GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A curious dent has popped up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
92cappy

92cappy

A curious dent has popped up Empty
PostSubject: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:53 pm

no pun intended Razz

Anyways, it is located underneath the Caprice emblem on the driver's side door. It is a small round dent as if something has hit it from the inside of the door. Any thoughts on what caused it?

A curious dent has popped up IMG_20120115_143453

A curious dent has popped up IMG_20120115_143500

A curious dent has popped up IMG_20120115_143530
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:15 pm

My guess is that whatever whacked the door in that area (scuff mark on molding and dented behind the molding?) pushed the outer door skin in far enough to highlight the hinge mount/reinforcement that is behind the skin in that area.
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:17 pm

I was figuring it was something like that, but the dent in that area barely goes in. I guess it could have popped in and popped back out, but it's still odd.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:57 pm

your woman was wearing spiked heels??

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm

You could have run over a short board or stick. I had a stick flip up and hit my cladding on the Starship, and it left a mark. fortunately the cladding stopped the stick before it hit the metal.

You can see where the metal is depressed around the protruding point, and below the point as well. The angle is indicative of something kicked up by the wheel.

That is a tough dent to remove. The body guy will have to weld rods on the outside, and pull the low parts out, while putting a dollie on the high point. I do not think a paintless dent removal guy can get it out, but it would be worth a try. The paintless dent removal guy will charge you about $100 per panel with up to 4 dents.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Auto pimple........... Your car is an adolescence after all.....
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
That is a tough dent to remove. The body guy will have to weld rods on the outside, and pull the low parts out, while putting a dollie on the high point. I do not think a paintless dent removal guy can get it out, but it would be worth a try. The paintless dent removal guy will charge you about $100 per panel with up to 4 dents.

I'm not concerned with getting it fixed, as the other side of the car is MUCH, MUCH worse. I'm just curious as to what may have caused it. It seems like the door hinge may have caused it, though im not quite sure how.

BigblackBeaSSt wrote:
Your car is an adolescence after all.....

Hey, my car isn't a teenager anymore!!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 pm

92cappy wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

I'm not concerned with getting it fixed, as the other side of the car is MUCH, MUCH worse. I'm just curious as to what may have caused it. It seems like the door hinge may have caused it, though im not quite sure how.

BigblackBeaSSt wrote:
Your car is an adolescence after all.....

Hey, my car isn't a teenager anymore!!
There is obviously something on the inside of the door, that did not "give" when it was struck by a nefarious object, which was soft enough to conform to the shape left in the door. A piece of wood is the most likely suspect. It is hard enough to dent the metal, but soft enough to allow the hard point to make an impression on it at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A curious dent has popped up   A curious dent has popped up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A curious dent has popped up
Page 1 of 1