GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate Window Won't Unlock

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am

Hi:
I've read about Buick Roadmaster wagon tailgate windows that won't lock
and have seen mention of those that won't unlock -
bit have not yet found fixes/solutions for that tailgate windows that won't unlock.
PLEASE HELP. Thanks, Ron

PS: I do NOT have a key for that rear door but use the remote. Ron

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Collector's Edition
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 pm

First off, why don't you have a gate key? Second did you try the dash button?

There are a couple of threads dealing with getting the gate window open. The easiest way with a 96 is to unbolt the hinges at the car side of the glass. You have to remove the trim at the back of the headliner, to gain access to the nuts. You need a 10 mm long socket to undo them. Be careful when opening the gate, so you do not break the glass. Get a friend to help you. You can then remove the gate interior at the bottom, and the 2 screws on the sides behind the door jams. You can reach in, and trip the latch. Some people have pulled the bottom of the gate interior to gain access without removing the hinges or opening the gate, but you may stress the plastic with the screws behind the door jams still in place. You may have to replace the solenoid or repair some aspect of it. The bracket is known to break, the solenoid can have a ground fault, the remote module can fail, and the solenoid is known to stick. Any one can be the problem.

I have a complete set of keyed alike locks that will fit a 96 RMW for $100 shipped. Includes glove box, front doors, tailgate, and storage compartment.

I accept paypal jfkiehl@ij.net. Select "send money" then use the personal...other function, and if you fund it from your bank account or paypal balance, neither of us pays a fee. Send your address seperately, because paypal does not include it with the personal function.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I reread your post, and am not sure what your issue is. If the gate will not unlock and your remote is triggering the solenoid, it can be the solenoid sticking, or the bracket may be loose or broken. The linkage could be out of adjustment as well. There are some wire clips that hold the actuating wires in slots in the mechanism that break, and can cause malfunctions as well. You have to open the gate panel, and take a look inside. Pics of everything would help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 9:30 am

First - Thanks to everybody for their answers. It seems that the solenoid is sticking. With a little fiddling, it is now only an intermittent problem. I'll take the parts apart soon and try to really peg the problem.

>>why don't you have a gate key? Second did you try the dash button?

I never got a door lock key with the BRMW. Also I don't see a dash button.
There is a lock and unlock button on the arm rest... but when things are sticking it works no different than the key remote. Is there another button that I don't know about??

Thanks again, Ron
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

The dash button is on the lower panel to the left of the steering wheel. There are two switches, one for the wiper and the other for the glass release.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 pm

My solenoid was loose, and one of the 2 screws fell out, so it would not work. Take it apart BEFORE it gets worse! Have a young boy around, as it takes smaller hands to get there! Smile
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Deadmanonduty wrote:
Have a young boy around, as it takes smaller hands to get there! Smile

Pardon??
Back to top Go down
Deadmanonduty

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 8:59 pm

The access hole in the tailgate is small, and my big fat hands didn't do well working in that cramped space. A kid could have turned the screw in in only a few minutes instead of me fighting with it for an hour!
(I'm not a catholic Priest/Young boy lover) lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Window Won't Unlock   Tailgate Window Won't Unlock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Window Won't Unlock
Page 1 of 1