GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spare tire compartment rust?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Spare tire compartment rust? Empty
PostSubject: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm

So I was cleaning out my car before I drove back to school last a couple of weekends ago (which was an AWESOME drive, by the way) and I wanted to figure out how that big plastic piece came off to expose the spare tire. I figured that out, and noticed the little pull thing for the tire was put on the wrong way, so I removed the tire, intending to put it on properly.

What I found, was some rust, and some holes. My dad says that this was/is common with the B-Body wagons. How would I go about fixing the rust and preventing it from returning? I assume I would need to have new metal welded in, but could you also coat that entire area with fiberglass, to prevent it from rusting again?

Insight appreciated. Smile I'm going to get all/most of the body work done over the summer, and hopefully some paint Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 pm

If you want to do something that will make your car look better, remove the bulge below the body line (seen from the PS outside) and have a flat piece welded over the hole. Do put a drain hole in the new bottom, or you will have a higher chance of rusting out again. If you can take it to a local Vo tech school, they will only charge you for materials. As far as rust proofing, It depends where you are driving the car. In the south, paint is good. In the north, undercoating will help. There is a rubber block in the tire well, and you should make sure it does not block the drain hole.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 7:11 pm

I live in Florida, so snow, etc. and all that crappy weather doesn't affect me. I think I'm going to look into local vo techs here in Jacksonville and down south. I don't know of any at all.

I'll have to take a look, I don't really recall a bulge like you describe.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:04 pm

The bulge is under the car. If you look at the spot where the tire sits, it will stick down about and inch and a half below the body line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Ahh... I see what you're talking about now. So I can have that cut and a flat piece welded in, and the tire will still fit? Smile That would solve my problem and make it look better at the same time. I support.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:47 pm

The mini spare should fit even without the bump. Measure it first, just to be sure. A full size tire probably will not fit. If you take the rubber block out, it will give you more heigth to work with. Remember to put a drain hole in the bottom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I have a full size spare though. So I guess that won't work for me.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Pick up a mini spare at the yard...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:28 pm

I could... but bleh. I like my full size spare.

Plus with it, I don't have to rotate my spare to the front in the event of a flat.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:57 pm

not only that, REAL muscle cars don't come with a space saver spare tire....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 9:35 am

Krzdimond wrote:
not only that, REAL muscle cars don't come with a space saver spare tire....
True,.. real muscle cars come with run flats,..

nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

Or a can of Fix A Flat...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:25 am

lol Nick, I'd be all over some Run Flats, but these tires are in way too good of shape. I figure I'll just turn the whitewalls in and enjoy.

Then maybe upgrade to some nice fat wide tires afterward Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire compartment rust?   Spare tire compartment rust? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare tire compartment rust?
Page 1 of 1