GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...

Go down 
+3
Sprocket
81X11
Cadet57
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Empty
PostSubject: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Last week I was going over the car to see if I needed any work before I left. Well, the serp belt was a bit cracked and I thought it would be a good idea to change it. New belt installed, we leave for WF. On the way home. Literally 2 miles from my house we hear a loud bang and smelt burning rubber. I got off the road and to a gas station where I find shreds of rubber everywhere and a nasty stench under the hood. Here's what we saw:

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... IMG_20110731_172246

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... IMG_20110731_172304

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... IMG_20110731_152056

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... IMG_20110731_151847

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... IMG_20110731_172211

Last edited by Cadet57 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:41 pm

Did the a/c compressor lock up? Looks like a/c sling on the hoses and accumulator.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm

81X11 wrote:
Did the a/c compressor lock up? Looks like a/c sling on the hoses and accumulator.

Nope, AC still works. What all that fuzzy stuff is, is shredded underhood insulation.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

Jeez! Zero fun. Glad you made it home.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 6:24 pm

I had that happen on my work truck. Got in it in the morning and turned it on, bang bang bang.....wtf open the hood and half the belt was shredded.

I needed to be 75 miles away in one hour...I got my diag cutters and trimmed the biatch, drove 20 miles (on the way) to the company motor pool yard and got them to give me a loaner.....as I didn't have even 5 minutes to sit around (plus they had to order the belt).
I had just gotten the truck back from a PM and they put a new PS pump on.

My guess is all the pulleys were not aligned right. Might wanna check that out.

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Damn that sucks! I hope you kept the old one in the spare tire well like I do.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 am

95BRMW wrote:

I did actually! We changed it at the gas station and drove home Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 am

Great to see you and the wagon arrived in one piece...........
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
95BRMW wrote:

We? How many peeps does it take to install a serpentine belt? I don't think Nick is going to be impressed when he gets here.

Glad you made it back though.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Bewber wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
95BRMW wrote:

We? How many peeps does it take to install a serpentine belt? I don't think Nick is going to be impressed.

Glad you made it back though.

My buddy held the tensioner open while I ran the belt. It was hot, I didn't feel like breaking a sweat doing both. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I was all kidding and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Bewber wrote:
I was all kidding and stuff.

haha I know dude.
Back to top Go down
occupant

occupant

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:30 pm

That is one thing I appreciate about serpentine setups, if there's enough room to get your hands/tools in there, they can be changed pretty quick with only one person. I did enough WOT runs during downtime in my CVPI taxi that I got used to changing the belt about monthly. If it failed en route on a fare, I'd tell the passenger to remember where the meter was, and I'd pull over, move the shredded belt out of the way, lean a breaker bar on the tensioner, slip the new one on, let off the breaker bar, then get back in and go. Got it down to about a 90 second roadside job including getting the belt/breaker out of the trunk, piece of cake. Cab garage would credit me $30, I found an Auto Value store selling them for $17, so I got paid $520 an hour for my labor, LMAO!
Back to top Go down
http://mybeaterworld.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...   Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing My Serpantine Belt Before WF Was a Good Idea...
Page 1 of 1