GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tow package question

Go down 
+3
Deadmanonduty
jayoldschool
Mattb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mattb

Tow package question Empty
PostSubject: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:10 am

I'm looking at a 96 roadmaster wagon that has a mechanical fan. The tailgate glass won't open so I can't open the door and see the SPID sticker. Does the mechanical fan mean it's definitely a tow package vehicle and it definitely has a posi rear with 2.93 gears? It has a hitch too. I hope it does because if so I'm pretty sure I'll buy it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 1:13 am

I should add, do any of you have tips on opening the tailgate window? The key has been broken off in the lock cylinder and the dash button doesn't work. I just want to see the sticker. The guy assured me it has a posi rear but I want to make sure.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 am

Mechanical fan means 2.93s, but doesn't mean posi. It was optional. Do a little brake stand, you'll know really quickly if it has posi.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 8:48 am

Ha! I don't know if this guy will be too psyched if I do a brake stand during a test drive.
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 9:37 am

Do it in the dirt, grass, etc

Tow pack gets mechanical fan, so yes 2.93's. Posi was optional and most had it.

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:22 am

Mattb wrote:
Ha! I don't know if this guy will be too psyched if I do a brake stand during a test drive.
Tell him one little brake stand,what could possibly go wrong? Wink
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:23 am

I'm looking at it now. There isn't a tow hitch. It has an electric fan. Is there any other way to tell if it's posi?
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 pm

See "burnout"comment...Without seeing SPID I would say no. Sellers quite often dont know what they have.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:31 pm

The tag on the diff say only fill with limited slip gear oil so that confirms that it's posi. The mech fan confirms 2.93 gears. You guys agree?

It drives great! Good pick up. It needs a MAF sensor according to the inspection he just had done. It needs a muffler too. Drivers side has a hole. It's very clean underneath. Just barely some surface rust in a few spots. This guy is the second owner and has had it for 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Another thing. The side says limited. What's that indicate?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Mattb wrote:

It's very un-rare,..
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:57 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Mattb wrote:

It's very un-rare,..

Would you agree that despite not being able to see the sticker this one has posi and 293 gears?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 1:07 pm

well tow pak, 2:93's.yes,.

tag on the diff, posi,.. yes,.

does it still work,.....?  dunno,.

i,ve never been hung up on posi rear ends like some folks,.burning rubber is wasting time,.

if you ar stuck in the mud,. or snow,. most times a quick dab on the brake pedal with the left fot, makes the two spin together,.

you 'might' need posi once a year?

my black wagon had 3:73's and open diff,. with 2800 edge, it used to leave sideways,..

buy the car,. no posi is not s deal breaker,. it accounts for .002% of your driving experieince,..

nick
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 1:15 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
well tow pak, 2:93's.yes,.

tag on the diff, posi,.. yes,.

does it still work,.....?  dunno,.

i,ve never been hung up on posi rear ends like some folks,.burning rubber is wasting time,.

if you ar stuck in the mud,. or snow,. most times a quick dab on the brake pedal with the left fot, makes the two spin together,.

my black wagon had 3:73's and open diff,. with 2800 edge, it used to leave sideways,..

buy the car,. no posi is not s deal breaker,. it accounts for .002% of your driving experieince,..

nick

True. I'm going to buy it. Picking it up Tuesday.

Tow package question Image10
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Mattb wrote:

True. I'm going to buy it. Picking it up Tuesday.

Tow package question Image10

good,. don't get hung up on internet wagon peer pressure,. enjoy the car,.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Did Nick just say,"dont get hung up on internet wagon peer pressure"? Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Andebe wrote:
Did Nick just say,"dont get hung up on internet wagon peer pressure"? Question Question Question

Yes. And it literally made me laugh out loud.

I'm pretty psyched on this car! There's a few issues but none are major. The best part is the almost total lack of rust. I'm going to look up the vin and see what that returns. Hopefully the guy isn't lying. Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 8:51 pm

If the key is broken off in the tailgate, maybe you can open it with a screw driver.
Back to top Go down
Mattb

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Apparently it's just a short piece of the key that broke off inside not the whole thing. Just the last half inch or so of the key.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 11:39 pm

You may be able to fish the broken part out with a thin piece of music wire. Sharpen the end, and make a small bend in it to depress the pins. Hold the wire with the bend pointing in the direction of the teeth of the key. Use the wire like a spoon to get between the teeth and the key, then try to scoop it out.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 5:13 pm

Mattb wrote:

It has the Limited seat option. The seat base adjusts separately from the back, headrest tilts, etc.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 5:19 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

Also very nice for recovering boats from a natural beach. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 24' pontoon boat off a sand beach and drove it up a winding route on the lawn around some tight corners. Walked it up without spinning a wheel, even where I had to jog back and forth to get the rig around a tree. Impressed the heck out of the boat's owner.

Since it's my beach and lawn, I can assure you it was also important to the property owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tow package question   Tow package question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tow package question
Page 1 of 1