GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air condiditioning fixed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lornejay1

lornejay1

Air condiditioning fixed Empty
PostSubject: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 pm

After sitting for a year and a half I wasn't shocked that my AC was weak.

Last week I had it charged and it lasted the week.

I figured I had a leak so Today It went to the expert here.

It turned out to be the ORFACE TUBE,yes thats the proper term,and I kept it to show you guys.

Air condiditioning fixed Wagonwheels065

It is located in a tube near the battery I am told and comnnects to the condensor.

The new ones he showed me are crystal clear in comparison.

10,bucks,for part,$150 for the system to be recharged and labor.

Not really an electrical problem,but the best place I thougt to post this info.

Sorry if it is common knowledge already.

Lorne.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 pm

In you line of work AC is a must ain't it?

ORFACE TUBE! Razz
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Orifice tube Wink

I changed mine on my 94 wagon when I replaced the cut line. It looked brand new. Now, you need to think about why your orifice tube was plugged up. That means something else is bad. Like compressor black death. Sorry...

Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks Jay,I can't read his writing on the Bill,and I asked him twice to make sure I was hearing what I thought I did.

Funny he never mentioned the source of the problem. I will follow it uop tomorrow for sure.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't want to spook you, and I probably did. He may have just replaced it as part of good practice. I did mine simply because I had the hoses off. Just ask him, "hey, why did you replace the orifice tube? Do they go bad?" If he says it was plugged, you need to ask him what plugged it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:20 pm

It acts as a filter and also meters the refrigerant into the evaporator. Normally if it's clogged it's a sign that the compressor is failing "shelling out" bits of metal. Considering your short summer season it could last you a long time still though as long as the compressor is not loud or knocking.

Just a tip, if you have to open the system up again, replace the accumulator (silver coffee can) as well. It's cheap insurance.

Hope it lasts you a good while!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:41 pm

So which is which?

I have a brand new evaporator( accumulator),replaced it in 07, drove the car for 2 years.5000 km,and I also bought a new Compressor,if that is what the part that is belt driven is called (not cheap I remember) also in 07.

The condensor is a smaller rad correct Exclamation Question

I was thinking that the condensor was causing the problem,maybe I am confusing the parts and their correct names.

I am all ears.

Oh and yes Jay,thats exactly why he changed it,the system was still charged,just plugged

Last edited by lornejay1 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 pm

The condensor is the radiator-looking part that mounts in front of you main engine radiator right behind the grill. Compressor mounts to the engine and is belt-driven. Accumulator looks like the silver coffee can near the passenger side firewall, and the evaporator is the box-like small unit that actually gets cold and mounts inside the firewall/dash.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

81X11 wrote:
The condensor is the radiator-looking part that mounts in front of you main engine radiator right behind the grill. Compressor mounts to the engine and is belt-driven. Accumulator looks like the silver coffee can near the passenger side firewall, and the evaporator is the box-like small unit that actually gets cold and mounts inside the firewall/dash.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,I have never changed any parts inside the firewall.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

The main part that normally fails from wear and tear is the compressor. When you do the compressor, you flush the hoses, evaporator and condensor well, replace the O-rings on the hoses and fittings, install a new accumulator and orifice tube, evacuate and re-charge the system. Done.

GM went to what's called "barrier" a/c hoses in the early 80's, and those last forever.

Condensors normally only need replacement if a rock or something knocks a hole in them. Evaporators also in many cases last the life of the car, but considering they are constantly wet they can rot out over time.

When I worked in the shop we'd get cars from the 60's and 70's in that had not had working a/c for years, and we'd flush and re-used the original condensors and evaporators, no problem.

I MISS working at the shop...but family needed healthcare and an a/c shop makes tons of money in the summer and then we starved all winter. Was a lot of fun though...

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

You miss everything Mike!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
You miss everything Mike!

Not high school....or New Jersey....... Exclamation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 pm

What was wrong with high school,just remembered mine so nevermind!And not missing Jersey
is perfectly normal!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 am

My wagon's orifice tube was more clogged than that and I replaced it.... four years ago. And everything still works fine. The clogging was some sort of bits of goo; nothing metallic.

But yes - if you depressurize the system, replace the orifice tube just for good measure. It takes 3 minutes and it's like $4.95.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air condiditioning fixed    Air condiditioning fixed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air condiditioning fixed
Page 1 of 1