GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend

Go down 
+14
94Woody
bcreasy
Krzdimond
toomanytoyz
Al H.
brokecello
TylerW
s1l1sc
Bewber
phantom 309
jayoldschool
Lynol
JoeT
81X11
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Empty
PostSubject: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi all. Been meaning to post about all this fun stuff but between work and looking for parts I've just not had the time.

Some of this is off the wagon topic, but it's related, so here we go. Long-winded as usual.

I'd posted previously that we had to put our 11-year-old cocker spaniel Emily down over the holidays. The lump in her leg turned out to be cancer. She was a good old girl and it was hard on my family...but it didn't take long for the kids to start asking for a new dog.

My wife wanted a bigger dog. I grew up with smaller mutts and Emily was out 3rd cocker since moving to Texas. Growing up, my wife had Rottweilers....well I kinda shut that idea down. I know they are good dogs, but I've seen some crazy ones, and my youngest son is only 3. It just worried me too much.

My Dad, who is a country boy and grew up in the delta of eastern Arkansas, had raised Labs as a kid. My grandfather bred them and they shipped them all over the country. Dad suggested that's what we look for. He said other than shedding and being hyper, they are great family dogs.

So last Thursday Misty sends me a Craigslist ad from San Antonio. The ad was from a family that was moving from a home to an apartment, and had to give up their 4-year-old lab. I called the guy, and he's a realtor. He bought a building in downtown San Antonio with four apartments in it, and he and his family are going to live in one while he fixes the other three up in his spare time after his normal work. He'll have no time for the dog. He has two daughters, 3 and 6, and he was terribly concerned that the dog would go to a good home with kids and a big yard. That's us!

The dog's name is Cache (Cash), named because he loves to go Geo-caching. He's technically a yellow lab, but is actually a rare color called "Fox Red". He'd bought the dog as a puppy from a breeder that specialized in fox red labs, had taken it to obedience school, he said it was perfectly house trained, followed commands well, not a barker or a chewer, and was gentle and loving to his kids. It all sounded wonderful...so what's the catch? Well he said Cache is a BIG dog, around 100lbs. Bigger than most labs. He said that once they moved the dog would be locked up most of the day, and it just was not fair.

I relayed all this to my wife and kids. My oldest son was almost crying he got so excited. He promised to to brush the dog, wash it, walk it, basically anything in order to get it. We met the guy in San Marcos, about half way between Austin and San Antonio, and got the dog Friday night. The guy teared up when he said goodbye, and he told me he'd "Googled" me and even looked at ariel shots of my house before letting us have Cache. He'd had five other callers but I was first and he wanted Cache to be with my boys. Really nice. But he was right, the dog is HUGE. It's head is enormous, it's paws are huge, he comes up to my 10-year-olds chest. It's crap piles in the yard are staggering....thankfully it IS housetrained.

I layed a blanket down in the back of the Roady and the dog jumped right in. He could not sit up fully though, his head hit the headliner. Man he's BIG. Thankfully he layed down as soon as we got on the highway and did fine on the hour ride home. He's a great dog and just as the previous owner said, loves my kids, is easy to walk...but he does shed.

New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Cache

Now here's where the wagon topic ties in. Driving home Friday night Cache was on that blanket. When he got home I pulled the blanket out and shook it. There was hardly any hair in the car....good deal.

My wife Misty asked if she could use the Roady to take the kids and the dog to the 3-1/2 mile hiking trail they love over near Lake Austin on Saturday morning. I said SURE (would give me a chance to sleep in), as long as she would use a blanket and pick up the car afterwords. Well she called her best friend Janna, who also has a big white mutt, and my brother as well, and invited them all hiking too.

So Saturday morning I woke up to an empty house.....heaven. I lazed around, watched Netflix, it was in the 70's and gorgeous outside so I had coffee on the front porch. Just a NICE morning. Misty comes home around 2:30. She and the kids are filthy. She found out the new dog LOVES water and they had to go into a creek and pull Cache out. She heads for the shower. The dog is dry but dirty so I send Eddie, my oldest, out to the back yard with a can of shampoo and tell him not to come back until the dog is clean. He's a good boy and does what I tell him.

