GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HELP! Rear window won't open!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

HELP! Rear window won't open! Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Okay, I'm confused. I used the car for the last two days junkyarding with NO issues at all. Went back in to get some tools out, and now the rear glass won't open. Pushing the lock doesn't work, pushing the dashboard button doesn't work, and the key won't turn to the left to unlock it. The key will turn to the right, but not the left.

To make things worse, my "Gate Ajar" light is on, so this is going to kill my battery.

What can I do? Is it possible to take the glass off of the car with the tailgate closed? Gah!
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:47 pm

try pushing on the gate by the right side to get it closed.

You can take the wiper motor cover off and take take the the nuts for the top hinges off. You could then open the gate but of course would need someone to help so you don't brake the glass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:53 pm

How does the wiper motor cover come off?
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:17 pm

IN A TOTALLY UNRELATED MATTER>>>
Stingroo wrote:
How does the wiper motor cover come off?
There. I fixed it for ya.

As far as your tailgate problem, yeah, you have to get your buttcheeks in gear and 'push' that right side in.
Try holding the button in while you 'butt' the gate. You might get lucky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Fixed what, exactly? lol

Dented the gate while giving it the butt. Pulled dent out. Looks fine. Not trying that again.

Next? Sad
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:50 pm

You have to be smart when pushing on sheet metal. On the tailgate or any car door, the sweet spot is an inch or two from the right edge, where the thing is reinforced. Bump it good with your hip, through a piece of padding to prevent scratching the paint. Did you try holding the latch button down while butting it? Did you squirt some WD-40 into the key lock and work the key around in it to see if you can get it to turn left?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Can try squirting WD-40 into it.

Yeah, I tried a few different spots/angles to push the gate in. No luck. I'm probably doing it wrong lol.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 11:34 pm

I'm curious as to why your key will turn one way, but not the other. Try EVERY other key you have for that car in that lock, after squirting jizz into the lock. Report back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:04 am

Sprayed WD40 into lock and tried both sets of keys that I have.

No luck.

Anybody know how that wiper molding comes off? My FSM is packed up still... somewhere.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Wiggle each key in a circular motion (in the lock) while applying counter-clockwise pressure.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

One of your lock rods is probably out of position/detached. You can pull the interior off of the gate at the bottom, and trip the glass lock from the inside. Remove both side panels (spare cover and storage), and the two screws at the lower corners of the carpet on the gate interior. The rest is held on by metal clips on the sides, and tree fasteners along the bottom. The trip lever is on the bottom of the latch.

If you need the wire end clips for the sloted levers, let me know I have some.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 10:13 pm

I will let you know. I'll have to pull my subwoofers out to get back there. Fun!

I do know one of my lock rods is out of position though. The lock stalk does nothing anymore. It used to, though... lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Rear window won't open!   HELP! Rear window won't open! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP! Rear window won't open!
Page 1 of 1