GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'95 Longroof GS Project

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Man from Knobstock

Man from Knobstock

'95 Longroof GS Project Empty
PostSubject: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm just starting to take a $900 CraigsList find (1995 Roadmaster Estate Wagon) and rework it into something more fun and comfortable. Thought you guys would want to follow along and, perhaps, make a suggestion or two. Here's the link to a blog I set up for the project.
http://longroofgransport.wordpress.com/

By the way, if there are any other wagon cruisers who'd like to add their project to the blog, I will do my best to post pictures and articles.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Verey sharp! I don't remember seeing a non-wood Roady in that color. Nice project!
Back to top Go down
Man from Knobstock

Man from Knobstock

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, that VIN codes website, the one that tells you exactly how many of the cars were made with each individual option, says this one is one of two with this package. I lucked out, I think. Added another brighter picture just now.
'95 Longroof GS Project Ss-rims-mounted1
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Hmm...body colored grill.. Got me thinking....
Back to top Go down
Man from Knobstock

Man from Knobstock

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 4:43 pm

81X11 wrote:
Hmm...body colored grill.. Got me thinking....

Well, there's a story behind that "experiment." Wanna hear it? Well, I'll tell you, anyway.....

The grille you see actually had worn out chrome plating and a crack on one edge. An embarrassment, really. So I got out my stock paint and clearcoat to touch up a major defect in the rear post, and thought -- what do I have to lose? -- I'll throw some paint on it, leaving the waterfall chrome. My thinking was it would look a great deal like an SS grille treatment, especially when I added the GS in the center. Did you see the detail photo at the Pacific Northwest Longroofs blog? One bit of advice, though, is BE SURE to adequately scuff/sand the chrome because it will chip easily. I suggest using a Dremel and file to detail the edges.

I also used superglue (CA Glue) to repair the crack, and it worked!

A couple of other things: I masked off the waterfall and painted the surround. Then, after that had been clearcoated, I taped off the FRONT of the waterfall to protect the thin areas of chrome, then sprayed the grill black from the BACKSIDE. This made the chrome really jump out.

Also, I chose not to bondo over the "B-U-I-C-K" lettering. Wish I had. As it is, it's still the body color, but I'll eventually get out a fine brush and paint the letters red. Some guy took the lead on this at the ImpalaSSForums.com site and photoshopped it both ways, if you want a preview.

I'm a believer that the difference is in the details, and this one small improvement worked out quite well, I think. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Man from Knobstock on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Afternoon Knobs and I like what you are doing with your longroof.I have a 95 woody RMW with the adriatic lite blue paintjob.I want to dewood mine and I already have the GS emblems.Going to use
window tint in lite blue to give the wagon a sedan delivery appearance.Going to put my BBS wheels
17x8 from the OCC on the Roady.Putting a set of factory alloys back on the OCC with 225/70 tires with RWL.Cant decide whether or not to go RWL or blackwall out.Kinda leaning towards RWL.Anyhow keep up the good work and more pics please.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '95 Longroof GS Project   '95 Longroof GS Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'95 Longroof GS Project
Page 1 of 1