GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heater Hose questions

Go down 
+3
Sprocket
jimbeau
GG91Wagon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

Heater Hose questions Empty
PostSubject: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been covered before but could you guys post some pictures or examples of what you've done to solve the mess of heater hoses on your LT1 car? My 94 Roadmaster's hoses are all original and the other day my reducer broke that limits the flow into the heater core. I don't want to start up another debate on if that piece is needed or not, what I'm mainly concerned about is what should be done about the 90* bends in front of the motor and the "T" that goes over to the expansion tank. I thought about replacing the "T" with a brass fitting and just using bulk heater hose for the rest, but I'm not sure it can make those extreme bends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Collin
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:24 pm

The newer hose material today is a lot better than what you could buy 20 years ago, but I still wouldn't try to make one of them bend in a position that they don't want to go. Doing that used to mean premature failure. Even those corrugated looking bendable hoses didn't last very long. If your auto parts guy will let you go back into the area where they have their hoses stored, look for molded ones that will match the 90 degree bends on your old hoses, and just cut off the unneeded excess.
Regarding the flow restrictor, the last time I looked, Rockauto had them for sale.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

^^^great advice. I had to do that with my Austin Healey. Found longer hoses with the proper molded corners and chopped off what I didn't need.

They are harder to come by these days, but a set of 9C1 silicone hoses would solve your problem once and for all... there are the other silicone High Miler hoses (forget who makes them) and they come in colors, so you can use them to dress up under the hood if you are into that sort of thing.

that said a set of the OE green hoses can be had at the JY for about a buck each if you can find them. Usually, by the time I get there, they have been cut by whomever took the LT1 out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 11:40 am

Samco makes the colored LT1 hoses.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Other than the fact that they last forever, I love the fact that the silicone hoses never stick to anything. Loosen the clamp and they just slide right off.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Goodyear makes a complete set of hoses for our LT1 cars. Only thing I don't care for is the blue color.

Heater Hose questions Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Personally I like the color not that it really matters since the hood is usually closed!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 6:09 pm

not sure what the impact is for....

are they sold in a set, or is it "buy it one piece at a time" kinda deal?
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

It was my new toy for tightening hose clamps. It is rated at 450 ft lbs of torque Very Happy . It just happened to come the same day as the hoses.

They are sold as a set for about $100.00, don't know if you can get individually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:43 pm

450 ft/lbs for a 1/4" impact?

Model number? <_<
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:17 pm

I think it's 3/8"... You'd be amazed at how much power those little things put out.
I bought a DeWalt 18 volt, 1/2" drive mini-impact several years ago that isn't any bigger than a beer can. It'll fit most anywhere & puts out well over 100 ft/lbs of oomph.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Stingroo wrote:
450 ft/lbs for a 1/4" impact?

Model number? <_<
Here is the link to it on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm

jimbeau wrote:
I think it's 3/8"... You'd be amazed at how much power those little things put out.
I bought a DeWalt 18 volt, 1/2" drive mini-impact several years ago that isn't any bigger than a beer can. It'll fit most anywhere & puts out well over 100 ft/lbs of oomph.

Jim you should know its a 1/2" drive since you were there when Cory used it to change the tire after he burned it down at the Bash.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 9:55 pm

I deliberately didn't go over and fondle the thing, because I knew that I would then want to possess one. Like I need MORE tools.

Also, you must learn that just because I'm standing up, and seem coherent, I'm not necessarily "plugged in" to what is going on. If John hadn't mixed me up that 'cocktail', I would have been horizontal in short order. I have somewhere around 10% of the energy I used to have.
But... I have a pulse, and a strong desire to live long enough to be a complete burden to society. Pay up, children!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Wow. Doesn't look like a 1/2" from the pic. Tiny.

Pretty sweet.

Back to top Go down
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks for the tips guys, does anyone have the Goodyear part number? I wouldn't be opposed to spending that to get all new hoses.

Thanks in advance,
Collin
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 am

I got mine from Summit, just looked for it as a Impala SS.

I see you are from Des Moines my daughter worked at the state senate there for most of the year. Her birthday is the 27th and I plan on meeting up with her that weekend in Davenport where my mother and sister live.

Here is the listing.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 am

Ancient_1 wrote:
Goodyear makes a complete set of hoses for our LT1 cars. Only thing I don't care for is the blue color.

I put mine in sleeves

Heater Hose questions IMG_6411
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 am

I like those fittings on yours, Tim.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:03 am

Cheap aluminum covers. Going to remove soon and go a different direction. Very Happy

BTW..... JAYSS makes the plastic restriction part in Billet aluminum. Nice piece!!
Back to top Go down
GG91Wagon

GG91Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am

Ancient_1 wrote:
I got mine from Summit, just looked for it as a Impala SS.

I see you are from Des Moines my daughter worked at the state senate there for most of the year. Her birthday is the 27th and I plan on meeting up with her that weekend in Davenport where my mother and sister live.

Here is the listing.

Great, that is definitely on my list of things to get. If you ever make it as far over as Des Moines, let's meet up, I haven't met any members from this board yet.

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Ancient_1 wrote:

I put mine in sleeves

Heater Hose questions IMG_6411

I like the blue color and will probably leave them out but yours look fantastic!

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Cheap aluminum covers. Going to remove soon and go a different direction. Very Happy

BTW..... JAYSS makes the plastic restriction part in Billet aluminum. Nice piece!!

Is JAYSS a member on here or ISSF? I would love to purchase one of his rather than a cheap plastic piece.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 am

I bet that restrictor part that Jay makes is a beautiful piece of work!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm

It is a nice piece and yes Jay is a forum member. Won WagonFest Waterloo peoples choice last year. Send him a note. While you are doing the coolant system I sell the bleeder valves as well if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 pm

You mean this one?

They are going to be sold on-line for about 25.00 plus whatever shipping & Paypal works out to. That should compare quite favorably with what GM is getting for the replacement units. I will have several available @ Wagonfest for your inspection. If anyone wants one right away, they may be purchased there for an introductory price of $25.00 each while supplies last.

Heater Hose questions BilletRestrictor-2

Heater Hose questions BilletRestrictor-1

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t3987p20-wagonfest-2011-parts-for-sale-wanted-trade-thread#40836
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Since we're posting pics, this looks like a good time to post up my "covered with huge heat shrink tubing" restrictor. Shortly after I bought my ride, the piece on the car literally crumbled in my hand when I was trying to wrestle with it, so I figured clamping some shrink on the new one might help hold it together as it aged.

Heater Hose questions Restrictor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heater Hose questions   Heater Hose questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heater Hose questions
Page 1 of 1