GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Forum

Go down 
+4
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
brokecello
sstripes96
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Hey guys, Im a noob to this forum, but have been an Impala and wagon fanatic for the last 15 years. Ive got a 96 BBB and the wife hotrods a 96 Caprice wagon. The bullet for the wagon is at the machine shop getting checked out. I hate it when the oil pressure bottoms out 300 miles from home.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Welcome! You are too far from me! I am up 85 in Greenville, SC. Got any pics of your B bodies?! Smile Sorry about the oil pressure...guess that gives you a reason to do a 383 Wink

Chris

Last edited by brokecello on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling...as always)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Welcome aboard! One of the rare wagons too. Always great to see another wagon nut!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the welcome. Greenville isnt too far from here. Im on I-85 about 90 minutes south of the SC line. I don't have any pics hosted on a site.
I'm trying to keep the engine build relatively simple. Its the wife's daily driver. Line hone the crank journals, deck the block to true it up. The crank is good, so we're just going to polish it and countersink the oiling holes. Shave the heads, pocket port, and port match the intake and exhaust ports. Clear Image automotive GEN 2 Tri-Ys, ultra high flow cats, and a more aggressive cam. New springs, keepers, and locks. I'm also going to convert to dual electric fans
Having a spare LT1 sitting on a stand in the garage was real nice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:46 pm

What cam and springs do you think you will go with? I am curious...I am picking up a lower mile motor for my wagon and would like to recondition the heads/ install new springs and (if $$ is there) put in a little hotter cam.

I did the Tri-Y's before...you will like the fit and finish of them. You need to get a photobucket account and share some pics as you go along! We all love watching wagon projects Smile

Chris
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Hey Chris,
Not sure which cam and springs yet. Cams have always been PFM (Pure F*****G Magic) to me. The machine shop guy said that after he gets done with the machining, we'll sit down and discuss parts. I really trust him. Last year he built a 2300 HP twin turbo (Yes, 2300) for a full body 96 Impala SS here in Atlanta that does mid 8's in the Quarter.

Ill take lots of pics. My wife wants to build it. I get to sit back and hand tools for a change.

I have a set of Dan's GEN 1 Tri-Ys on my 96 BBB and love them.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 pm

A hearty welcome from Savannah!! Can't wait to see the pics....

Bud, the [img] link isn't valid. says that I need web access from GASSIT
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks Krzdimoand,
The img link was my feeble attempt to insert a signature pic into my signature. I think that is the formatting that the Impala SS Forum used. Its been awhile since I setup a signature.
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Lets see if this works.

Another Forum Picture_0246
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah!!! Here's more.

Another Forum Picture_0245
Another Forum Picture_0250
Another Forum Budg3
Another Forum Buggeng
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm

NIIIIIICE!! Got pics of the wagon powerplant?
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 12:29 pm

The wagon engine is basically stock except for home plate and first base delete. The new bullet is still at the machine shop.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Woah! Nice SS and Wagon affraid

Where did you find those valve covers for the SS? Man, that engine bay is so clean....
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 7:31 pm

^^^ I agree Chris, Nice cars Bud, Lorne.
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Guys,
The Impala engine shot is old. Its still that clean but has Tri-ys installed and the AIR pump and tubing has been removed. The valve covers are one of a kind Moon Eyes. One of a kind because, in order to fit with the alternator installed I had to machine 3/4 of an inch off the front face of the valve cover and then TIG weld a new plate to cover the opening. A little smoothing and polishing and they fit great.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

sstripes96 wrote:
Thanks Guys,
The Impala engine shot is old. Its still that clean but has Tri-ys installed and the AIR pump and tubing has been removed. The valve covers are one of a kind Moon Eyes. One of a kind because, in order to fit with the alternator installed I had to machine 3/4 of an inch off the front face of the valve cover and then TIG weld a new plate to cover the opening. A little smoothing and polishing and they fit great.
This is nothing against the route you took, but just a note for others who are reading - the LT1 alternator to valvecover clearance is always a problem, but there are easier but non-obvious solutions I have heard of:
1. Have a local electrical motor rebuilder disassemble and "re-clock" the alternator's rear casing 90 degrees so it's out of the way of the valvecover. The bolt holes are evenly spaced around the circumference so it'll bolt back together no problem and function identically.
2. Grind down the back of the alternator casing where it interferes with the valve cover.

I haven't tried either of these, but I know guys who have. So take it for what it's worth (FWIW).
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm

If the 140s are built like the old alternators from the 70s, you don't need to get someone to re-clock it for you. All you do is stick something small through the little holes on the back of the case to hold the brushes in place while you unbolt the case halves. I didn't do this on the first one I took apart, but it sure is easier if you do!

Of course, this may not apply to the 140...
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 pm

I had never thought about reclocking the back case. Ive rebuilt a few alternators over the years so that should be pretty simple. As far as grinding the case, that was not an option with the Mooneyes covers. They just came too far forward. I had looked into that first.
The machining, welding and polishing only cost me 2 dozen Krispy Kremes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 pm

sstripes96 wrote:

The machining, welding and polishing only cost me 2 dozen Krispy Kremes. Very Happy

Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 pm

mmmmm Krispy Kreme

welcome aboard. schweet looking rides hopefully one day some of mine will be that tight....
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 am

I case you missed it, here is the link to the new Bullet Build in my wifes wagon. Start to finish.
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/91-6-b-body-wagon-general-discussion-f1/the-bullet-build-starts-t642.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another Forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Forum   Another Forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Forum
Page 1 of 1