GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear axle rebuild

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mayhem1301

Rear axle rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Rear axle rebuild   Rear axle rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 1:33 am

1994 BREW I'm about to rebuild a G80 axle due to a pinion leak. 86k and the limited slip works just fine. I'd like to go from 2.92 to 3.42 while I have the thing apart. I ran into conflicting information about the rebuild kits avaliable and also the correct ring and pinion. 
I am looking at Motive Gear G10 and the G10A but do not know which one to use. 
Also is there a part number from rockauto that I can look up to get a complete housing rebuild kit or do I have to buy everything individually? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear axle rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear axle rebuild   Rear axle rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 8:16 am

You need a tone ring for the 3.42 ratio, and the correct pinion shaft. Check with the manufacturer for the correct parts. If you are using the stock posi, the kit should be good. The FSM has the instructions, minus one detail... put some sealant on the pinion shaft splines to avoid oil seepage. You need a pinion shaft holding tool, proper sockets, dial indicator, ft lb torque wrench, micrometer/caliper, and an in lb rotating torque wrench. You can borrow the rest of the tools from AutoZone. Replace the axles and bearings. Moser axles are only about $50 more than the Chinese or Indian made, but will outlast them, and are made in the USA. I have the axel specs for Moser. There are some small details I have not covered, but that is for another day.

Mayhem1301 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mayhem1301

Rear axle rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear axle rebuild   Rear axle rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 9:52 am

Thanks for the advice. I built the dana 44s in my jeep with arb air lockers and all the goodies. I understand how to set up a differential and have all the tools. I was concerned as I've seen a few guys get a rebuild kit and it be only partially correct. My rear end is 100% stock. I am also having trouble finding a tone ring for the abs as I know I have to change it with new gearing. I don't want to buy a kit that is only partially useful only to rebuy what doesn't fit. I'll do some more OEM parts number cross referencing and keep on keeping on. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear axle rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear axle rebuild   Rear axle rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2024 10:09 am

Be careful buying bearings. Even some of the name brands are now made in China.
The wagons have different axel bearings than the sedans.

Mayhem1301 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear axle rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear axle rebuild   Rear axle rebuild Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear axle rebuild
Page 1 of 1