GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Distributor bad?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Don in MO

Don in MO

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 11:11 am

Here’s what I posted on Facebook. I asked about the low engine level light and service engine light here before and that they were not related. Mechanic says they are. Blames it on the distributor, plugs & wires. I told the shop I wanted to research before allowing them to replace the distributor.

What say you?
Don actually in Thompson IA

Had a mechanic look at the 95 wagon this week. Under full throttle the low oil level light comes on with the service engine light. They told me the code is a 39 and points to the distributor and/or spark plugs/wires. All three were replaced when purchased in the spring of 21. Distributor was an O’Reilly’s. Also did the electric fan conversion. Early summer replaced the AC compressor.

Except for that issue the engine operates fine. Even getting 19-20 mpg for a tow package that my 96 tow package I had in MO couldn’t touch.

I looked up the OBD 1 codes and 39 does not coincide with what I was told. I could have heard wrong and got the wrong number, my hearing is bad. Or is that the correct code using an OBD 1 to 2 adapter and OBD 2 code reader? Is it a wiring problem and not related to the distributor at all?

If the problem is the distributor what would you do since the Mitsubishi opti-spark is no more? They want to put a NAPA distributor on it. Which is fine because they will warranty it but if it doesn’t work then what?

Is the dynaspark distributor an option? Any other distributor options that do not have a Mitsubishi sensor?[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looking for any ideas besides trying to find a Mitsubishi sensor in a junk yard(if that is the problem), I do not have the time.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 1:24 pm

The low oil light is not related to the code, and does not even throw a code. A low oil pressure light will light when the engine is about to stall, because the engine is not rotating fast enough to make enough oil pressure.

All of the distributors that do not have the Mitsubishi sensor can cause issues. Some rebuilt units may have the Mitsubushi sensor.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Don in MO likes this post

Back to top Go down
Don in MO

Don in MO

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 1:36 pm

Thanks for the explanation on the oil level light. That makes sense finally. Had to be a reason the two happened at the same time.

When the pedal is floored the car stalls. That is the connection.
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 2:02 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
All of the distributors that do not have the Mitsubishi sensor can cause issues. Some rebuilt units may have the Mitsubushi sensor.

I took the plunge in March of this year, after my OptiSpark had to be junked when trying to replace the rotor. I looked far and wide for a rebuilt OS with the Mitsubishi sensor, and could not in the time frame I had. I ended up buying a Summit unit:

6 months and 4k miles later, it is going strong -- but I am always mindful of "jinxing" it when I say that (for the reasons that you mentioned).

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 8:24 am

You can check the codes yourself through the climate control, check this link for how to do it and what the codes mean. I'd suspect if it was a code for the distributor you'd have a lot more issues. IIRC the codes are stored after the light goes out for some time

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 9:24 am

I read somewhere that the codes are stored for 50 starts.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Distributor bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distributor bad?   Distributor bad? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distributor bad?
Page 1 of 1