GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

As the mind wanders..........

Go down 
+6
brokecello
phantom 309
buickestate
stockfornow
sherlock9c1
Krzdimond
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

As the mind wanders.......... Empty
PostSubject: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 8:47 pm

While waiting for the gas to finish dropping at a station today, I started reading an article in the latest "Motor Trend". Seems that they compared the new CTS-V with the new Jaguar XFR. Cool article...... until I get to the specs on the CTS.

Saw something about a 6L90 6 speed trans mated to a 376CI supercharged engine and wondered out loud "I wonder if that trans will fit behind the LT1?" As the mind wanders.......... Icon_cheers

Anyway, I get reading........

CTS weighs 4277; RMW 4572

Wheelbase: 113.4; 115.9

rear axle: 3.23:1 RMW.... I can get that As the mind wanders.......... Icon_biggrin As the mind wanders.......... Icon_biggrin As the mind wanders.......... Icon_biggrin As the mind wanders.......... Icon_biggrin

So, I'm thinking, if I find a wrecked/insurance total CTS-V, and transfer all the running gear to a RMW shell, then mathematically, I too should get 0-60 times in the 4.3 second range and the 1320 in 12.6@114.

With the magnetic shocks and HUGE brakes, I should be able to corner with the best of them!

Now that I think of it, maybe it'll be easier to just change out body panels. Or wait for the CTS-V wagon As the mind wanders.......... Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:33 pm

There are a number of factory powertrains available today that would be just fantastic to swap into a B-body. I have to say that I have very seriously considering putting a 5.3L / 4L60E changeout into my 9C1 if the LT1 ever dies. More power, more torque, better driveability, and better gas mileage. These setups are available dirt cheap in junkyards; everyone wants the 6.0L setup. The Local U-pull yard will drop an entire 5.3/4L60E + everything combo for around $700. You can't even touch that when rebuilding an LT1.

Then if you want more power, the 6.0L motors are 345-403hp; Vette motors are even more, and the new LS3 engines are 420-430 hp AND get great gas mileage!

Funny how 15 years ago people always wanted to swap in OLDER engines for power reasons but the EPA wouldn't allow it. Now, everyone wants to swap in NEWER engines! Gotta love technology.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
There are a number of factory powertrains available today that would be just fantastic to swap into a B-body. I have to say that I have very seriously considering putting a 5.3L / 4L60E changeout into my 9C1 if the LT1 ever dies. More power, more torque, better driveability, and better gas mileage. These setups are available dirt cheap in junkyards; everyone wants the 6.0L setup. The Local U-pull yard will drop an entire 5.3/4L60E + everything combo for around $700. You can't even touch that when rebuilding an LT1.

Then if you want more power, the 6.0L motors are 345-403hp; Vette motors are even more, and the new LS3 engines are 420-430 hp AND get great gas mileage!

Funny how 15 years ago people always wanted to swap in OLDER engines for power reasons but the EPA wouldn't allow it. Now, everyone wants to swap in NEWER engines! Gotta love technology.

The 5.3L sounds like an excellent conversion. Which generation would you condsider?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 pm

hmmm interesting

so if you guys had say a blank canvas like say my 79 malibu coupe and wanted to improve fuel economy, horse power and torq what modern drive train would you seek out and retrofit?
I had been thinking of an LT1 with a T56 but after reading this thread I'm thinking I could investigate other options before putting money down....
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 pm

buickestate wrote:
hmmm interesting

so if you guys had say a blank canvas like say my 79 malibu coupe and wanted to improve fuel economy, horse power and torq what modern drive train would you seek out and retrofit?
I had been thinking of an LT1 with a T56 but after reading this thread I'm thinking I could investigate other options before putting money down....
Northstar V8 and transmission out of a wrecked SRX or newer STS. I haven't heard of ANYBODY using these powertrains for anything, so they've gotta be cheap.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 pm

SRX 4.6L V8 motor 43k for $1000 + shipping: 190334943378

STS 2005 4.6L V8 & Transmission with radiator and cooling fans $3150 + shipping: 330308664068

If you have friends at junkyards, you could probably find this setup much cheaper locally. I don't know who would need these engines and transmissions at this point.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm

northstar motors are a joke,. better check one out first before you try one,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
northstar motors are a joke,. better check one out first before you try one,.

