GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Internal Coil Spring Compressor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

Internal Coil Spring Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Does anyone have an internal coil spring compressor they can recommend? One they know works with our cars?

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 5:06 pm

I know this is pricey...but this seems to be a pretty good one?

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7045B-Front-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000GTJ5I8

I need something that won't slide all over the place (plus I will be working alone) I am also replacing both front lower control arms as well with new Moog units. I also remember the 9C1 springs were VERY stiff and longer than stock (I am cutting a coil off the bottom though..)

Thinking I can do it like this guy...

Internal Coil Spring Compressor DSCN1960

Internal Coil Spring Compressor DSCN1960
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I have a set I can send you. Just bring it back to me at WF.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:52 pm

I have these I could ship down with the lugs and valves stems. If you wanted me too. When compressed it creates a curve to the spring which makes it easier to put the spring back in. And these are not rusty like the picture makes them look either. Just dusty from not being used.

Internal Coil Spring Compressor 001-10
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:08 am

The ones in the Amazon link will work fine. The easiest way I have found to use them is pull the shock absorber and slide thee spring compressor shaft down through the chassis hole (where the top shock stud anchors) without the top plate, and grab the spring on the lowest coil you can. Then, either use an impact to tighten up the spring or just snug it down and then take the weight off of the A-frame. Then you can remove the entire upper & lower control arm assemblies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Jarrod,where did you find those spring compressors?I like the way the safety pins block the coils
from shifting when compressed.Perfect when working alone!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Not sure I have had this set for years. I rarely use them i'd sell them if anyone wanted them.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Jarrod,where did you find those spring compressors?I like the way the safety pins block the coils
from shifting when compressed.Perfect when working alone!

Jim,
Auto Zone has em they look to be equal to the OEM tools compressor

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks Robert,Saw those and a similiar set at harbor freight from china.Personally I would prefer
buying a costly old american made tool than a cheap chinese made tool.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Thanks Robert,Saw those and a similiar set at harbor freight from china.Personally I would prefer
buying a costly old american made tool than a cheap chinese made tool.

To true.....But if it helps OEM is based out of NY. and they have a lifetime warranty.

However I am like you, and rather buy something thats older (built better) and rather purchase from a member than an unknow.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 3:52 am

I'm telling you guys: The way I described using them is a snap. Safe, easy, & quick.
The one I have looks like the one in pic #2; the Branick 7200. It has a roller bearing in it for easy turning.

http://compressorh.com/automotive-coil-spring-compressor/
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:51 pm

jimbeau wrote:
I'm telling you guys: The way I described using them is a snap. Safe, easy, & quick.
The one I have looks like the one in pic #2; the Branick 7200. It has a roller bearing in it for easy turning.

http://compressorh.com/automotive-coil-spring-compressor/

Gonna second the 7200. The other style was just too big and bulky when I did the front springs on my old sedan. Ended up needing a die grinder to remove it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internal Coil Spring Compressor   Internal Coil Spring Compressor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Internal Coil Spring Compressor
Page 1 of 1