GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Empty
PostSubject: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi All:

Brought my wagon into my mechanic to have a couple things done, and 3 days later, still no car! The brake pedal had long travel to stop and he identified that it should have a new master cylinder. Bled the brakes several times and the pedal went down to the floor. Switched out with another master cylinder and after spending almost seven hours trying every bleeding pattern, the pedal still goes down to the floor. All brake lines have been checked, brakes like new front and back. Proportioning valve working correctly.

Any ideas here? There are no bleeders on the Bosch ABS controller. Not sure if this is the Bosch 2 or 3 system (1994). He sees no possible way for air to be getting in the system.

HELP!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 am

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? If not, there is air in it. I just went through the same thing. I can not seem to get the bench bleed thing right. There were some other issues, but that was one. You have to have the MC on the bench and level. Then transfer it to the car. You could also jack the rear of the car up until the MC is level (real pita). My mechanic bled mine.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am

Fred thanks. I think he has done this already but will ask first thing in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 am

So my mechanic got tired of re leering the brakes to no avail. He took it out to test drive it, slammed on the brakes so the ABS would kick in (and it did) and went back to the shop and bleed them again.

Bingo! That is what it needed as now all the air is out and the brake pedal is up and firm once again.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 am

I had the same trouble with a car I did and no matter how I bled the line I always had soft pedal. I ended up taking it to a shop that had a pressure bleeder and it worked the first time. He said it was because of the ABS system. So now when I take apart a system I do it one at a time and clamp lines to calipers before removing anything then do the same to the other side. The back isn't as crucial.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes   Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Help with low brake pedal/air possibly in brakes
Page 1 of 1