GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.

Go down 
+7
lakeffect
silverfox103
BigBlackBeaSSt
MalibuSSwagon
jayoldschool
Andebe
phantom 309
11 posters
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Empty
PostSubject: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 am

Last year early July, i bought the Ridlers for the orange car. They were shipped to Jarrods and installed.
I drove the car to charlotte to the nationals,.it was driven around locally a few times,. less than 3000 miles on the wheels.
The wheels are deteriorating so quickly,.they are flaking and pitting from the inside out.
The car sat on gravel till winter then was moved next to the shed and as you've seen by the pics the car was encapsulated in snow and ice.
They sat outside on the car all winter but were never exposed to any sort of winter driving,.

I contacted the company i bought the wheels from, SD wheel corp(steves discount wheel) and got the run around saying it was a problem between me and TWG (the wheel group)
A quick phone call to TWG customer service and was told i had to go thru my retailer,.(hmmm)
so after some prodding,.(pictures were sent already of course) they have agreed to let ME pay for the freight both ways for some exchange wheels,.  

I am thinking i will get a different wheel,.or get the same style wheel with the polished lip and the black (or orange) spokes.

I am very downhearted by this experience,..These wheels look SO good on the wagon,.

compounding the issue is the fact i live in canada but picked the car and wheels up in NY,.so i have to freight them from the USA , then deal with getting them back to canada,. which of course will cost more money,.
This all really sucks,..

I'll post up pics later.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 am

After hearing your first comments about this I gave my own rims a good look over. I have the painted argent colored and some black ones. Only issue I have is with the chrome dust caps...pitted beyond saving. No Im glad they worked with you.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

You can't leave chrome wheels outside in the winter, even if they are not driven on salted roads. I learned this the hard way.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Yea, doesn't matter if you don't drive it on the salty roads, the moisture is going to wreck them. Should have coated them with Fluid Film to keep the moisture off them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Really sorry to hear this Nick,Ive been looking at the chrome ridlers on ebay but will now reconsider.The chrome on my german made BBS wheels are coming off too but those are 25 year old wheels.Nobody here in Va wants to rechrome anymore.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:50 pm

That's a shame. I am always afraid of inexpensive chrome wheels. even the best quality chrome can have issues.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Nick

There are quite a few guys here, in the US, that you could ship to, if that helps. I'm one of them, but there are probably other guys closer.

Tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 4:29 pm

I would suspect it's just than just moisture. More like surface material preparation, and bad adherence of the plating. But I suspect it can partially be attributed sooner or later to the rate of expansion of different materials. It tends to separate substrate surfaces from each other. Then the moisture can get in. With freeze/thaw conditions to split them further, it's a mini version of our beloved potholes.

Most importantly, it hopefully gets resolved in a positive manner for Nick.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 9:29 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
You can't leave chrome wheels outside in the winter, even if they are not driven on salted roads.  I learned this the hard way.  

I,ve owned a few set of chrome wheels over the years,..never had winter problems,. in fact i used a set of crome reverse rims for winter years ago,.a quick polish and they looked good again,.

dianes fancy ford has chrome rims,. yes they are peeling on the inside,. but the car is a 99 and has 160000 miles on it,.they've done well,.

These ridler aluminum rims have not had a copper/nickel coat before the chrome and thats why they are separating,.

pretty piss poor if a wheel can't get wet,. and get ice on it,, with out it separating,.

as was mentioned chrome wheels 5 -20 yrs old,. fair enough,. but 8 months??

these wheels were $850, including wheel nuts and shipping,.

is that a cheap wheel?
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 9:44 pm

I've never liked the idea of chrome on aluminum wheels.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:11 pm

So to conclude the chrome rim saga,.
tires were dismounted, wheels boxed up and shipped,. wife had to drive to our drop off spot in lewiston NY,.(4.5 hr round trip)
Freight was $116+ for round trip,. and in their infinite wisdom,. the canadian persecutors decided i had to pay taxes on the shipping?? AAARGH!! another $42,.now i have to pay for remount and balance,.GRRRrrrrr

I tried to get a set of painted centres with polished lip,. but no go, even tho they are a cheaper wheel and i was willing to swap straight across,.

as soon as the cold weather comes,. i'll put some crappy tires and rims on and put the ridlers in the warm basement in one of the spare bedrooms,.

car just doesn't have the appeal with stock rims,..
Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. 51BA47E1-D66B-4469-A354-795E28292D1D-481-00000044414CE456_zps45312233
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 2:12 am

that s*cks....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 10:04 am

Man that stinks! Those wheels do look fantastic on your car...hate that they didn't hold up.

I've had factory chrome wheels on both my '02 Firebird Convertible and Misty's '01 Grand Prix, and the chrome was fine after years and years of use....but both were Texas cars from new, so possibly sitting with water on snow left on them would have a different result....or maybe factory wheels are just better quality?

You do have me thinking, because I've always wanted to try chrome Impala SS wheels on the Roadmaster. May reconsider that idea and just keep polishing the bare metal....

Hope it all works out Nick!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 pm

wheels back on ,. car looks waay better,..

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. 2B7E2077-086E-4487-B6C8-291893F3DD93-239-0000011A2DAB5515_zps0a91aea7

now swap interiors and fix the a/c
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 pm

still love it

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. 004_zpsc5389e7a

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. 015_zps3e05f583
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Orange you glad theyre back? Sorry...somebody had to say it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Love those wheels! Hope they hold up this time!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 7:42 pm

The wheels have been on less than 60 days and they are starting to pit again,.

So whats the excuse this time? weather too hot,.
too dry?

AAAArgh,. i am sick of these rims,.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 7:57 pm

What a shame. Sorry you are going through this Nick. Maybe you should have Jethot coat them.... Ok to soon!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.   Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chrome ridlers,. not a good idea.
Page 1 of 1