GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spare tire well??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Grammabud

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 2:52 pm

New to me 95 Caprice wagon with rusted spare tire well. Any suggestions on replacement or repair needed.
Many thanks in advance...
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 4:31 pm

they have paints available that stop rust but if you bad cancer you will have to cut out bad area and graff in new, simple welding needed. take a pic of the area and I can give you a better idea of your needs
Back to top Go down
Grammabud

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Thanks but I know how to make the repairs. I guess I'm really asking is there a replacement well I can weld in or ???
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm

I think the only replacements you will find are at the junk yard.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
thecustomshop

thecustomshop

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Agreed, junk yard.
Back to top Go down
Grammabud

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I found an old Harley fender that looks promising. I'll lat you know...
Back to top Go down
Grammabud

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Well, I tried two different width fenders and neither was wide enough. I finally settled on a slice of 55 gallon steel drum. This will work...
Back to top Go down

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Now that's interesting! Got pics? I may be doing the same thing soon. lol
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 5:00 pm

The drum makes sense. Don't forget the drain hole at the bottom.
Back to top Go down

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 5:12 pm

I was thinking that a trailer fender from Harbor Freight would be just about the right width and
the curvature is easily changed.Cheap too.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Whats the matter nobody like my trailer fender idea?Well I thought it was pretty good!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 2:52 pm

what if you cut the whole thing out and weld in a flat pc. i never liked how it hangs lower than the rest of car. does anyone know if a space saver would fit if it had a flat bottom
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Grammabud

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 6:11 pm

I just dropped a donut spare in the well and there is 5+" above the tire to the inside of the tire cover. The well drops down just over 3". This might be the best idea yet.
I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm

cool if you do it i would love to see pics. i think it would look good
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 12:47 am

mtrhead79 wrote:
what if you cut the whole thing out and weld in a flat pc. i never liked how it hangs lower than the rest of car. does anyone know if a space saver would fit if it had a flat bottom

i cut mine off hated how it hung way under the rest of the car looked goofy i then stuck a 7 gallon long air tank where the spare tire went so i dont see why the donut spare that was in the car wouldnt fit

Spare tire well?? 176824_1672763704301_1393669787_31487979_5282018_o

i cut just below the body line and used a body hammer to dolly it round im not a body man by no means
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spare tire well?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare tire well??   Spare tire well?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare tire well??
Page 1 of 1