GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

steering wheel peel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Roadagon

steering wheel peel Empty
PostSubject: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:12 pm

The steering wheel on my 96 Roadmaster wag. has begun to peel. It started life as a tan wheel
and now its a mixture of tan(original) and black( base color of the wheel) I have seen several
Roadys with this condition so I believe its a common problem. What can be done to repair them?
THANK YOU ,ed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 9:08 pm

You can thoroughly clean your wheel and rough it up a little and then repaint it using SEM paint.
Thats just the basics but its not hard to do and I am sure the guys that have done it a LOT'more
than I have will chime in here.Its not difficult but you do have to get every bit of the oil from
your hands off and prep the surface.Then spray a lot of very lite coats with dry time between each coat.You dont want to spray it on thick or you will ruin it quick.SEM paint is simply the
best IMHO and wouldnt use anything else on such a high contact surface.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 11:46 pm

There are a couple of places that will recover your wheel with original color leather. Cost is about $250.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:47 am

Flasheroo wrote:
You can thoroughly clean your wheel and rough it up a little and then repaint it using SEM paint.
Thats just the basics but its not hard to do and I am sure the guys that have done it a LOT'more
than I have will chime in here.Its not difficult but you do have to get every bit of the oil from
your hands off and prep the surface.Then spray a lot of very lite coats with dry time between each coat.You dont want to spray it on thick or you will ruin it quick.SEM paint is simply the
best IMHO and wouldnt use anything else on such a high contact surface.
Jim

Thank you for the information, First off where do you buy SEM paint? Is the paint color coded to the interior color,
or do I just get something that looks close? Also what type of chemical/chemicals do I use to prep the steering wheel
to remove all the dirt ,grease and oil? Thanks again,ed

Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
There are a couple of places that will recover your wheel with original color leather. Cost is about $250.

Fred, Thanks for your response,I had hoped there would be a shop or two that could do
the recovering, if possible I think I'll try my luck at using the SEM paint, if that dosent
suite me,then I will go the recover route. tks again, ed
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:55 am

Roadagon wrote:

Thank you for the information, First off where do you buy SEM paint? Is the paint color coded to the interior color,
or do I just get something that looks close? Also what type of chemical/chemicals do I use to prep the steering wheel
to remove all the dirt ,grease and oil? Thanks again,ed

I think the color is called Saddle but someone will chime in. Your local automotive paint supply store should have it. It is an interior paint. They have a prep that you use along with the paint. I did not use the prep and mine flaked off. I have some prep now and I am going to try another wheel.

http://sem.ws/?home=1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 am

Morning Ed,I buy all my SEM products from www.TCPGlobal.com.Their prices are very good and
they dont mind answering guestions from numskulls like me no matter how dum.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Some NAPA paint stores are custom mixing cans of spray paint. I paid about $18 per can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Fred that paint is meant for metal not leather unless your NAPA does things differently.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:32 pm

I got the interior paint. It is not the paint for metal.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Brake cleaner is a wonderful cleaner for steering wheels. Clean, wipe, sand lightly, clean, wipe, then spray light mist coats of colour. Worked for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Just regular cheap brake clean does the trick!I would have thought it would be harmful to leather.
Good to know Jay.
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Fred thats a great price,hows it holding up?
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Fred - did you do this for your DMR interior wagon? What paint number did you give them? When I gave NAPA the SEM number they couldn't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Brake cleaner is dry cleaning fluid. Works on stains on your shirts and pants, too.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

The number for DMR is 4565. The color is the one that SEM gave me about a year ago. It is just a tiny bit lighter than the OEM color, but close enough that, with all the fading from sunlight, makes it about the same. I have had good success with it. I did my dash pad, and the front corners of my front door panels. It looks really nice. The type of paint is Universal Color Coat

I was told that you can use the interior paint on metal, if you use a good primer first.

On plastic I used a Scotchbrite pad, and surface prep for regular paint. Stuck really good.

Make sure they have the interior paint. The first person I spoke with at NAPA could not figure out how to mix the correct color. When the manager showed up, it was no problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah, I remember pulling the 4565 number a year or so ago and giving it to you. I'll have to double check with my local NAPA, it's huge. They might be able to help us out.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:27 pm

If you don't have the paint code, the paint supplier can custom-blend SEM color coat to match your sample.

Just had this done for the console on my Bonneville...it is perfect.

In my experience, SEM is the best interior paint, but others also have had excellent results with the Dupli-Color products.

No matter what you choose, proper prep is the most important part of the whole process.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Damn I gotta find a NAPA thats closer to me.
Jim
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 pm

I bought mine at a body shop supply store.

Flasheroo, you might try this place:

Pro Finishes Plus
300 Commerce Cir # J, Yorktown, VA 23693-4321
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:33 pm

You can check on the SEM site for retailers in your area. It would save you a lot of time. I printed out the page from the screen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Only retailer in my area wants $45 for a pint.

To hell with that. I'm far too poor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Joe,thats across the street from the bodyshop that fixed my dads car.
Jim
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 11:20 pm

vinylpro.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel peel    steering wheel peel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steering wheel peel
Page 1 of 1