GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose

Go down 
+5
94Woody
Sprocket
200OZ
Cadet57
81X11
9 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Empty
PostSubject: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 am

I just noticed this yesterday, and it's goofy, but it bugs me. My column shifter is loose. You know when you pull it toward you before pulling it down out of park and into gear, how that is spring loaded? Well I guess my "spring" is about worn out. The shifter does not spring back when you let it go. I've had a TON of GM cars with this steering column and shifter and have never seen this before.

I have no issues shifting, it still moves out of park and goes into all gears fine, but it just "feels" broken now. When it's in gear I can wiggle the shifter arm back and forth with my pinky finger.

The car hit 93K miles yesterday. I guess I'm just wearing it out!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

Its not worn out Mike it just needs to be adjusted to eliminate the slop in the linkage.Your service
manual tells you how to adjust the linkage and tighten everything up.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 am

Anyone care to share the info from the manual? I don't have one....yet. Chiltons does not count.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

81X11 wrote:
Anyone care to share the info from the manual? I don't have one....yet. Chiltons does not count.

Maybe someone can answer if they are the same procedure, but I have my '93 FSM I can scan if you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 am

I am working on it Mike,patience my friend patience.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks. It feels like the detent spring in the column broke or is worn out. It feels normal when I move the shifter up and down, it's only loose when moving the lever fore and aft.

I wonder if I pulled the shifter arm out if I could see in there, and possibly replace the spring....

If that's the issue...

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:43 am

Wait whoa, you can adjust this? I thought it just happened with age.

I'm interested. lol
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 12:52 pm

I fixed mine by installing a Bravada console/floor shifter.

Come on Mike.... Do It!

Oh, and go back to that yard and get that Reatta Steering wheel.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm

my 94 RMW suffers from limp shifter syndrome too. It's just like the spring is gone and the shifter flops to and fro....Was like that 60K ago when I bought it. Never got around to dealing with it yet (too many other more important issues on the car).
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:33 pm

You don't have slop in the linkage but you can move the shifter in and out freely while it is in park...correct? Meaning it just flops in and out instead of springing back.

Very common issue with these cars,my sedan was like this when I bought it and it stayed that way.

The spring inside the column is broken. Don't know if it has been discussed here but there should be plenty of threads at ISSF on how to properly repair it.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

94Woody wrote:
You don't have slop in the linkage but you can move the shifter in and out freely while it is in park...correct? Meaning it just flops in and out instead of springing back.

Very common issue with these cars,my sedan was like this when I bought it and it stayed that way.

The spring inside the column is broken. Don't know if it has been discussed here but there should be plenty of threads at ISSF on how to properly repair it.

Yep, that's the issue. Will have to look on ISSF.

Weird.. My 93 S-10 had the same steering column and when I sold it at 200K miles it was still fine. Diddo the 86 Caprice, '89 Olds Custom Cruiser, and many others I've had.

I know it's not a HUGE deal but it made the car feel....older.

Will look on ISSF.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:00 pm

I went to ISSF and there is a heading for a loose shifter on a 95....but it won't open the link. If anyone else is a member of there and can cut and past the fix I'd appreicate it!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:40 pm

What's the date of the thread on ISSF? All threads from before September 2010 vanished in the Great Data Loss. Only the thread titles remain . . .

A boneheaded tech at the host company deleted ten years worth of forum data. The owner, Hack, was then told that no backups had been made for a very long time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 pm

Yep it was 2009. SHOOT!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm going to pop out the pin and pull the shift lever out and see if I can get at the spring in there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:36 pm

I thought you could still read some of the text from those threads via google cache, etc? Just not see photos.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

If anyone figures this out, please re-post it here. Sounds like others have had this issue too. Would be nice to know the fix.

This sure got me thinking about a floor shift swap....
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

81X11 wrote:
If anyone figures this out, please re-post it here. Sounds like others have had this issue too. Would be nice to know the fix.

This sure got me thinking about a floor shift swap....

The JY near me has a nice tan Bravada console, just needs a cleaning... Wink
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I thought you could still read some of the text from those threads via google cache, etc? Just not see photos.

Not anymore. Google flushes the caches, so there is a limited time to recover the data. After a year and a half, it's gone.

A lot of guys were trying to remember the best threads and to recover them from Google back when it happened.

Last edited by Nick Danger on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Damn.

What about archive.org? That really sucks....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

Dime-a-dozen here too....just not in dark red.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Damn.

What about archive.org? That really sucks....

Supposedly, the new owners of ISSF are recovering the data. After half a year, I'm not too optimistic.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 pm

If I remember correctly Mike, the fix involves removing the Arm. Once the arm is out you can fish the broken spring out with a pick or needle nose pliers. I think they say it is kind of PIA on your first attempt.

Wish I had kept the column I took out of my Caprice so I could experiment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Mike,your other cars didnt have the shifter/brake interlock did they?I know that the newer cars
with the push brake before shifting from park mechanisms do get out of adjustment and that
causes the excess play.Having a problem scanning my service manual probably because I dont
know how or own a scan tool.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 pm

The shift interlock in my wagon was non functional and the shifter arm was still spring loaded and worked perfectly.

The shift interlock locks a pin inside the column that keeps the shift lever in park.

Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose 101_1549
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm interested in this. I pulled a spring out of fleetwood at a yard thinking mine was missing somehow.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 7:31 am

Ok, so I'm going to run down to Wrench-A-Part tomorrow morning and yank the shift arm out of that blue Roady wagon they have there, and see if I can fish the spring out. I've got two pics and some needle nose in my box.

I'm also throwing my steering wheel puller in the box. I may come home with a Reatta wheel. We'll see.....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 pm

From the Impala forum:

The spring is probably broken. You can replace it without disassembling the entire steering column. The instructions are in any FSM for B bodies. Tap the pivot for the shift lever out with a drift, replace the spring (a magnetic or mechanical holder helps to position and insert the spring). Then you may need a homemade shim to hold the spring back while inserting the shift lever.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 10:57 pm

when i removed my spring for flr shifter conversion the spring was a tight fit to get it out if any one needs a pic of spring i think i know where it is
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 am

The spring I pulled out of the fleetwood did not come out easily. In fact, I resulted to breaking the shifter mount open to get it out. BTW, the spring is a lot longer than it first looked.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 am

This is fixed. I pulled the shift arm and got a flashlight and could not see a spring in there. Ended up calling Rob, more former boss, the El Camino nut. He had me bring the Roady over to his shop. He took the column apart, and the old spring was totally missing (?)

I now have an El Camino spring in my column. It's perfect again, not loose at all. Made me happy...as little things tend to do.... Rolling Eyes

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 pm

I like it when I use google to find an answer to a prollum and it brings me home.

Thanks for asking about this 2.5 years ago, Mike!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose   Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid new issue - Shifter Arm is Loose
Page 1 of 1