GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast

Go down 
+15
benn
BigBlackBeaSSt
toomanytoyz
1993 Roady-man
Sprocket
Bewber
roadmastercouple
yakko
92cappy
silverfox103
scoffman
SCbarber
81X11
phantom 309
COL
19 posters
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Empty
PostSubject: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:52 am

Hello fellow Long Roofers. After driving a 1958 Cadillac for eleven years as a daily driver my wife wanted something modern. We sold the Caddy and were looking for Dodge Magnum. We needed room to haul art and two dogs. I could not bring myself to get a run of the mill SUV after owning Cadillacs and Hudsons for 30 years.

Well I measured the inside of a Magnum and found out the opening and floor space was only 39 inches. That was not going to work. So I started researching the B body wagons. We recently purchased a 50,000 mile OCC. We love it. I have not found one thing on the car that does not work. Last week end we traveled from the coast to Bend Oregon. It is a winding road, up and down several low passes and one high mountain pass. It was very confortable and I got 21 mpg.

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast DSCN0340
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast DSCN0342

I found a Drawtite CLIII Hitch from a post on this forum and it just arrived. I never thought that would be an issue. We have a 1958 Airstream we hauled with the Cadillac and soon with the Olds. I will post photos when I get the hitch mounted. I have only found one Roadmaster and on Caprice in my area so far.

My next step on the forum is to figure out how to do the photo signature.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am

pretty decent looking west coast car,.dark blue is a good color
why doesn't art buy his own car?

nick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 am

Nick,
Good point about Art! The car is from Texas. Very clean but I have found some Texas dust on the frame under the hood. The first owner was an Oldsmobile nut who bought it because it was the last RWD Olds wagon. He put about 20,000 miles on it and sold it to another Olds collector who also used it infrequently.
It is now our main hauler along with a 1965 VW. You can see I am waiting for my Oregon Plates.
Dick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 am

VERY pretty car! I like the color a lot!

Welcome to the forum.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
SCbarber

SCbarber

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 am

Nice and clean, welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://paulthebarber.net
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 pm

I would like to find some Forum members in the Oregon/Washington area. Please respond here or PM me. Thanks
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Welcome! I like the color of you wagon.

Sorry I'm nowhere near Oregon/Wasington area.

Shawn
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Welcome COL!

Been to Lincoln City many times, my wife is a Washington native. We lived in Portland 1979 to 1980.

I know there are a few wagon owners in Western Washington, not sure about about Oregon.

You had a Hudson for a daily driver? They haven't been made in 55, 60 years.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Very clean car, beautiful color. You scored my friend!
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Wow, That car is clean! The west coast must use little salt! That is nice!
Welcome! I am new to this forum myself.

Randy Smile
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm

nice ride and welcome. awsome find
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Tom C
I drove a Model a in 1973-75 in college after I returned from Vietnam. I have not owned a modern car in years. The OCC is the first, but it does not seem to be twenty years old?? I have had two two Hudson Hornets, 52 and 54 during the eighties and early ninties used daily. Then two 1955 Cadillacs also used daily (at diferent times 1998-2010), a 1958 Cadillac used for 11 years was a great tow vehicle for the Airstream. It had a lot of miles and I did not have the dough to restore. I sold it last month and shipped it to Road Island.
Randy
We have only had the OCC for two weeks. Oregon does not use salt but I got two chips on a perfect hood last week from the red volcanic cinders they put on the plowed roads to the east of us. The Cruiser spent all it's life in Texas until last year. It was driven in NC last summer and fall by a collector/dealer.

The seats are blue cloth near perfect. Some discoloring on the center arm rest and left hand door arm rest.
Thanks All for the welcome. I plan to visit often.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I LOVE the OCC and I LOVE that you're not afraid to rock a classic as a daily. HUGE kudos to you.

Welcome, and PLEASE share pix of your other toys. We had an Argosy motorhome until we outgrew it's layout and I've LOVED the silver twinkies ever since. I also have mad love for classic VWs too.

I have a feeling that we'd be great neighbors, but the rest of the neighborhood wouldn't appreciate us.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Bewber,
Okay, I happen to have some pictures to share. I forgot to mention another driver, 1958 Oldsmobile 88.

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast IMG_1729
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast 010
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast DSCN0198

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Octvacation08009
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Octvacation08019

I don't know all the protocol for the forum. If I have posted too many give me a clue.
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Post away! We love 'em.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Welcome aboard, beautiful part of the country you live in. Have a few friends in Hillsboro? west of Portland. Been there twice, it's goregeous.

Cool Great Dane and cooler cars and trailers!!!

There are a few west coast wagon guys, but they mostly hang out on the ISSF.

this thread has a bunch of the guys posting:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=245080&page=8&highlight=west+coast+wagonfest
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Welcome to the board,.. that is one fine looking olds wagon you got there.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks Roady-Man. I am having my hitch installed next week so I can tow that 1958 AirstreamIt is not a matched set like the Black 58 Cad but out to look great I think.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 am

So you come on here showing off the TOP rides on my wish list AAAANNNNNDDDD a friggin GREAT DANE???!!

I know we just met, but I can't help but to love you and hate you at the same time.

I swear to God though, if you tell us that your kryptonite is busty redheads - we should order blood work because I'm pretty sure you're me.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 am

Bewber wrote:
So you come on here showing off the TOP rides on my wish list AAAANNNNNDDDD a friggin GREAT DANE???!!

I know we just met, but I can't help but to love you and hate you at the same time.

I swear to God though, if you tell us that your kryptonite is busty redheads - we should order blood work because I'm pretty sure you're me.

Whoah,.serious man crush going on here,..