So I'm in the house...and after seeing my family am scared to go look at my Roadmaster. I head out the garage, and it's....well.....horrible. They car is filthy, muddy on the wheels and on the lower sides. I open the door to the smell of wet dog. There are Wendy's bags and cups in the front seat cupholders and floors, along with mud on the mats, in the middle row floor are all their "Camelback" backpack water holders...and more mud. Yucko!

I walk around to the tailgate...and this is when I go off....for the first time of the day, but not the last.... The blanket they were supposed to use is crumpled in the corner up by the 2nd row seatback, and my pretty red carpet is COVERED with yellow, red, and white dog hair, and mud too. I mean it's COVERED with hair, as is the carpert on the side panels and tailgate, and even the headliner has hair on it.

I storm inside, and my wife has gotten out of the shower and gotten in BED! Thanks for the help! I ask about the hair, and she said they had both Cache and Janna's white mutt back there, and that they were "playing". I contain the urge to scream, and instead blame myself. I tell Misty I'm going to the car wash and I'll be back later.

Here's where it gets better. I start the Roady and put the windows down to air it out, back out of the driveway and think I feel a thud....hmmm. I drive down my street and the car feels ok, but coming to the light I press the brake and I feel and hear a loud POP from the front. Say what?? I inch forward and press the brake again and feel the same thing. Is my wheel falling off?? I get out....in the intersection mind you, and shake both front wheels. They seem tight.

I'm fuming now, get back into the car and pull onto the main road. I get going about 50....everything seems ok, but then I apply the brakes and in addition to the POP-THUD from the front, the car pulls hard to the right! What the heck!

At this point I was at the car wash. I cleaned the outside and then opened all the doors, pull the mats, and spend an hour with the vaccum. Thank goodness when you buy a wash the vaccums are free there. I know now that Lab dog hair sticks to GM cargo carpet like crazy glue, and this was the first time I've ever wished my car was tan inside instead of red. HUGE MESS.

After cleaning the Roady I drive home slowly and ask my wife what the hell she hit. She's still in bed. She stares at me blankly, and says she hit nothing, and then GETS MAD AT ME FOR THE WAY I'M SPEAKING TO HER.

I have Eddie come outside and ask him to watch the front wheel as I roll forward and press on the brake. He does, and as I press on the brake his eyes get huge, he starts pointing and jumping up and down. Says it looks like the wheel is going to come off....

So now it's 5pm. The wagon is too wide to fit on my tow dolley, and I'm not about to pay for a tow. I call my buddy Troung and tell him I want to use his lift, and I carefully and slowly drive to his shop. The car rolls straight, steering wheel is straight, and it's only when I touch the brakes that all hell breaks loose.

On getting the car on the lift....it's bad. First off, it's muddy under there...she went off road, had to. The passenger side tie-rod is the main issue. It's trashed, and I can move the wheel back and forth freely. It's amazing I didn't have an issue getting it to the shop. Troung shows up, and we start wiggling stuff, and decide between this issue and 105K miles, it's time to rebuild the front end. So on order are:

-Inner and outer tie rods
-center link
-idler arm
-steering damper

I'm also pulling off the 1yr old front Monroe Severe Service Shocks and replacing them with some softer units. I'm tired of hearing the change rattle in the ash tray over bumps, want some Buick ride back. If anyone wants these I'll sell them for $50, plus shipping. I have the reciept and they still have a lifetime warranty, and being Texas are just dusty (I'll wipe them off before shipping of course).

Troung told me not ot order the tire rod adjusters, said most of those are Chinese crap (Troung is Vietnamese...cracks me up how he hates Chinese stuff) now and since mine have no rust on them and are "solid GM parts" we'll re-use them. We checked my upper and lower ball joints and they seem fine, so they are staying, but we are going to re-pack the wheel bearings while it's in the air.

