GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cruise control messing up on me...........

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Cruise control messing up on me........... Empty
PostSubject: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Ok my cruise started giving me intermittent problems. I would be find until it ran for about 1 hour and I went down a hill. then it would let off gradually. So I took it apart and replaced the innards (don't ask why just the inside) with unit i had with a broken cable. Now it will not function at all.

Did I miss something obvious?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 pm

I had a similar issue. Mine wouldn't engage right away. Someone suggested cleaning the plugs where the stalk and steering column plug in. I tried it, it seems to have worked but it also could have just been the unplugging and plugging back in. Check for pinched wiring too.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 pm

I will try tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
I will try tomorrow. Thanks!!!

NP. Good luck. Hope its just something silly. Btw, idk if the 93 cruise control is the same as the 94, but if you need it I can scan the pages from my FSM.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

There is a 94 sedan in the local yard. it is a 4.3 but it should work. I will stop buy and tear it off tomorrow to be sure and have an extra.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:33 pm

The stalk only engages the cruise control. It is a momentary on switch. The only other switch in the system is in the brake switch. If it is adjusted too loosely, it can act like you touched the brake.

Mine will work for a while, and then drop off. If I press the resume button, it will re-engage at the original speed. I believe the problem with mine is the solenoid that holds the transfer shaft against the gears. It could also be a corroded contact in the connector, allowing the solenoid coil to deactivate, allowing the shaft to drop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Has anybody ever noticed the stalk getting hot when the CC was engaged?I was on the
interstate heading home and had the CC engaged and when I reached to grab the stalk I
was surprised by how warm the stalk was.It was and always has worked great but the heat
caught me offguard.Picked up a set of RWL 225/70/15 Tiger Paw GTS today in like new shape
for $125 bucks and the white letters look like brand new and the tread is great.Not sure what
I am going to do with them but they will be used on a wagon.Let me know about the CC stalk
getting hot.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Could be a blown 3rd brake light bulb too... Really.

But more than likely, the brake switch needs some adjusting.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Has anybody ever noticed the stalk getting hot when the CC was engaged?I was on the
interstate heading home and had the CC engaged and when I reached to grab the stalk I
was surprised by how warm the stalk was.It was and always has worked great but the heat
caught me offguard.Picked up a set of RWL 225/70/15 Tiger Paw GTS today in like new shape
for $125 bucks and the white letters look like brand new and the tread is great.Not sure what
I am going to do with them but they will be used on a wagon.Let me know about the CC stalk
getting hot.
Take Care
Jim Gordon

Jim,

Those are good tires. We have those on our Fleetwood and my boss' DeVille. Very quiet, good in snow too.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Now the cruise does not even engage. how do you adjust the brake light switch?
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 pm

if you wind up needing a new one tim i have my original from my car. how did the welder work out for you
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I will take it John. Think I might be in your neighborhood next week. Welder is great, but not the weld'y. Still working on it.

Need a new helmet as well. Mine is doing the same thing your was doing.

Thanks!!

Tim
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Did I mention that the cruise is working wonderfully, thanks to John.

I was a little disappointed that he did not have it powder coated for me before I go there. Sad What do you know. You ask for free parts the least the guy can do is clean prep and powder coat it. What is the world coming to. Rumor has it he tried to powder coat the kids. But I think Katie was to fast for him!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

So, what did you do to fix it?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:54 am

John gave me his old unit and it worked..............
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

katie would destroy the oven. she would talk it to death
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
katie would destroy the oven. she would talk it to death

THE MAN SPEAKETH THE TRUTH!!!! Tell her Mr. Tim says hello!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control messing up on me...........   Cruise control messing up on me........... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruise control messing up on me...........
Page 1 of 1