GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ChevyChugg

ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Empty
PostSubject: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 9:40 am

Just got some new ST's and they seem very high up front. The front's measure 26.9 from the ground to the center of the arch. They were installed on Thursday and I've put about 95 miles on them. Any ideas?

It's a 91 Caprice Sedan with a stock 305, running 225/70/15's. Here it is with the new springs:
ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Download
Thanks for all of your help!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:04 am

Were the springs indexed properly? The end of the bottom of the spring goes between the two little holes in the spring pocket on the lower control arm.
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:56 pm

they are indeed not, any easy way to move them while installed, or is a return to the shop in order?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 am

Back to the shop... they should do it free since they did it wrong in the first place. They probably won't, though...

Might help to bring a copy of the page from the FSM. Or, that might make them mad. You never know with mechanics.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Jay,

Great info. I had no idea that springs had to be indexed. I will have to check my Impala fronts on my wagon and the lowering springs on my Impala. I did both sets.

Tim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Glad to help. Check out where the logo is. You can check the install without taking anything apart by looking at the bottom of the control arm Look for the spring to cover one hole, and leave the other open. There will likely be dirt blocking the holes, so poke with a small screwdriver.

ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Chevy_caprice_1992_control_arm_front_lower_left_oem_10232819
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 6:37 pm

The spring covers both holes, my mechanic is saying that makes it seated further into the pocket, making the car lower....any thoughts on this??
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Just to clarify, properly indexed is the lowest the right height can be, correct? There is no position that will make it lower? (As my mechanic is saying)
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:53 pm

The indexing is to get both the same, and so they do not bend laterally when compressed. The arm rotates and puts pressure on the outsides of the coils more than on the inside. It says in the manual that the spring must cover at least part of one hole up to part of the second hole. The second hole is also for drainage so the spring does not rust. If you cover both holes, water will pool in the arm and rust will eventually damage both the arm, and spring. The difference between the second hole covered and not covered is about 1/64th of an inch of ride heigth, and you can not see or feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(   ST's sitting to high in front!!!   >:( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ST's sitting to high in front!!! >:(
Page 1 of 1