GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls

Go down 
+11
brokecello
AlmostaBuick
scoffman
Ancient_1
roadmastercouple
jimbeau
BigBlackBeaSSt
Krzdimond
lakeffect
81X11
jetfire88
15 posters
AuthorMessage
jetfire88

jetfire88

Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Empty
PostSubject: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 3:34 am

Hi, I'm Jim.

I am in West Allis, Wisconsin, USA (we call it St'Allis to PO the politicians), two blocks from The Milwaukee Mile.

For large parts of my life I have driven Oldsmobiles. My current fleet:

1992 OCC, Hurst/Hurse
Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Hurst-parks-017

More here:
https://s564.photobucket.com/albums/ss86/jetfire88_photos/Hurse/

1992 OCC, Number 4344 of 4347 made, 83k, summer driver, wheel and paint mods, (anybody got a higher VIN?).

1991 OCC, 155k, winter driver

1962 Olds F85 Deluxe wagon, 52k, factory A/C

1958 Morris Minor Woodie, RHD, NZ import

1960 Thunderbird, 4" off the ground, idles at 900rpm, and I promised the neighbors I won't start it after 10pm (2200). All the drawings are done to put a '57-58 Merc wagon roof on it.

My dad bought me my first car at age 12, I learned basic mechanics on it and got it running nice, he then started driving it to work, and then sold it, I got nothing back but an education (on all levels).

I am a semi-retired computer geek. 2012 will be my 51st anniversary as a computer programmer, so don't none of you young whippersnappers out there try to tell me anything.

I keep trying to have a life of leisure, but clients keep calling me back and giving me stupid money 'cuz I know old stuff.

I do somewhat live in the past lane, I still use Beta, I just had my LaserDisc freshened up, and I have dial telephones. I'm not a social media person, there are no keyboards involved when I hang out with my friends, but there is usually food and alcohol (more of the latter).

I am a member of ASWOA, the Society of Automotive Historians, Oldsmobile Club of America (Co-founder of the Wisconsin Chapter), Midwest Morris Minor Owners Organization, & Classic Thunderbird Club of Wisconsin.

I find the ImpalaSSForum a great resource for the mechanical issues of the GM '91-'96 B bodies, but I am always looking for more.

My best buddy is a high-end graphic artist, currently underemployed, anyone need anything done?
Visit http://www.jazgraphics.com
She has restored her Morris Minor LCV, which is almost a wagon.

Well, 'nuff for now, I look forward to spending more time here and seeing what everyone else has.

I am notorious for not getting back to people in a timely manner, so please be patient with me.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 am

I LOVE the Hurst Hurse! Awesome. As a fellow Oldsmobile nut, welcome to the forum and hope you're active on here. Lots of great folks and helpful info.

Again WELCOME!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:01 am

Holy CRAP! That car looks INCREDIBLE.

Welcome! Did you happen to get our email we sent out and came back? Smile
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Can you list a better ( full) photo bucket link. I tried using it but there must be some missing characters because of the "... " in the middle of the posted link.It did not work.

Where is the hood from? Custom? Grafted from something else?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Both links fixed

NICE wagon!! Love the hood and wheel treatments.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:24 pm

What a wonderful Olds. Nicest one I have seen. Console looks like a Riviera, what are the seats from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome to the group Jim,your wagon is by far the best Hurst wagon that I have ever seen.
How long did it take to complete?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Krzdimond, thanks for fixing the link.

Nice car. Stock under the hood?
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Digging the louvres in the hood.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Sweet wagon welcome
Back to top Go down
Ancient_1

Ancient_1

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Welcome fellow Cheesehead. You are the closest member I have seen so far. Being a car guy I am sure you know where I am at in Jefferson.

That is a very nice looking wagon you have there I wish my Roadmaster looked half that nice.
Back to top Go down
jetfire88

jetfire88

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 am

Hi All, Thanks for all the kind words (and fixing the photo link).

I will try to answer all the questions.

The hood louvers are from a '73 442, just the center strip was inserted into the OCC hood. The inner structure was also used so that if I want to use '73 Hurst louver overlay I can bolt it in like stock.

The buckets and console are from a '74 Cutlass. The seats are mounted to the OCC frames so I get 6-way buckets ( I tried mightily to create 6-way swivel buckets, but everything I tried, something hit somethin else, so I gave up). The seat covers are the original Cutlass covers that were dyed to match the existing Light Camel interior. I used 70's era loop rugs instead of the stock fuzzy things. Don Kasper at Inside Rides (Tichigan, WI) designed the side panels.

The ashtray section was hacked a bit to allow the console to slide in and look like it was actually made for it. The cupholder portion still works, and the lighter is now in the cubbyhole in the console. The rear seat was covered with the rear seat cover from the '74, it practically bolted in.

The wheel are '72 Olds Super Stock IV, available only on Delta's for a couple of years. They are Polycast rubber overlay style.

Stock under the hood (for now). 350 TBI. This winter it gets an Olds 455, converted to TBI using all GM parts, paddle shifters behind the Sport Wheel, and '67 Olds Turnpike Cruiser air cleaner.

Total build time was about 4 weeks in the body shop (including repainting the hood 'cuz of dirt in the paint, and about a week in the upholstery shop for fitting the rugs, seat covers, headliner, etc.

I did not call it a Hurst Olds out of respect for all the real ones out there. I am more inclined to like the Hurst Gran Prix and Chrysler 300, than the little cars.

And yes, your reminder e-mail was the reason I remembered this site and hope to become more active. I have looked around a bunch and I am really impressed with the quality of responses to question and general discussions.

Thanks again, everyone!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am

jetfire88 wrote:

I have looked around a bunch and I am really impressed with the quality of responses to question and general discussions.

Wait to we get drunk and rowdy! Then see what you think!

To anyone who has not done so, make sure you guys put yourselves on our map. Follow the link.
Over 500 members and less than thirty are mapped.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t6619-longroof-locator-powered-by-google-maps
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:41 am

Welcome aboard! I loved the pics your wagon is B-E-A-UTIFUL.
Back to top Go down
AlmostaBuick

AlmostaBuick

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Welcome from another new guy.
You'll find this a pretty nice bunch, I think.
Always happy to help.

Now repeat after me:
"My name is [first name ONLY]."
"It has been [_____] days since I last bought an old station wagon...."

I can quit anytime I really want to.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Wow!! The OCC is amazing!!! Love the pics... Wearing out my phone battery scrolling through them all..again... and again....and again!!

Chris

Last edited by brokecello on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
vinyldavid

vinyldavid

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 am

Welcome to the Wagon Forumz!

I'm 20 and I have Betamax, SVHS, 3/4", LaserDisc, 11 R2R decks, including 16 track, 8 track, 12" 2 track with timecode, and all the standard formats. Along with vinyl (of course). And CRT projectors with a Faroudja Scaler.

My friend uses an Ampex AceĀµ Video Editor which basically is a PDP-11. 8" floppies!

And my 1960's Western Electric wall-mount 500 series rotary dial phone has been modified with an 1/8" audio input and a headset interface (just 1/4" I/O).
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:21 am

Welcome aboard. Gorgeous Cruiser!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:20 pm

welcome Back!

Beauty car, it's really nice how you made all the correct mods to make it a tribute. Well done indeed.
Back to top Go down
SShiftn6

SShiftn6

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Welcome, Jim! I like the title...and the '92, its awesome. My wife was born and raised in Stallis and my brother lived there for 4 years after he got married...95th, just south of Greenfield.

Did you have your 91 on Craigslist within the last year?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls   Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from the land of Beer, Brats, and Recalls
Page 1 of 1