GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

wanna shoot my wagon

Go down 
+5
lornejay1
Sprocket
Al H.
81X11
a1awind
9 posters
AuthorMessage
a1awind

a1awind

wanna shoot my wagon Empty
PostSubject: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:18 am

my 92 caprice was owned by mark (crazyboutwagons) and when mark had it it had racing stripes on it.
the guy who owned it between mark and i (he had it for about 5 months) removed the stripes and caprice ss decals. so what was a clean car now has paint burns and the tinted area at the top of the windshield has caprice ss burned into it.
i wish he would have left the stripes and letters on it. as i prefer stripes to burned paint.

so anyway i am gonna have to paint the car. mike (scoob8000) suggests we crovo it. but i am not the satin black kinda guy. satin any other color yes. and i love the bewber flames. but the car is 2 tone and i dont want to get too far away from that.
i dont know how you get that smooth finish too. every time i spray paint something it comes out splotchy.

remember i am on a spousal controlled budget which means i have nearly a $0 budget.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 pm

a1awind wrote:
my 92 caprice was owned by mark (crazyboutwagons) and when mark had it it had racing stripes on it.
the guy who owned it between mark and i (he had it for about 5 months) removed the stripes and caprice ss decals. so what was a clean car now has paint burns and the tinted area at the top of the windshield has caprice ss burned into it.
i wish he would have left the stripes and letters on it. as i prefer stripes to burned paint.

so anyway i am gonna have to paint the car. mike (scoob8000) suggests we crovo it. but i am not the satin black kinda guy. satin any other color yes. and i love the bewber flames. but the car is 2 tone and i dont want to get too far away from that.
i dont know how you get that smooth finish too. every time i spray paint something it comes out splotchy.

remember i am on a spousal controlled budget which means i have nearly a $0 budget.

There's always Maaco... $500 paint job----1/4 inch thick. ; )

We have a super cheap paint place here in Austin, Econo-Paint. That 4dr Citation I had that I added all the X-11 parts to got a $500 paint job there. I removed most all of the trim, because for $500 they don't mask stuff worth a flip. It was far from perfect when I got it back, but it looked pretty good unless you got right up on it and searched for flaws. I did the bodywork myself beforehand and wet-sanded the car before dropping it off. You get what you pay for.

Starting Point!
wanna shoot my wagon BeforePic05

Added fiberglass hood, spoiler, and X-11 wheels:
wanna shoot my wagon ComingAlong005

Bodywork:
wanna shoot my wagon 4drCitationBodywork003

wanna shoot my wagon 4drCitationBodywork002

And my homemade 4dr X-11 pretty much done:
wanna shoot my wagon 4drX-11HAHA002

wanna shoot my wagon 4drX-11HAHA001

Back to top Go down
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 5:16 pm

You can't buy decent paint and clear for 500 dollars.
The last one I did everything but the paint and it was 2400 bucks for the labor and materials to shoot it it, they pulled the doors and hood to do the jambs too, the paint was almost a thousand of it and that was cheap compared to a lot of the stuff out now.
Turned out really good, surprised myself, it was too nice for a driver like it was supposed to be to begin with so I sold it before something bad happened.
I got twice as much as I thought it was worth and didn't lose any money (for once) so I did pretty good.

wanna shoot my wagon Beartown2010-1

You could do a full wrap like Nascar cars?
Make it into a Cheetosmobile and I think Chester Cheetah does the wrap for nothing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Well it cost me about 50 bucks to paint Grimace and I think 25 of that was tape......

I didn't clear it, and 9 months later it's showing wear, but that's probably 2 yrs worth of PA UV......

When I do it again I will matte clear it to help it last a bit longer.

Things I did to lay it down non-splotchy.

1. Shoot it indoors if possible. I couldn't and when the breeze kicked up I stopped.
2. Choose a color somewhere close the original one. I went from Maroon to a reddish purple so that when it flakes off or gets scratched, it's not a glaring spot seen from 30ft away.

3. Buy the nice ($Cool sprayer that clips onto the aerosol can. It does make a big difference.
4. Hold the can per the directions so you get a good spray pattern. when you are too close you lay a heavy center line down making it 'stripey'.
5. Go light and do two coats to get uniform coverage.
6. If you get sags or runs, don't freak. It's satin paint so you can sand it down with 400 and respray it, no harm no foul.
7. take your time prepping and taping, it makes a difference.

they sell all sorts of satin finish at home depot these days. pink even Smile
I would probably leave the bottom color alone unless you hate it.
play with photoshop and see what you can figure out.

Believe it or not, I get positive comments about my paint all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 5:41 pm

when I do it again I will lay two complete coats down. I went with 1.5 if you will.
I was rushed to finish it for Daytona.....I started painting it four days before the show and finished it in the parking lot the night before, lol.

pics in the Daytona WF thread.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Can't help ya Ian,Sorry.

If you decide to shoot the wife, thats different.

Kidding of course,Happy Holiday.

Lorne.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:49 pm

You want to shoot your wagon because of burned paint and a stained windshield? On top of that you HAVE to paint it? It's all relative I guess.

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Deal with the issues, enjoy you good car!!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 am

Have someone who knows what they are doing cut and buff it first. You'd be surprised what a good detailer can do. Wink
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 7:05 pm

For real, have a pro detailer put a wheel to it. If it cleans up, you're in good shape, and it it doesn't, you're subsequent paint job will turn out that much better.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wanna shoot my wagon   wanna shoot my wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wanna shoot my wagon
Page 1 of 1