiter now, and the noise the alternator makes is a bit more noticable now. Aside from not knowing where I put my timing light, its all done. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Distributor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor noise   Distributor noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distributor noise
Page 1 of 1