GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

hubcap section?

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Dutch Pete
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 2:10 am

Couldn't find the hub cap section, so i take the liberty to post this here.
My son found 4 old hubcaps in his garage, i believe them to be '78 Caprice hubcaps. Put them on the wagon and it looks ok. Sadly i already lost one from the rear left wheel. Bought an other one and lost that too. I think the rear wheel is not straight anymore....

hubcap section? 18112011027

hubcap section? Dscn2656v

Back to top Go down

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 2:48 am

LOVE those hubcaps. They look really really good. Smile

Bummer about your wheel though. That's probably the only hubcap for these cars I actually like.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 am

You may be able to bend the spring barbs that hold the hubcap to the wheel a little. That would make it more secure.

I do not think the wheel is bent, but may flex a little more than the others, or have a harder surface where the barbs sit. A harder surface would give the barbs less "traction".

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 am

Caps sure go well with your wagons color.Too bad about losing the 4th as they are unigue.
Jim
Back to top Go down

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 8:49 am

If you put a bit of silicon on each of the mounting tabs when you push the hubcap onto the wheel, apparently they stay on better.
Back to top Go down

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 am

Coming from you Ray thats golden considering your hubcap expierience!
Jim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I do not think the wheel is bent,

and why not??? you have a crystal ball?
harder surface??? " gotta rip the tire off and go get my rim rockwell tested,. i think it,s too hard for the hub cap",. eh?? maybe it,s a completely different rim,. mebbe the tire is egg shaped causing imbalance vibrating the hubcap off,. thats the thing about internet diagnosis, anything is plausible if it's written down,. I,ve read more whackyway out diagnosis here on this forum, than any where else,.
truth is that hub cap was laid in box next to a speaker and it got magnetised,. and the rim too,. but the problem is opposite polarity is forcing the hub cap to pop off,.he needs to put the rim on the other way so they stick together,..

Nick Rolling Eyes

off to buy 2 ebay electric superchargers,..

Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 am

the hub caps are one of my favourite ones Chevy made for the Caprice. Experiance tells me that if I were you I would go with the dabs of silicone on the clips, after you also bend out each clip a bit. The 91-96 rims seem to flex more than the older rims these hub caps were made to fit.

These caps came in two colours, silver like yours or gold like mine

hubcap section? DSC00420
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I had those caps on my 87 Caprice. GM used them for a long time. They fall off more than any other cap I have used. In the life of the car, I went through at least ten of them. Of course, I used to drive a little crazier than I do now.

I think I still have a few in the basement in the hubcap pile...
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 pm

jayoldschool wrote:

I think I still have a few in the basement in the hubcap pile...

Are they properly magnetized??
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Those 70's Chevys were some of the better looking caps. I like those and the smooth chrome ones the Caprice's had in the late 80's.

Oh and had caps on my car when I bought it too....didn't look good with what I had though... Very Happy
hubcap section? NewBraunfelsPics109
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 2:59 pm

[quote="buickestate"]

These caps came in two colours, silver like yours or gold like mine
/quote]
Didn't know that...

Thnx for the tips guys. (and i do go and check the straightness of the wheel, just to be sure)
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hubcap section? Empty
PostSubject: Re: hubcap section?   hubcap section? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hubcap section?
Page 1 of 1