GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Empty
PostSubject: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 pm

When I switched to new tires and had the car jacked, I found the front discs rotating very tight. So I tried to push back the pads, it was hardly possible, just that could be accepted to run the car without overheating the brake. So I supposed that the rubber brake tubes will be swelled and constricting the flow, I even had this issue on an old VW from the 60s. Once the brake pedal is pressed, the pressure is high enough to operate the brake, but when released, the lips of the seal ring won´t apply the force to push back the piston against the reduced flow through the constricted tube. Happily, I´ve got had a set of steel brake lines and that was the opportunity to fit them right now, so I removed the old ones. After removing, I immediately was able to push the pistons back without any effort and fixed the new lines.

I was courious about the inside condition of the rubber lines, so I´ve cut them in about 6 oder 7 pieces to confirm the flow restriction - but I found none....the cross sections were open, no restricton present. I didn´t bleed the brake yet, no time avaliable, will do it the next days. But my question: What could restrict the flow of the brake lines if not the rubber lines? What would the pistons causing no to get them pushed back? Any ideas? Both sides the same issue !
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 12:47 pm

The inner liner separates/collapses and creates a check valve of sorts. You won't find it by cutting it apart , but you can find it in a test lab where you can flow both directions.
Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2021 12:49 pm

What condition are your calipers in might be time to replace them . You can get rebuilt ones for a reasonable cost .
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 5:32 am

It is possible the pistons are hanging on a small rust or dirt spot on the cylinders.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2021 9:02 am

If both front brakes seem equally tight (partially applied), crack open the bleeder, and see if it immediately spins easier. If it does, then indeed it’s a brake system issue. If the rotor still feels tight, clean the slides & make sure your wheel bearings aren’t too tight. If opening bleeder screw does ‘fully release’ the caliper….check to see if there’s an issue with the master cylinder, or the pushrod. The odds of both front brake hoses failing internally, the same way…..at the same time are million to one

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2021 12:53 pm

I have fixed the problem in the meantime. It were the brake linings, I replaced them by steelflex linings, now the wheels are rotating freely and the brake feels better to control. Calipers were no issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release   Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front disc rotating tight / front brake pistons doesn´t release
Page 1 of 1