GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just when I thought......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AzDon

AzDon

Just when I thought...... Empty
PostSubject: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 pm

What's the chances of finding two 91-92 Custom Cruisers in a town of 50k people? How about two with the exact same paint scheme?
I had the pleasure of speaking with another local guy who got his 92 OCC off of ebay recently from the estate of it's original owner. The car has only 3k original miles and a perfect blue leather interior. I think he said there were 32 bids, but he was determined to own the car and paid a price that tells me that these cars DO have value!
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:07 pm

So are you going to keep yours?
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Oh, shoot I remember that auction. Maybe about 6 mos ago. That thing was at CRAZY money when I looked at it. IIRC it was kept at some estate or big ranch and only used infrequently when the owner visited the place, which I guess wasn't much. That guy must be one hell of a collector to have paid that much for a car most other people wouldn't consider a real collectible. I wonder what that auction closed at. Anyone remember? I guess people are finally starting to look at these cars as collectible even though NADA and KBB say otherwise. Glad I bought my OCC when I did. Ha, I remember when I bought it in '09 thinking I was a fool to have paid $1,500 for a 95k mile 17 year old wagon. (it was over book by a two hundred) but, I'd pay double that for the same car now... lol I'm being priced out -I'd better buy another OCC before the price gets higher!
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 pm

I wanna keep it and I've set a high enough price that it will probably stay with me. My wife is not a big fan of us having five cars and wants something sold.... Truth is, her 2001 Astro van, that only gets 18mpg hwy would be a better sell than our 26mpg OCC. She's just not on the same page yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 am

Show her which car is worth more and then buy her something pretty!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 am

I was driving in Clearwater a couple of months ago, and pulled up beside a 92. The only difference was the interior color. Mine is DMR, and his was blue. The guy was really wierd, he would only look straight ahead. There are about 3 others in Largo that I know of . Largo itself is a fairly small town, but the county is like a never ending city, where the only way to tell that you are in a different town is by the sign along side of the road.

The Astro van is harder to work on than the Olds too.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am

We are on our third Astro van and generally love it, but for some reason, it only gets 13city/18hwy and no matter what I do, it idles 100rpm too low and invariably shudders when steering and braking at idle simultaneously (because of hydroboost brakes and the low idle)
And yes, hard to work on...it takes 15 minutes to get under the hood of that van!
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

If they only built less than 12k of these in two years and the distribution was constant (probably wasnt) That would be an allotment of only (less than) ten cars per state per month during that time. Granted, some states got more than others and many OCC's have moved around...... but how many of these cars no longer exist?

I also wonder if these cars were ever seen at dealerships or if they had to be ordered(?)
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 am

I've lived in NJ for 10 years and I've only ever seen two or three other OCCs besides mine, which was an NJ native. One lives about 5 miles from me, and the other was an all Gunmetal Gray airport taxi that drove down my street once! Other than that I've seen two others on the road in NY state, and 3 in CT. One 95BRMW bought in state, the other a HORRIBLY banged up one at an old folks home near where 95BRMW lives, and another being a messed up looking beater clone of mine spotted at a drive through.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 am

Don I sure hope you keep the Olds. It's very cool to have something that you don't see at every intersection, and yours looks clean.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 am

Tell the wife that your child will get a unique experience riding in the tailgunner position. It is something that will be a lifelong menory. In a van...no so much.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:41 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Tell the wife that your child will get a unique experience riding in the tailgunner position. It is something that will be a lifelong menory. In a van...no so much.

My kids are 24 and 28 and live elsewhere.... not sure that will work as a "keeping" point....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am

When you go to visit them, their kids would be the recipients of the experience.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
When I was a kid, i used to love riding in that flat, carpeted floor of ma's red Rambler; my arms resting on the top of the tailgate, waving at other drivers. The years that we took family vacations to the lake, or even riding somewhere around town, my kid liked to ride in the back of our wagon. My guess is that it gives kids something to look at, other than the back of mom & dad's heads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

My parents had 2 59 Rambler wagons when I was a kid.The first was a cherry white and red with
a matching white and red interior.The second was my moms work car and it was a solid dark gray
with a tan interior.The gray wagon was the first car that I ever moved around the drive by myself.
Remember taking the red and white from Va to Ohio every summer and riding in the back all night
on the PA turnpike.Cant remember the model name but I remember the cars well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:47 pm

My parents had 2 59 Rambler wagons when I was a kid.The first was a cherry white and red with
a matching white and red interior.The second was my moms work car and it was a solid dark gray
with a tan interior.The gray wagon was the first car that I ever moved around the drive by myself.
Remember taking the red and white from Va to Ohio every summer and riding in the back all night
on the PA turnpike.Cant remember the model name but I remember the cars well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just when I thought......   Just when I thought...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just when I thought......
Page 1 of 1