I,d love to have that 58 olds as a summer cruiser,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

Don't worry Nick. You still have my 6 speed wagon envy, so I still love you too.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 am

Guys,
Take it easy. I only showed the cars I had on my computer. I drove a 1955 Porsche Speedster every day until I got drafted. It was a used car then with a slipping clutch. Sold it for $750. OOOCH! My biggest sellers remorse was a 1946 Hudson Pick Up with a 308 cu Hudson Hornet six.
I donot have a photo to post yet of either but I have one of a 3'x4' oil painting I did of the Hudson. I owed the body shop too much money, so did a trade for half of the bill with the two paintings below. It was do that or my wife was going to leave.

Talk about a long roof! The 1936 Suburban would make a good project Bewber. It even had a six.
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast ScenicIdaho1946Hudson
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast 1936Suburban
Dick
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 11:12 am

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Love that Caddy...... Welcome to Wagon Land.

FYI..... Most people put the HORSE in the trailer!!

Caddy reminds me of that bridgestone commercial.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 am

Bewber wrote:
Don't worry Nick. You still have my 6 speed wagon envy, so I still love you too.

It,s all an illusion John.
once you get to the top of the hill,.the all encompassing view of the valley below looks more inviting, and the simple life is often the most enjoyable.

Nick
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am

COL wrote:

I donot have a photo to post yet of either but I have one of a 3'x4' oil painting I did of the Hudson. e.

Dick

I,m in awe of your talent sir.

I can only wish i lived close enough to trade parts and labour for such a painting.

Nick
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Shocked welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
COL wrote:

I donot have a photo to post yet of either but I have one of a 3'x4' oil painting I did of the Hudson. e.

Dick

I,m in awe of your talent sir.

I can only wish i lived close enough to trade parts and labour for such a painting.

Nick

Seriously. Smile
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 am

Just a TBI! But it is clean enough to eat on.
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast OLDSEngine005
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast OLDSEngine004
I so lucked out getting this car.
Dick
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 am

I'm still drooling over that Hudson pickup. Truly unique, beautiful and probably damn peppy with the big six. What did you do with it?
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am

I needed the money. Lost several thousand dollars on it. I had debts to pay and a truck like that sitting in the garage. Story of my life. Of all the vehicles I have ever owned, my sellers remorse was greatest with my Hudson truck. I have some actual photos (not just my painting) to scan. I will post them when I find the album.
Dick
Back to top Go down
psychosid

psychosid

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Great looking Olds, but that Caddy is awesome. I agree with Bewber on the dream list. Just imagining the grins you've seen hauling the airstream with the 58'... You'd barely get camp set-up before you'd have a crowd around that! Thanks for sharing!!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Welcome aboard! Nice wagon.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 4:20 am

Nice Hudson truck... oh, wait.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 pm

A small photo of the Hudson truck in Canada. More to follow in May LROM.
NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Image55
Dick
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 am

How many of those even exist anymore? 5?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 am

There is only one,.it,s the biggest in the world,.
Terex Titan,.

Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 am

jimbeau wrote:
How many of those even exist anymore? 5?

There were 3374 units trucks produced in 1946, and 2917 units in 1947. There maybe 10-20% left. Maybe? Sad

My OCC is getting more rare by the day right?

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Hudsontruckandbiggertruck

D
Back to top Go down
straitjacket68

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am

hey is that the same truck richard pryor drove in the movie the wendell baker story? ive always wondered what kind of truck that was. i figured with the fender skirts it was a custom. im pretty sure its the same type of truck as your hornet.
billy
Back to top Go down
straitjacket68

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:38 am

and for you guys who dont remember the movie, its richard pryor as the first black stock car driver . he drove a white truck similiar to the hudson to pull his racecar around.
billy
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Billy,
I have not seen the movie in a long time and don't remember the truck. I will rent it again. The driver played by Pryor was Wendell Scott. Below from obit:

"Wendell Scott, the only black to gain prominence in stock-car racing, died Sunday(?). He was 69 years old and had suffered from spinal cancer.

Scott competed in more than 500 Grand National races and finished in the top-five standings 20 times. He won 128 races in the lower Sportsmen division.

Mr. Scott was portrayed by Richard Pryor in the 1977 film "Greased Lightning," which focused on his racing career. He got his chance in 1949 when the owner of a Danville race track, seeking to increase attendance, went to the police station looking for names of blacks with speeding records. The police gave the owner Mr. Scott's name.

Over the years, inspectors often made Mr. Scott repair such things as chips in his car's paint before they allowed him to race, and he said some drivers deliberately tried to make him crash because he was black.

Even his greatest victory had a sour note. In 1963, he won the Jake 200, a race in Jacksonville, Fla., for the Grand National division, what is now the Winston Cup series. But Buck Baker, whom Scott had lapped three times, was given the winner's trophy."

The fender skirts were made for me custom by a guy building a 1937 Hudson Terraplane truck. The body is factory. It did not come with a rear bumper. This one is from a 1946 sedan.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 2:31 pm

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast 101_1420
I have no idea what y'all are talking about. Very Happy

This is the car that was used in the Richard Pryor movie. It was a recreation of the original. It's currently at Daytona International Speedway on display.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Scott had a long career driving. He drove alot of cars before this 1964 Chevrolet. I will rent the movie "Greased Lightning" to see what tow vehicle was used to take his early cars to the track. In the movie at least.

[searching for car parts in a scrap yard]
Peewee: What'chyou looking for, Wendell?
Wendell Scott: Some of this, some of that, some of everything. A universal joint.
Peewee: Hmph. I wouldn't know a universal joint if it bit me.
Wendell Scott: Well, one's about to bite you.

What'chyou lookin for Sprocket? Wink

Dick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast   NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW MEMBER Oregon Coast
Page 1 of 1