GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?

Go down 
+18
El Tee Juan
Buicknutt
autoarcheologist
Curiousnapper
GMjonn
jayoldschool
95BRMW
phantom 309
BigBlackBeaSSt
Ancient_1
buickwagon
94X2
Nick Danger
DBeaSSt
JaySS
Sprocket
Cadet57
Lynol
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am

Is this a great OCD thread or what!!??!

Nick
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 am

I ran my 95 RMW with the towing package and here is what I have found.
1. I do have a sungate windshield, but see no RPO listed on compnine or on my SPID for it
2. I have the Grand Touring plaque on my dash
3. Codes I do have:
V92-TRAILER PROVISIONS TRLR PROVISIONS
6TM, 7TM-COMPONENT-COMPUTER SELECTED SUSPENSION SUSP
8RN, 9RN-COMPONET-COMPUTER SELECTED SUSPENSION SUSP
F40-SUSPENSION,HEAVY DUTY,FRONT AND REAR HVY DUTY SUSP
GW9-AXLE,REAR,2.93 RATIO 2.93R
G67-LEVEL CONTROL,AUTO AIR AUTO AIR LVL CONT
G80-AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL
JA2-BRAKE SYSTEM,HEAVY WEIGHT,DISC,DRUM HVY WT BRK SYS
JM4-BRAKE SYSTEM,POWER FRONT DISC,REAR DRUM,ANTI-LOCK(CAST IRON) ANTILOCK DISC/DRUM BRK
KC4-COOLING SYSTEM,ENGINE OIL ENG OIL CLG
KD1-COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION OIL TRANS OIL CLG

I beleive that is all I have regarding the trailer stuff, hope that helps someone
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

JaySS wrote:
Lynol wrote:
Darn the 8RP 9RP vs. 8RN 9RN thing isn't it. Only '94 RMW's had two different ones offered. (the RP and RN ones) Production numbers were split between about half of the cars. All '95s and '96s had the 8RN-9RN suspension RPOs. Must have just been some running change during the '94 model year.

You may be onto some sort of explanation.

Have we seen any '95 or '96 RMW's with Dynaride & RN spring codes?

If not, and we take the '94 plaque assignments as currently suspect, then it would still hold.

We still could use more input on this and the Sungate questions. So everyone feel free to up their post count with some information that is actually relevant to the forum for a change.

- J
All '95 and '96 RMWs have the RN suspension PRO codes, with the exception of I believe 2 '95 wagons which had a completely different code (not RP either). So we're barking up the wrong tree with this spring code thing. I'm willing to conclude that the Gran Touring Suspension plaque should designate V92 towing package, but that for '94 at least, the right badges didn't get on the right cars all the time. As far as the Sungate thing goes, does anyone have any other brochures to reference for '94 to '96? If all three years brochure claim it to be standard then I'm going with that. Also, if anyone has a '94 to '96 RMW without a tow pack and it has a Sungate, and no A23 RPO then I would also then conclude the Sungate was standard.
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Ok, the black 94 is a non tow pack with a Sungate and no A23 RPO.
Do I win anything?

Jon
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm

My 92 didn't have a separate RPO for Sungate. GPS worked fine through it, btw. Didn't bother with the radar detector, though.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Is there any correlation between "LEVEL CONTROL,AUTO AIR AUTO AIR LVL CONT(G67)" and the Gran Touring suspension badge?
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 pm

94X2 wrote:

Do I win anything?

Jon

Yes, for the timely sharing of requested information you & David get the admiration & appreciation of the entire forum.

Well, some of us anyway.

My RMW has the RN spring codes and the windshield has been replaced with a Safelite model. It has the DW1275 & "Solar Shaded" markings, but not the distinctive color of the PPG units.

Further checking indicates that the model number can change manufacturer-to-manufacturer and isn't necessarily consistent.

Bueller?

Anyone?

- J

Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

I talked to a friend of mine today who is in the auto glass industry. He says that the industry generally uses the PPG DOT numbers as a standardized cross-reference and often marks their windshields with the PPG number (they will also have their own DOT code elsewhere).

