GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cruise control fuse blowing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
motorcitykid

Cruise control fuse blowing Empty
PostSubject: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Bought my 94 Caprice wagon and the cruise didn't work. Found a blown fuse and replaced it. Turned on the ignition and it blew immediately. Where would you start looking for a short? At the cruise control switch or the column? What areas could be a problem? I can only think that it has to be a short. Automotive wiring is my least favorite thing to work on. Thanks for any input or ideas.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

There are actually 3 fuses to the cruise control. One goes to the brake release switch (hot at all times 20A), one goes to the TCC cruise release switch, the module, and the multifunction lever (hot in run 15A), third goes to the cruise indicator light except 93-96 Caprice (hot in run 15A).

You have to start somewhere so try unplugging the connector on the under hood unit. You can unplug the multifunction lever and check for shorts to the module. on the gray, dk blue, and dk green wires. With the connector off and the fuse in, you should have battery voltage on the 2nd dk blue wire (there may be an error in the wiring diagram), and brown wire.

If you remove the connector from the module, and the short is no longer present, I would replace the module.
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Fred,

I did what you told me to do, disconnect the cruise module under the hood and it still blew the interior 10A fuse for the cruise control. I disconnected the cruise at the multi function lever and it blew it again. My guess is the multi function lever is shot? Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 pm

If you disconnected the multifunction lever, and it blew the fuse, it is not the multifunction lever. You should check the wiring. You may have a wire worn through the insulation and touching metal. You should check the wire from the fuse first, because you disconnected all the parts, and it still blew the fuse. The wire should be dark blue. Check your TCC/cruse release switch too.
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Where is the TCC/cruise release switch located? By the brake pedal? Wires are the same colors as the cruise wires at the MF lever?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:46 pm

The switch is on the column above the brake pedal. There may be two switches there, and I think it is the top one, but I am not sure on a 94.
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 2:02 am

So far everything looks good. I need to figure out how to test the switch
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 am

You have to remove it to get at it. It just pulls out. The contacts for the curise control should be closed when it is not activated. There are probably 2 sets of contacts, and you have to look at the wires in the connector to determine which one is which. To reinstall it push it in until it stops.
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm

So far I have come up with no solution. On a whim, I put in a 25A fuse in the block and tested it to see if it would blow when the the key is on. It didn't blow. But the cruise control still didn't work. How much is a TCC/cruise control release switch? I might just replace it. If anybody knows the procedure used to test the TCC/cruise control switch, please chime in. I am not sure about testing it correctly. My third brake light was not working and when I checked the bulbs, I noticed that the two prongs that make contact at the light were covered in electrical tape. Cleaned the contact points at the light and the rear window and it still did not work. I don't want to throw parts at this problem in hopes of fixing it. Anybody else have this cruise control problem?

Last edited by motorcitykid on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motorcitykid

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Is the cruise control release switch part of the brake light switch? If so, then it should be a pretty easy fix if that is the case, providing I can get under the dash to see what I am doing (might not be tooo easy).
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 pm

The cruise release switch is above the brake switch. It is attached in the same manner. Somewhere you have a weak short, or a partially burned part, or you may be using another circuit as a ground, and it may pull more than the 10 amps. Does anything else (something not related) come on when you put the 25 amp fuse in the socket? Check your ground for the CC. I do not know where it is on an LT1 car, but it is on the back of the passenger's side cylinder head on an LO5.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cruise control fuse blowing   Cruise control fuse blowing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruise control fuse blowing
Page 1 of 1