GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SEM brand interior vinyl paint

Go down 
+3
benn
silverfox103
jimbeau
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jimbeau

SEM brand interior vinyl paint Empty
PostSubject: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 am

I'm having trouble nailing down a part number for the exact SEM match for the 94-96 9C1 blue interior vinyl paint. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks. - Jim
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 am

This is what you need: SEM Color Coat #4820 Medium Adriatic Blue

This is where you buy it: http://www.vinylpro.com/

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 pm

how bout that tan/camel color in my '92?? anyone know the code?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:56 pm

You can contact SEM and they will give you the code, then you take your code to an SEM retailer for the paint. SEM has a list of retailers on their site.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm

I called SEM directly today (8663277829) at http://semproducts.com and the tech guy couldn't reference anything for me. Yup, seriously.
That's why I figured I'd get a part number that others have used, then call him back with it.
Do we agree that #4820 matches the later blue vinyl?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Jimbeau

See my first, there is your answer! See my console in my signature it is a perfect match and it used to be gray.

That is a custom mix and the #4820 wouldn't mean anything to a SEM retailer.
Tom C.

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You can contact SEM and they will give you the code, then you take your code to an SEM retailer for the paint. SEM has a list of retailers on their site.

Last edited by silverfox103 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I can't believe the tech could not get you a color. They have a lot of the color codes for the B-bodies.

I have ordered SEM paint by number on 2 occasions as well as numerous other B-body owners. The local SEM dealer made my current cans of paint by the 4 digit code. My first order was to vinyl pro, and they used the code to make the paint.

It is cheaper if you find a local retailer who can mix paint and put it in spray cans. It is about $18-20 per can.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Yep you are right. I found this pdf file for 1995:
http://semproducts.com/index.php/download_file/view/945/
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Good find. I downloaded it, and the color code matches the 4 digit code that was stated for the MAB.

Were there PDFs for other years? They do not address 91-93 colors.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm

benn wrote:
how bout that tan/camel color in my '92?? anyone know the code?

I looked up the SEM color code for the camel in a 91-93 wagon, and it is 4607 for the plastic and cloth, and 4617 for the vinyl (only).
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Good find. I downloaded it, and the color code matches the 4 digit code that was stated for the MAB.

Were there PDFs for other years? They do not address 91-93 colors.
http://semproducts.com/tech-info/voc-and-formula-info/
Pick your year on this page.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks, after I wrote the reply, I decided to go to the SEM site, and look it up myself. I found the page, and downloaded it.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks to Tom C. for tipping me off on the #4820 paint. It matches just about perfect.
Next question: what household cleaner/thinner is good to use for surface prep on the hard plastic interior parts?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Great discovery Jim!

However, I'm wondering how accurate this is. SEM says my interior code of Light Grey is 13AN, however, Compnine lists "14I INTERIOR TRIM LT GRAY (14I)" as my interior code.

jimbeau wrote:
Thanks to Tom C. for tipping me off on the #4820 paint. It matches just about perfect.
Next question: what household cleaner/thinner is good to use for surface prep on the hard plastic interior parts?

I used plain old simple green, and dried it very well and shot the SEM right onto it. I've done this without fail on my seats, console, and dash bezel. In fact, just did the dash bezel today.

This used to be the 91-93 Caprice tan:

SEM brand interior vinyl paint 2012-06-11_10-55-50_568
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 pm

That woodgrain front would look good in carbon fiber. I am tossing up making one in aluminum or carbon fiber. I have not decided which one yet.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 pm

That woodgrain front would look good in carbon fiber. I am tossing up making one in aluminum or carbon fiber. I have not decided which one yet.

SEM has all the color match codes on their website. It is under archives. The color will usually look different until you put it in the car, then it will match. It is an illusiion you mind does to you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Hmm... that dash surround looks awfully familiar.

Fred - I like the idea of carbon fibre. I just may have to get some of the 3m applique and experiment, when mine finally arrives. :p
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 am

I have some real carbon fiber. I was thinking about making a real carbon fiber one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 am

That might be cool too.

How would you attach the plastic bottom to it? Can you use the same plastic-welding process? Or would you have to get creative?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 am

You would have to get creative. Attachment could be done with small Z bend pieces along the edge, or laminate a strip of cloth over the base. They would not be removable with out cutting, or grinding them off. The actual part would be fairly thin, probably 3 plies. The trick is that it would have to be vacuum bagged to make the corners, or made in two or more pieces, one for the face and one for the cowl around the cluster, and in the case of the OCC, a top piece as well.

A mold, or molds made from fiberglass would be the first step. If you can get a crowfoot weave, it takes to curves much better. If not, vacuum bagging is the alternative to multi piece parts.

Making the mold would require some mods of the "original". Gentle depression curves work best around the openings, as opposed to sharp angles. You can stretch the fiber a little to allow for some relief at the radio, and trunk switch openings. You would also have to modify the outer edge so that there aren't any sharp edges, just smooth curves or a square/abrupt edge.

I have an extra OCC insert, and may modify it to use as the plug for a mold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 am

What about maybe using some kind of rivets to attach it, to give it a sort of aerospace appearance?

Sounds like a sweet project.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 pm

I would rather use allen head cap screws, or pan head cap screws. Stainless steel would be nice too. They would be evenly spaced around the perimeter, or wherever they look good. It would give it a mechanical look.

I stopped by the yard today, and they took the FW yesterday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Rats. Good thing I bought the pump then.

No biggie, it's on now.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm

What is the difference between the Capirce and FW pumps?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:32 pm

we should do a sticky with all the various interior sem colour codes for our various wagons
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 pm

buickestate wrote:
we should do a sticky with all the various interior sem colour codes for our various wagons

I agree thats a excellent idea
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:27 am

I nominate Pat O'Malley for this endeavor.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 am

This is the SEM site with the archives. http://semproducts.com/. Go to Tech Info...color and VOC information...go down the page to...Looking for a trim code? Use the documents below to help locate your specific automotive trim code. Ford, Chrysler and GM. select the year...open or save the pdf files that you want to save...Either post them as pics, or retype them and post as a list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SEM brand interior vinyl paint   SEM brand interior vinyl paint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SEM brand interior vinyl paint
Page 1 of 1