DW1274 is the PPG DOT code for the regular windshield and DW1275 is the PPG code for the sunshade version. Some manufacturers may be using the DW1275 code for the cross reference on the basis of fitment rather than technology, so don't trust that unless it's a PPG made windshield.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:25 am

94X2 wrote:
Do I win anything?

Jon
You get a gold star. Pretty sure that settles the Sungate thing. Sounds like it was standard equipment then.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 am

Just to clarify the air ride was part of the tow package on the LT1 Caprice wagons as well, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am

Dynaride plaque . . . GW9 - 2.93 ratio . . F40, G80, G67 - auto leveling . . . . and V92
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 12:20 am

Lynol wrote:
Sprocket wrote:
My 94 RMW with V92 and G80 says Dyna Ride.

I heard at least on the 94s they slapped those plaques on willy nilly and they don't mean much (read that on ISSF a couple years back before the GDL 2K9)
I'm starting to believe that... I think the Gran Touring suspension usually means tow pack, but I'm seeing Dynaride badged cars with the same exact stuff so yeah...
My 94 RMW tow pak equiped car has a Dynaride plaque too. As a GM retiree with 10 years in the material department I can tell you that if there was any shortage of the correctly badged IP bezel they would have put another one on in its place to keep the line moving in a heart beat, and by any shortage I mean the manufacturer had problems keeping up with production, the truck delivering it was stuck in traffic or broke down, (this was not too long after GM started using the "just in time" delivery system) or if the fork lift driver was off getting parts for some one else, the line operator would have been told to just grab the correct colored one with the different badge.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2013 6:19 am

Makes sense. My tow-pack car has the Gran Touring plaque.
Back to top Go down
Curiousnapper

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:36 am

Mechanical fan, oil cooler. No posi, no air shocks.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Sprocket wrote:
My 94 RMW with V92 and G80 says Dyna Ride.

I heard at least on the 94s they slapped those plaques on willy nilly and they don't mean much (read that on ISSF a couple years back before the GDL 2K9)

Our 94 tow pack wagon has a Dynaride plaque.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 am

i've got a rare bird 96 wb4, v92, g80, n91 steelies with cloth and 80k miles...Light adriatic met. Got rid of the spokes and put on some alloys instead. Otherwise bone stock.
Thinking about letting it go soon No
Back to top Go down
El Tee Juan

El Tee Juan

PostSubject: Mine says   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Lynol wrote:
we need some more input from tow pack RMW owners... specifically I'd like to know what the dash plaque says on '94 RMW's with V92 and G80.

94 RMW: V92, G80, 6TM, 7TM, 8RP, 9RP, G67, GW9, JA2, JM4, KC4, KD1, V08 with Sungate windshield and Dynaride dash plaque.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: 4l60e gears with tow pack ?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Just wondering if the tow pack has the 2.92 gears and the same mileage rating as the 2.56, are the 4l60e internal ratios different to achieve the same final drive ratio?
Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 3:15 pm

Reviving this old thread to help answer the question of whether a Roadmaster could be ordered with the Trailering Package but without the G80 Positraction option. At least in Canada in 1996, it could not -- the TTP required the limited slip differential as per Buick's own archives:

The “Trailer Pkg. 2265-kg (5000-lb.) capacity includes 2.93 axle ratio, heat-reflective windshield, heavy-duty cooling and engine oil cooling, automatic level control, ride and handling suspension, P235/70R15 all-season tires (whitewalls), limited slip differential”

https://media.buick.com/content/dam/Media/documents/CA/Archives/EN/Vehicles/buick/1996Roadmaster.html
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 8:30 pm

"are the 4l60e internal ratios different to achieve the same final drive ratio?"

No.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2023 8:43 pm

All of the transmission ratios in the B-body cars were the same. The final drive ratios are determined by the gears in the rear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?   What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What exactly does the "Towing package" on the LT1s consist of?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2