GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)

Go down 
+8
mtrhead79
BigBlackBeaSSt
bigoldv8
jimbeau
Sprocket
roadmastercouple
1phastsswagon
brokecello
12 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Empty
PostSubject: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSat 07 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

Well, I know for those of us with LT1 engines...we had limited options for the valvecovers. You had to get the ones with the "notch" in the front of the passenger side valve cover for proper fitment.

Today I saw proof that you don't have to

1. Reclock the alternator
2. bash the front of the un-notched valvecover with a hammer
3. buy the proper notched passenger valvecover

This guy bought these

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And then removed a touch off the alternator housing....and it fit perfectly. No rubbing, and still room for the ground cable to go behind/underneath (he was using stock size batt cables)

I think I might give this a try and step up to some nicer valvecovers....(since the non notched ones are easier to find)

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSat 07 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

I love those valve covers. Want a set really badly.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSat 07 Apr 2012, 11:57 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I love those valve covers. Want a set really badly.

LEE scored those @ the fall autofair show last year - Cheap to. If ya want I can see if I can find you a set when we go in a few weeks
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSun 08 Apr 2012, 12:07 am

Those won't need mods to go onto my car, and I have leaky valve covers anyway.

You've got a PM. cheers
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSun 08 Apr 2012, 2:45 am

sweet covers wish i could find a set with buick on them
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

What did he use an angle grinder?
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

That would be the cheapest way.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

Sprocket wrote:
What did he use an angle grinder?

Belt sander with a shop vac hose being held right against it
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

Ok, I'm trying this tonight....I have an extra alternator incase I get too crazy.

hahaa
Back to top Go down
bigoldv8

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Sep 2013, 2:51 pm

DOUBLE DOWN!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

I still want these covers.

Crap. Thanks/damn you for reminding me.

*adds to shopping cart for next paycheck*
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 18 Sep 2013, 5:27 pm

I like my Impala covers.

Very Happy

I did have to notch the back of the passenger side to clear the heater core pipes.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeThu 19 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

Ok.  So I don't usually fail.  But I did last night.

Shaving the alternator was working.  However, I started to get a little impatient and thought I would juuuust tap out that last little bit of room needed with my ball hammer.  

FAIL. Don't do that...learn from my stupidity.  

Another set is already ordered and I will get it right this time.  Sigh.  I might have a friend who might have a friend that TIG Welds.  If so, I will get these fixed and thrown on the Fleetwood.

Oh, and I also sliced my fingertip (most of they way) off.  2 Stitches...not a good night for team Powell.

Chris

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeThu 19 Sep 2013, 12:56 pm

Ouch
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeSat 21 Sep 2013, 6:57 pm

at least you still have the finger.[positive note]  i ground the alt where the 2 long supports that go to the bearing area and the bolts that come out from inside the alt . i dont know if u can see it in the pic but the one rib that goes to the bearing is mostly gone

Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm

Well, you pulled it off mtrhead79!  

My new valve covers arrived...same maker...but these have a notch.  Lol.  I take it as a sign.  

Anyhow, there is more than enough room now.  I am trying to get the busted cover fixed up, and I will put it on the Fleetwood.  I want this to work dang-nabbit!  

New valve covers (less than $100 shipped on e-bay)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm

i hope you did not take remark wrong. just joking around .what if you cut the section out then flipped it over to make the notch. it would take some of the top of the cover and that would be the bottom of the notch. dont know if my desription helps. either way you need a welder as a friend
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 8:24 pm

No, I was just saying it's good to know someone else pulled it off (using the non notch). Yeah, I know what you are saying and I might have a guy who knows a guy...lol
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 9:11 pm

You might want to clear them, they corrode fairly quick. At least mine did in the areas I couldn't get to get sealer on which is most of the sides. Mine have gotten bad enough that I am considering getting replacements rather that trying to polish mine.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 10:38 pm

Why not just clock the alternator? Any rebuilder can do that in 15 minutes, and replace the bearings if you give him an extra 10.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 10:51 pm

Who rebuilds alternators? I'm not close to Mexico or China...

Id like to learn though
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeMon 30 Sep 2013, 11:40 pm

Well, doing a Google Search for "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]" turned up:

Hugh Mull's Rebuilders
Instel Power Services
All charged Up

Darby Electric is another possibility but I didn't find too much crossover between automotive/truck and industrial, at least in who I've dealt with. You lose nothing by calling them though.

I know not all of these are close, but this is the flavor of what you'd be looking for.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeTue 01 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

I rebuilt one for my Trans Am while stationed in Germany. The rebuild kit was much cheaper than a new Alt.

My soldering sucks but the Alt was still working years later when I sold the car.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeTue 01 Oct 2013, 9:19 pm

The CS144 in these cars does not require any soldering as far as I can remember. You do need a press to get the bearings in and out of the casings, and the order of the diode components in the rear is critical but not difficult.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 02 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

when i had mine apart to powder coat it it came aprt nice just be carefull you dont strip the alt housing when you tighten the guts down i stripped one hole. i dont have a bolt in that place so far so good. you need a little nail or small rod to hold the brushes back until the  1\2 with the armature is put in place then bolt the 2 halves together and remove the pin or nail to release the brushes. here is a pic you can see the hole in the brushes the pin would slid in to hold them back
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitimeWed 02 Oct 2013, 8:59 pm

A straightened paper clip is perfect for holding the brushes in place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)    LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LT1 Centerbolt Valve Covers (Pass Side Notch Workaround)
Page 1 of 1