GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Locking Hubcap Removal Help...

Go down 
+2
scoob8000
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Empty
PostSubject: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 17:02

My 93 came with locking wire hubcaps with a #21 (?) lug in the center. The owner I bought it from lost it years ago. I've been able to get 3 of the bolts off using pliers. But one will not come off at all. Anyone know any tricks to get it off? Or have one they arent using? Someone on ebay wants $29 for a key. I cant justify spending $29 for something I'll use once.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
scoob8000

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 18:31

You mean the green or beige plastic "nuts"?

Heat up a flat head screwdriver, melt a slit in it. Let the screw driver cool, and unscrew it..
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 18:41

scoob8000 wrote:
You mean the green or beige plastic "nuts"?

Heat up a flat head screwdriver, melt a slit in it. Let the screw driver cool, and unscrew it..

No. Its a small appx 1in bolt in the center of the rim which screws into that hubcap dome on the rim

You can kinda see the nut in the center.
Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Cv13050

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 19:22

Try drilling a hole in it and use an easyout. Another option is use a left hand drill. 3rd possibility, weld a nut onto the end and turn out with a wrench. Craftsman makes a nut removing set that will grab anything if you can get it in the hole.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 19:26

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Try drilling a hole in it and use an easyout. Another option is use a left hand drill. 3rd possibility, weld a nut onto the end and turn out with a wrench. Craftsman makes a nut removing set that will grab anything if you can get it in the hole.

I think i'll try drilling it. But tomorrow I'm going to go to where I got my tires and see if they can pull it. I'll be replacing these hubcaps with N97's so even if they destroy the bolt I wont car, I have the other 3 wheels locked in with hex nuts.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 20:50

Go to the dealer. You can get the correct wrench there, for less than $29...
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 20:53

jayoldschool wrote:
Go to the dealer. You can get the correct wrench there, for less than $29...

Jayson

I just had to buy the green type, it was $32.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 20:57

check thru your metric sockets,. hammer one on it, hammering also loosens the 'grip' by lowering the height of the hupcap slightly as its compressed (read,. "whack it hard!") ,.
try pointy vice grips on it after beating it some,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010 - 21:55

I got it off. Took me a 7/16 socket, a hammer, a can of WD40 and about 2 dozen good whacks and it finally broke loose.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul 2010 - 1:21

Cadet57 wrote:
I got it off. Took me a 7/16 socket, a hammer, a can of WD40 and about 2 dozen good whacks and it finally broke loose.

your welcome,.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locking Hubcap Removal Help...   Locking Hubcap Removal Help... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locking Hubcap Removal Help...
Page 1 of 1