GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Taps442

Taps442

Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Empty
PostSubject: Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?   Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Hello-I am wondering what some of ya'll have used and are HAPPY with as far as custom style front and rear bumpers. I am wanting a different than stock look for my black Roadmaster wagon. I have seen some of the bumpers that are aftermarket with very poor quality and fit-I am NOT looking for that! Any photos and suggestions would be appreciated-also, do the custom bumpers for the Caprice wagon work on the Buick? Thanks in advance!-Steve
Back to top Go down
koopa

PostSubject: Re: Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?   Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 am

from what i was told they work just fine but for the front you would have to change out the front grill as the Buick one is larger then the caprice one .
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?   Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 pm

There is no direct replacement front or rear bumper cover for the RMW. The front is a Caprice part, and requires the support and compatable grille. The rear bolts on, but you need the Caprice, or OCC taillights to fill the gap under the lights at the corners of the rollpan. The Caprice taillights are a lot easier to find than the OCCs. About 50,000 (rounded) Caprice wagons were produced, vs. 11,000 OCCs (rounded).

If you are good at fabricating fiberglass, you could modify the parts, but it is a lot of work.

The RMW grille is about 1 inch taller (all at the bottom) than the Caprice. The OEM bumper cover and support have a depression to accommodate it, and the support for the grille is taller too.

The only smooth fiberglass bumper covers still made for the front are on ebay, and are crap. Sometimes you can find an old BellTech which is the good one. There are still some urethane fronts available, but they are expensive, in the $350 price range. No matter what, you will have to get a grille that is compatable with the Caprice, or modify the front cover. You might be able to find a few BellTech rear smooth covers with the license plate pocket, and they can be modified to a smooth unit.

I have a used smooth rear Belltech and a new one with the plate pocket for sale.

Mounting them is not all that difficult, you can use the OEM covers for templates where they attach to the fenders, and the other holes can be drilled from the botttom with the parts in place, after mounting them to the fenders. Just avoid the fiberglass dust. The rear roll pan needs a brace across the top of the mounting holes under the gate. I have a 1 X 1/8 steel strip spanning, and drilled to match, the holes. It keeps the rollpan flat. There are ears on the Belltech in the corners that are not necessary, and could even be cut off for a cleaner look.

The rollpan will require the removal of the rear bumper. The bumper shocks can be left in place, and a piece of rectangular tubing could be used for a replacment bumper. You have to shape it a bit, but it makes riding in the tailgunner seat a lot safer.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taps442

Taps442

PostSubject: Re: Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?   Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks to Fred! I have a smooth rear bumper and tail lights on their way! Now all I need is the smooth Belltech front bumper--anyone have one for sale?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?   Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smooth style custom front and rear bumpers for RMW-What's available?
Page 1 of 1