Now it gets better. There is more mud in the rear, and it's apparent the car bottomed out on something. Since I had that tire wear issue a while back I'd been meaning to look at the trailing arm bushings. Turns out they are fine, but one of my Gabriel coil-over load shocks (still also under warranty) is leaking. Since I'm going to be back there now too, I finally ordered my variable-rate Moog heavy-load coil strings, to replace the weak stock springs that I'd left when I removed the air shocks. Hopefully she'll be happier loaded and when pulling the boat now. Long overdue update.

So that's it for the Roady. I ordered the parts from Rock Auto, and until they come in, the wagon is parked and I'm driving the '79 Electra Limited. It's sucking me dry for gas...man that 403 is a guzzler. Misty has STILL not admitted to what they heck they did with my car, but she said "I'll NEVER drive it again!". Ok then! Fine with me!

On a happier note, I got to work on the Oldsmobile parts on Sunday. Pulled out the pressure washer, and Eddie helped me blast all the loose parts in the driveway. Man it's great having sons!
New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Ed1
New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Ed2
New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Ed3

All the stuff you see in the pics above is now painted high-heat semi-gloss black....well except the valve covers. I'm putting chrome covers on, just cleaning up those blue ones to bolt on the engine for when I paint it.....which will happen this weekend!

As soon as the Roady is done I'm going to drive my knocking 307 Cutlass down to Troung's shop and we're yanking that boat achor 307 there, and then will be dropping in the new 350. With some luck the '88 Cutlass will be back on the road next month. Woo-Hoo!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Eh... don't sweat it. You will learn to accept the dog hair as a fact of lab life.

Kids are safe, wife is safe, dog is safe, and they all seemed to enjoy it. Go out to dinner or something and relax, man. Life is good in Texas, trust me. (Although to be fair, I get scared when my girlfriend drives my car too... lol)

Looks like an awesome dog. How much does he weigh?
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Mike,
I know how you feel about the mud and the hair and the car problems, but try to keep it all in perspective...
No one got hurt (could've been trouble if a tie rod end had let go),
Cache looks and sounds like a great addition to the family,
You found some issues that you are now able to address without any catastrophic failures and
You're blessed with a nice family, willing helper(s) and some very nice toys.

After all, these are just cars.

Be thankful everything held together for the family outing and have fun with the Cutlass project!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Eh... don't sweat it. You will learn to accept the dog hair as a fact of lab life.

Kids are safe, wife is safe, dog is safe, and they all seemed to enjoy it. Go out to dinner or something and relax, man. Life is good in Texas, trust me. (Although to be fair, I get scared when my girlfriend drives my car too... lol)

Looks like an awesome dog. How much does he weigh?

Right at 100lbs. I was roughhousing with him the other night, he loves to play, and he jumped up on me and knocked me over. He's heavier than my oldest son. It's like having a friendly bear walking around the house. Weird.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 pm

JoeT wrote:
Mike,
I know how you feel about the mud and the hair and the car problems, but try to keep it all in perspective...
No one got hurt (could've been trouble if a tie rod end had let go),
Cache looks and sounds like a great addition to the family,
You found some issues that you are now able to address without any catastrophic failures and
You're blessed with a nice family, willing helper(s) and some very nice toys.

After all, these are just cars.

Be thankful everything held together for the family outing and have fun with the Cutlass project!

Oh I'm thankful. I'd all calmed down, but got fired up again typing that post. Sorry for the rant, and yes I'm glad the Roady is going to be in better shape, and that Troung kicked me into gear on getting the Cutlass engine swap moving along.

