GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Empty
PostSubject: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:29 pm

So while giving a quick over what the hell happened to the car last night I noticed I have a fluid leak towards the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects to the U-Joint. We were discussing just dropping the whole rear end to replace all the seals. Can anyone give me a good rundown of part numbers or if there is a kit that does them all thats perfect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Justin does the leak look fairly new and how bad is it leaking?May not need to tear it apart just
yet and I know you have other prioritys!
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Justin does the leak look fairly new and how bad is it leaking?May not need to tear it apart just
yet and I know you have other prioritys!

It looks fairly old. Its covered the outside bottom of the differential pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 pm

There was a set of instructions for R&R on the ISSF, but I do not know if it survived the crash. Replacing the seal can be done with out having to replace the crush sleeve if you mark the location of the nut. While you are doing all that, check your axles and their seals. Look at the axles for a groove where the seal runs. groove=bad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Its just me but I would check the grease level and condition and put the repairs on the must
do eventually list.Check the U-joints for play and the ring and pinon for play aand any strange noises and plan accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Its just me but I would check the grease level and condition and put the repairs on the must
do eventually list.Check the U-joints for play and the ring and pinon for play aand any strange noises and plan accordingly.

Fluid level is a bit low. I'll top that off and put in some more posi fluid as well. Hopefully all the car needs is some new wheel studs and a rotor so I can focus on this before WF.

Also, poking around ISSF, I found this thread

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=25146 . It sounds like my issue. Also, Navy Lifer posted a p/n and Rock Auto comes back with this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1268464 . Is this what i'm going to need?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:07 pm

pull the rear end to re seal it??

oy vey,.

try getting the pinion nut off a rear end thats not in the car,.unless you have a decent 1/2 drive impact,.it,s not easy,.

better pull the motor to change the water pump.

nick
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:10 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
pull the rear end to re seal it??

oy vey,.

We were going to do all of the seals and gaskets on the rear end, plus the u-joint, oh and I wanted to sand and paint it without having to spend all day laying under the car. So yes, I will be removing it...

phantom 309 wrote:
unless you have a decent 1/2 drive impact,.it,s not easy

Oh we have one of those. cheers

phantom 309 wrote:
better pull the motor to change the water pump.

Sigh....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm

you're gonna remove and paint the rear end and detail it on that rust bucket??

hahaha,.

gonna paint it yellow to match your skin color, with the happy face on it?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

hahaha,.

It's sad how dumb you make yourself look everyday on here. Is this how you justify your pitiful existence? To be a wannabe asshole on an internet forum? Sad....
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

hahaha,.

It's sad how dumb you make yourself look everyday on here. Is this how you justify your pitiful existence? To be a wannabe asshole on an internet forum? Sad....

Y'know something that's really weird??,.
i think the same damn thing about you you pathetic twit.
you got rear discs on your wagon?? or mebbe you just ought to check the front ROTOR, to see if it got hurt because the rear wheel fell off,.

your mechanical skills and abilities are only matched by your ability to tie up bandwidth discussing possiblities,.and then ask everyone to research part numbers and details and scenario's for a maybe teardown sometime,.
not to even mention every craigs list car you want that's posted,.
you got a hyundai of something to go look at for parts,..??
meh,.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:32 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

hahaha,.

Y'know something that's really weird??,.
i think the same damn thing about you you pathetic twit.

your mechanical skills and abilities are only matched by your ability to tie up bandwidth discussing possiblities,.and then ask everyone to research part numbers and details and scenario's for a maybe teardown sometime,.
meh,.

Aww. I'm a twit! Laughing Funny, I thought this was a forum for getting help with fixing these cars. And considering this is a project i've never tackled I figured i'd ask for help from our helpful and nice (note, that's not you) members. I'm sorry I can't be as blessed as you clearly are in all things mechanical. I'll be sure to pay my respects the next time I go to work on my car and I dont know what the **** im doing(In case your simpleton mind could not catch that. This is called sarcasm. That's S-A-R-C-A-S-M.. might be a hard word for you but with a little practice you might just get it!)

On another note, maybe someday you can learn punctuation. You don't need a period and a comma every time you need to enter one other other. I know they're right next to each other on the keyboard so its a stretch to figure out which one you need. But I promise you, you will figure it out if you just keep using your brain. You know, that small softball sized lump three feet above your ass. Then again, that might be hard too since you constitute one of the biggest asses i've ever had the displeasure of having stalk me on an internet forum. Is this your favorite fragrance?

Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Obsession1
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Obsession?

Stalking?

Getting help?

How Ironic,.
highly entertaining,.
I do doubt that you're smart enough to reach simpleton level yet,.

and the tired old diatribe that all losers cling to on the internet is the pull the punctuation card,.
hahaha,.

Ok,. so my punctuation isn't the greatest,. you win???? meh,.

Yu unerstodit wel enoh wen i sid you wre a lzy prik,........

so looks like i,m communicating well enough for an almost simpleton to understand me,.,.

what a laugh,.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 pm

This is too easy. It's like I hand you the simplest of retorts and all you can do is vomit them back like you're actually putting me down and consider it wit. This is more amusing than Comedy Central. God damn this is good stuff. Keep trying pal.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets   Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Axle Seals/Gaskets
Page 1 of 1