GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI

Go down 
+3
phantom 309
Fred Kiehl
a1awind
7 posters
AuthorMessage
a1awind

a1awind

ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Empty
PostSubject: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm

ok i guess its not a "locker" im looking for just a cheap posi unit.
if you have a factory auburn laying around or another one you want to part with let me know.
i cant afford the $300 for a new detroit or the 500 for a new eaton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Sorry Ian but I am peglegging it on both of my wagons.Wish I had a dozen posi units.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

None in the yards here.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 pm

buying a cheap posi will do nothing for you if it,s already wore out,.unless you're prepared to strip it down, and roughen up the case and cones and then add a shim to the cones , you might as well keep it a 1 tire fryer,.
If you want a cheaper posi , look for the tick tock posi that comes in the trucks,. and i'll tell you how to modify it so it works really good without any of that silly clunk bang they are famous for,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 am

If you can't afford the price of a cheap one, how are you going to afford the installation? The cheapest guy I've ever used was still $200 in labor.

Also, if you're already got your hands up your own rear end, you'd be a fool not to swap in new gears while you're already in there.

Unless you're going to move where it snows alot and often - OAR you're going to get hard core about what your EXACT performance numbers are - LITFA and enjoy it as is. With a stock ring and pinion, alls you'll have is a posi slug instead of a non-posi slug, which isn't an upgrade that's even worth buying the new diff cover gasket for.

Also - keep your driver as a driver and keep your woody wagon as the car that gets the upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 am

http://www.oem-surplus.com/gmwp/chevrolet.htm
do a ctrl-f and search for 3.08. Double check the part number, but it's a whole diff, with factory posi new for 200 bucks. Dunno if you can just use the posi with your gears or not....

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 am

Sprocket wrote:
do a ctrl-f and search for 3.08. Double check the part number, but it's a whole diff, with factory posi new for 200 bucks. Dunno if you can just use the posi with your gears or not....

this is a steal,. will fit all gears,. the different carrier is the 2:56 carrier,.

new 3:08 posi

nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey Nick did you see those Bilstein shocks for 45 each.Fit the fronts of your dually I think!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 3:04 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

this is a steal,. will fit all gears,. the different carrier is the 2:56 carrier,.

new 3:08 posi

nick

I don't know anything about rear ends. For $250 I can get a 3.08 with posi that will just drop in? That sounds as attractive as hell. I have no posi, and I've wanted to go to 3.08.

Last edited by Nick Danger on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 3:24 pm

ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  RearDiffSmall

A picture from the parts manual.

If someone can tell me if that's what I want, I'll buy it right now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Nick D .the original Nick is your best shot on rearends.
Jim
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 4:45 am

bewb,
i am buying mickey's(mickwagon) 3:42 gears off of him because he is going to 4:56 and a T56. the gears are pretty new and i am putting them in TiKi not the caprice...the caprice already has a posi that works..and as i found out yesterday morning ..i need it in the snow (very steep hill going into work). TiKi is a sunny day clean roads car only. but i have mike (scoob8000) in my ear telling me that if im gonna build a rear end ...wait till i have a posi.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 8:25 am

Sounds like a great plan then. You're gonna absolutely love the difference. Get ahold of Shane at Carolina Performance Transmissions and see if he still has any deals on posi's too.

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 pm

^^^ Yeah, just don't buy anything from him because he doesn't like wagons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI    ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok..let me rephrase...does anyone have a POSI
Page 1 of 1