Fun stuff.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Man that dog sounds like a handful. It's nice that the PO took him to school, that helps a lot. At this point in my life I have little time or patience for owning my own dog, but if I ever have a family some day [faaaaarrr in the future] a lab will be the dog I'll want. They're hard to beat for a great all around dog, as long as they're trained well. I know how you feel about the wagon being a mess. I don't allow any animals in any of my cars, auto carpet is like a pet hair magnet no matter how hard you try to prevent it. When I got my Caprice, it was obvious the previous owners operated both a daycare and a kennel. That car was filled with yellow dog hair, and all sorts of disgusting things kids leave in the seats and crevasses of cars. Even in the third row seat, crud everywhere. I took it right to a pro, had the whole car pro cleaned. Still find dog hair in it though every so often. It's like getting sand in a car; you'll never get rid of it. Now as for the car itself, sounds like Misty screwed it up good. I thought she had a Suburban or something? My rule of thumb with my cars is: never let a woman drive them... so whats the MPG on the Electra? ('79 is my fav year of that car BTW)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Glad to hear you got another dog so soon.Be glad he's not pure white like my 2 dogs.They rarely
need bathing due to the fact they shed all their dirty hair.When you brush them they even give
off a white powder to aid in the cleaning.Dont sweat the dirty car since you love to clean them
up often.Our wagons are between 16 and 21 years old so suff wears out particularly suspension
parts.Cache looks like a great companion for your boys and you.Give him a little time and he
will find a way to make you forget that dirty car.
Still think that unusual rear tire wear is a control arm bushing.Is your friends lift a drive on or
a frame lift?Always like the drive on because it keeps the weight on the tires and suspension.
Glad you got the dog!
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Lynol wrote:
Man that dog sounds like a handful. It's nice that the PO took him to school, that helps a lot. At this point in my life I have little time or patience for owning my own dog, but if I ever have a family some day [faaaaarrr in the future] a lab will be the dog I'll want. They're hard to beat for a great all around dog, as long as they're trained well. I know how you feel about the wagon being a mess. I don't allow any animals in any of my cars, auto carpet is like a pet hair magnet no matter how hard you try to prevent it. When I got my Caprice, it was obvious the previous owners operated both a daycare and a kennel. That car was filled with yellow dog hair, and all sorts of disgusting things kids leave in the seats and crevasses of cars. Even in the third row seat, crud everywhere. I took it right to a pro, had the whole car pro cleaned. Still find dog hair in it though every so often. It's like getting sand in a car; you'll never get rid of it. Now as for the car itself, sounds like Misty screwed it up good. I thought she had a Suburban or something? My rule of thumb with my cars is: never let a woman drive them... so whats the MPG on the Electra? ('79 is my fav year of that car BTW)

Yep he's a handful, but he's a really good dog and well worth the effort. As for having a family someday, remember if you wait until you can afford a family....you'll never have one. Very Happy

As for stuff kids and dogs deposit in cars....man am I ever aware of that. After two kids, you never know what you'll find under a seat or in a pocket. Scary stuff.

We do still have the '03 Suburban in the family, but I gave it to my Mom to drive last year, so they could sell the other car and get out of a car payment. Misty's work moved so she has a farther commute, and feeding the Suburban at 14mpg was hurting, and at the time the Burb was sitting beside the house.

It's funny how family works. When Misty started to really complain about the gas bill on the Suburban, her parents bought that new Ford Fusion, and knowing how much we loved their old '01 Grand Prix, offered it to us instead of trading it in. That became Misty's commuter and the Sub was parked for trips or when family came to town.

Well my Mom works at a hospital about a mile from their house, and Dad wanted out of a car payment, so the Burb went to Mom last year. The funny thing was when I got my Catera years back I gave my Dad my '97 S-10 to drive, so he'd not have a payment as well. So now my parents do not own any cars themselves. Dad pays the insurance and gives me the money for the registration on the Sub and S-10, and I have a Sub or pickup when needed. Works out for everyone!

I have a feeling with this new big dog we'll be seeing how it likes riding in the bed of an S-10 soon. I sure don't want a cleanup like I had on Saturday afternoon again!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Sounds a bit bigger than my dog, Moose. He's right at 90 pounds.

New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend 383109_3045340339136_1431987960_3310611_2120130200_n

I see the resemblance...