Nick
Every motor has its faults. LT1s aren't heaven either. But the big challenge with Northstar motors used to be head gaskets, BECAUSE getting the rear head off in a FWD application was impossible without dropping the front cradle. But in a '79 Malibu, that'd be no problem.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Where is BigOldV8....he had one torn apart in his garage for 12 weeks or so. Waiting on parts and some head stud kit. (His buddy was working on it)

That Caddy was a hot mess....and only 100k or so on it.

Dunno.
Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Well most of you know what my first choice would be but seeing as you guys seem to like the smell of gas, and we are trying let the imagination wander, why not a L67, supercharged 3800 v6? In stock form they pumped out 240 HP and IIRC it shares a bunch of parts with the SB V8.

The tranny adapter may be a challenge but by fooling around with the compressor bypass to allow 1 or 2 lbs. of boost at normal speeds, this should get great mileage and by using a smaller pulley, you could easily pump this thing up to 12 or 15 lbs. of boost. Add a couple of squirts and this should get up and dance on Saturday night.

This engine was made from 96 to 05 so should be lots in junk yards with siezed blowers. The rebuild kit for the M90 is around $250.00 and if you service them right, they will last forever (the reason they all get trashed is most forget to change the oil in them, or run them with bad couplers).

Just my two bits worth.

Bill
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 am

Joel has me thinking about this 5.3l/4L60E change......

Are the LT1 and 5.3l similar in external dimensions? What else would be required for the install? (besides motor, tranny, computer, harness) How easy would this swap be for a "shade tree mechanic"?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 11:16 am

I'm not trying to be a Northstar cheerleader, I'm just saying. I don't take anything away from those who have had heartache due to head gasket problems on older Northstars. It's just that there should be very low demand for those powertrains in the RWD configuration and so they may be available cheap if you have connections.

I purposefully haven't mentioned the L67 but I personally like that motor. All of the L67 superchargers I've laid my hands on in junkyards have spun freely, just as a datapoint. My biggest gripe is that it's not a V8. Smile My only other comment is that when I went on a junkyarding trip earlier this year, it was unnerving how many of those cars were in junkyards because of engine fires. I lost count of how many times my brother said "Hey look, another Regal with all the paint burned off the hood." GM did put out a fix for it but it seemed like a kluge. It's not a fatal flaw; something to do with oil slosh or a fuel leak or something that was addressable if you know what you're doing.

The 5.3L is basically a small LS1. I think any LS1 swap kit will allow you to put in a 5.3L setup. With any powertrain swap like this, you have to figure out the following things:
1. how to mount the engine (mounts, and oil pan clearance - see the ISSF for this info)
2. Preserving driveline geometry (driveshaft length, angles, trans mounts).
3. Exhaust hookups
4. Fuel system hookups
5. Front accesories (cooling, AC, power steering, alternator)
6. Wiring and control (get Factory Service manuals - it's easier than it seems)
7. Intake hookup.
8. A good programmer to help you integrate everything.
9. A donor year, model and VIN in case you need GM dealership help with anything, and for code scanning.

It will take time; but it's not impossible.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
SRX 4.6L V8 motor 43k for $1000 + shipping: 190334943378

STS 2005 4.6L V8 & Transmission with radiator and cooling fans $3150 + shipping: 330308664068

If you have friends at junkyards, you could probably find this setup much cheaper locally. I don't know who would need these engines and transmissions at this point.

Keeping in mind that the newer STS's have a 6 speed trans too, versus the first couple years with "only" a five speed. The headgasket issues were largely corrected by the time the 05 STS came out with it's RWD configuration. Current gen Northstars are a very nice engine. Now, having said that, if you're really interested in experimenting, try out the 3.6DI V6 (yes VEE SIX) with 300+ hp and the same six speed auto. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Friend of mine has a Supercharged STS and it is a really nice ride, very quick Caddy.

A Northstar swap should be kinda unique.
Back to top Go down
Greg72

Greg72

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:00 am

The LS series chevy engines are becoming very popular for swapping into older cars .....that means the parts are also becoming more popular.

On the GM h-body forum (Momza, Vega etc) that I also frequent there are no less than 5 maybe 7 guys that have either done the swap or are doing it.

A fairly stock LS in a Monza results in easy 10 second 1/4 times! With better manners and fuel economy than an old school small block chevy. Although personally I miss all the drama of a lumpy cam and high compression LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: As the mind wanders..........   As the mind wanders.......... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

As the mind wanders..........
Page 1 of 1