Last edited by Stingroo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Glad to hear you got another dog so soon.Be glad he's not pure white like my 2 dogs.They rarely
need bathing due to the fact they shed all their dirty hair.When you brush them they even give
off a white powder to aid in the cleaning.Dont sweat the dirty car since you love to clean them
up often.Our wagons are between 16 and 21 years old so suff wears out particularly suspension
parts.Cache looks like a great companion for your boys and you.Give him a little time and he
will find a way to make you forget that dirty car.
Still think that unusual rear tire wear is a control arm bushing.Is your friends lift a drive on or
a frame lift?Always like the drive on because it keeps the weight on the tires and suspension.
Glad you got the dog!
Jim

It's not a drive-on lift, it lets the tires hang. I sure could not find anything loose in the rear, other than that bad shock. Will mess with it some more. Just ordered parts yesterday so will be a fewdays before everything is in.

As for shedding, my buddy that has a lab also told me to go to a pet store and buy a "Furminator" brush. Well...I went to Petsmart and those things are $70! For a dog brush! I ended up getting something similar at Wal-Mart for $20. Seems to work fine. I'm glad my house has light-colored wood floors...the hair does not show. Have only had to sweep once so far. Also he was never allowed on any furniture, which is awesome, he does not even try to get on the couch. Well trained...but he does sleep at the foot of my oldest son's bed. I'll let that go. The kids adore him and so does my wife. He's a good.....gigantic...dog. Smile

-Mike
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Watch/read Marley and Me. Stop before the end.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Sounds a bit bigger than my dog, Moose. He's right at 90 pounds.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383109_3045340339136_1431987960_3310611_2120130200_n.jpg/img]

I see the resemblance...

Yep dogs are great, he's sharp looking. What is he?

I like the chain collar! When we got Cache he had on a pink collar with hearts on it. Poor dog. The owner said his daughters picked it out. He now has a red one and looks much more....manly. Ha!

Last edited by 81X11 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Watch/read Marley and Me. Stop before the end.

Seen it. Was actually concerned before we got Cache because I HAD seen it. Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Better check to see if its legal to put him back there.Its illegal here and in most states on the east coast.Put a shell on it first.
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Moose is Boxer/Lab mix.

The collar came from PetSmart. The chain is because we tie them out back on leads (no fenced in yard.

Then again, moose is so good he doesn't even need his... it's the OTHER dogs that do
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Better check to see if its legal to put him back there.Its illegal here and in most states on the east coast.Put a shell on it first.
Jim

Really?? You see them all the time here. The first cocker I have when I moved to Texas and got my 1st apartment LOVED to ride in the back of my '93 S-10.

We'll see how he does out at the ranch in a few weeks. Can't wait to take him out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeah, it's illegal here in FL.

Hooray for wagons! I don't have that problem.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Yeah, it's illegal here in FL.

Hooray for wagons! I don't have that problem.

As long as he's on a blanket I don't mind him riding in the back at all...but not with other dogs, and will ANCHOR the blanket before he gets in. Ha!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:14 pm

As for laws, they just this past year made it illegal for rear seat passengers not to wear seatbelts. Before it was only folks up front that had to wear them...and you would not believe the outrage over that law when it came out. Funny. I always wear my belts of course, it's just odd what pisses people off.

The one that gets most people that move here is there is no helmet law for motorcycles in Texas. You see folks all the time riding without them, and motorcycles are HUGELY popular here.

I also always wear a helmet when I ride...but don't need the police to make me do that. Not to get political, but I really do believe that with most new laws our freedoms are taken away a little more and a little more.

Mini-rant over.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Pro tip: forgo the blanket. Go to walmart, get yourself a cheapie $20 area rug, cut it to fit the cargo area. It won't move around like a blanket will, and you can still pull it out, hose it off, and dry it over the fence when you're done.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Either stop using the roady as the family car,.
Or,. shrink wrap the kids and dog before they get in the wagon,.
and how did you check the ball joints??

you are a big guy,. your family looks big,.you tow boats,. your family likes to go hiking,. you have a massive dog,.you like dirt bikes,..you,ve disconnect the airiride suspension, yet have retained the soft riding springs that are not rated to carry any weight unless assisted by air bags,.so the car bottoms out with any kind of weight in it,.
is it just me OR does it sound like you need a decent 4 door 3/4 ton pickup with a cap on the back,.and turn your OCD down a few notches,.everything you got is super clean and it doesn't work well with young boys,. big dogs,. dirt biking boats,. hiking wife driving etc,. ....oops did i already say that?
I had a father that was ocd about his daily driver,. you couldn't live a normal life and ride in his car,. wonder what your poor kids think ? probably was a real bummer for them after a great day out with mom and the dogs while old fat dad did the couch potato thing,.
your idea of daily driver is definitely skewed in my opinion,.

nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Pro tip: forgo the blanket. Go to walmart, get yourself a cheapie $20 area rug, cut it to fit the cargo area. It won't move around like a blanket will, and you can still pull it out, hose it off, and dry it over the fence when you're done.

Good tip!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm

81X11 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

Good tip!

what are you gonna do about claw scratches on the plastic,..? stingaroo,s suggestions are great for stingaroo's car,.
I,ve seen stingaroo's car up close,. i,m not so sure he pays as much attention to details as you,..
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
81X11 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

Good tip!

what are you gonna do about claw scratches on the plastic,..? stingaroo,s suggestions are great for stingaroo's car,.
I,ve seen stingaroo's car up close,. i,m not so sure he pays as much attention to details as you,..

I don't think the dog is going to be riding in my car much. As a matter of fact after I tore into my wife I don't know if she'll be riding in my car much either....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 pm

True that, Nick. Laughing

Plastic's all beat to hell (Florida, after all) but the dirt doesn't stay, that's the important part. :p

Mike, I think you owe Misty a dinner or something pronto. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Let them ride without helmets,its great for the gene pool.Only witnessed one motorcycle accident when I was a kid.No helmet law back then and this guy was on the way home from the shipyard
like me.He was behind me and a car jumped into our lane to make a right turn.Watched him fall
over slowly and hit the pavement.Since I was the first car in front I stopped to help and will
carry that picture to my grave.He hit the right side of his head hard and was dead almost
instantly.I never rode without a helmet even in the states that had no helmet law.Sometimes
laws are made to protect us from our own ignorance.Helmet laws are one of those laws.There
is a reason hospitals call motorcycles "donorcycles".
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Doggy Tetanus Shot   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Ray I would be more worried about Moose getting caught on that rusty tailgate of yours!
Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm

It's not the tail gate, it's the D pillar, and I promise... I'm working on it!

And pfft, who are we kidding? He tries to ride in the front seat every time anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Mine usually end up up front too.Airbags are dangerous for dogs so I try to keep them in the back seat.I have dog seat belts but the nonstop screaming drives me crazy so I unhook them after
a while.Jim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Fortunately, I don't have the airbag problem. Moose enjoys it though.

So Mike, how weird is it having a dog that weighs more than your kids? Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Fortunately, I don't have the airbag problem. Moose enjoys it though.

So Mike, how weird is it having a dog that weighs more than your kids? Smile

It's weird, very weird.

My father took a look at the dog and in my back yard at my Maxum and pulled a Roy Scheider. Said "You're going to need a bigger boat". Ha!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:24 pm

You ALREADY need a bigger boat Mike!The way you load that thing up with family.If you dont get
some steady long rain ,you wont need the boat because there wont be anyplace to use it.
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
You ALREADY need a bigger boat Mike!The way you load that thing up with family.If you dont get
some steady long rain ,you wont need the boat because there wont be anyplace to use it.
Jim

Got that right! Lake is still only 34% full. We need a hurricane!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm

You know how when you go to a fast food place and the guy in his 30's with his shirt half untucked and not the manager screws up your order, and you start to get mad, but then you realize that your anger is your own fault because you shouldn't have realistically expected him to get it right in the first place - else he wouldn't be there?

Well,

Where did you expect them to all go have a good time hiking, Mike, at the mall?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Bewber wrote:
You know how when you go to a fast food place and the guy in his 30's with his shirt half untucked and not the manager screws up your order, and you start to get mad, but then you realize that your anger is your own fault because you shouldn't have realistically expected him to get it right in the first place - else he wouldn't be there?

Well,

Where did you expect them to all go have a good time hiking, Mike, at the mall?

I have no problem with them using the car....as long as it comes back home the way it left.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow ,that was deep dude!
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Wow ,that was deep dude!
Jim

My Dad always told me if you borrow someone's car you bring it back cleaner than you got it and full of gas. My father-in-law didn't teach this to my wife......
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah... My girlfriend like riding in the car, hates driving it due to the size of it. Works out well for me :-)
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Quote :
Mike, I think you owe Misty a dinner or something pronto

Other way around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm with Jason on her owing Mike dinner.Going to leave it at that!
Jim
Back to top Go down
TylerW

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Stingroo wrote:
True that, Nick. Laughing

Plastic's all beat to hell (Florida, after all) but the dirt doesn't stay, that's the important part. :p

Mike, I think you owe Misty a dinner or something pronto. Wink

No, he doesn't.

What he owes her is a firm statement that she's not going to use that car again because she didn't attempt to take care of it, which to me sounds like not much respect.

Being the wife and a woman is no excuse for mistreating someone's vehicle. It seems these days everyone wants a pass on anything that happens.

If my car had came back like that and my wife had laid in bed not even trying to help clean the thing back up, the argument would have been ON right then and there.

If you use someone's car, you return it in the condition it was loaned in. The "wife" or "husband" card does not apply.
Back to top Go down
TylerW

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

81X11 wrote:
Flasheroo wrote:
Wow ,that was deep dude!
Jim

My Dad always told me if you borrow someone's car you bring it back cleaner than you got it and full of gas. My father-in-law didn't teach this to my wife......

Well, I'm not getting into your affairs, that's your business, but your father was right and it's too bad your wife didn't have this same respect for other folks things as well.

I don't understand people that can distill life down so far that even when they see mud, hear the car scraping on something or against something, running over something, they think nothing more than, "I'm here in the driver seat, the car is moving forward, so life is good and everything is fine". I don't understand that.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Goodness! Thats a big ol dog!! I am a little OCD with the Wagons too, but my wife helps keep it in prespective! No matter what we do, they will somehow all end up in the scrapheap someday. However, we can keep them alive for as long as we enjoy them! But, she does respect my hobby and the wagons!

Last edited by brokecello on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Al H.

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Nice dog. Smile
Labs are one of the smartest dogs around.
Don't leave any credit cards laying around or he'll grab it and go online and order a truckload of dog toys and chew bones.
They can get a little too nutso about chasing and retrieving balls and the like so you have to be careful with that, it's all they'll want to do 24-7 if you let them get out of hand.

If you vacuum the dog with a pet hair brush attachment first you'll get a lot less hair in the car.
My three dogs love it, I'll turn and look at them while I'm vacuuming my subterranean man-cave-of-doom and they'll be going through their repertoire of tricks to get me to do them too. Laughing

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001U0ONB6/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=1055398&s=home-garden
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Cool Horse! Looks like you guys will have a ton of fun with him! Very Happy

And yeah Mike, time to get the burb back. Wink lol
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Do you idiots really consider YOUR wife taking YOUR kids somplace with YOUR dog in your car as a BORROW?

Like the same as borrowing a co-workers truck to move furniture?

You have GOT to be kidding me.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Bewber wrote:
Do you idiots really consider YOUR wife taking YOUR kids someplace with YOUR dog in your car as a BORROW?

Like the same as borrowing a co-workers truck to move furniture?

You have GOT to be kidding me.

And I thought I was the only one.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Thank you, John.

Good grief. lol
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm

I am with Bewber and Nick she's your wife I am sure her money helped buy and maintain it. Just be lucky that the problem didn't break when she was driving it with your kids in the car. I hope you wouldn't have went ti the hospital yelling at her bout wrecking your car. Relax man and enjoy the family, after all the car can't offer a happy ending.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Be careful what you ask for Mike. The next time she borrows your weenis, she might give it back cleaner, but still full.

wait. wut?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend   New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dog, Damaged Wagon, and Cutlass Work - What a Weekend
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next