GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.

Go down 
+10
scoffman
s1l1sc
Robert 96
uxwbill
81X11
Mark 96 Roady
94Woody
brokecello
DROLDS2U
BigBlackBeaSSt
14 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Empty
PostSubject: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:43 pm

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Drive-inmovie

A futon mattress in the back for comfort with pillows and a blanket. Fell asleep before the second movie was half done!!! Movies were TERRIBLE, but the seats were wonderful!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:46 pm

That is too fun!!!! Love the futon idea!

We will have to go to the drive in soon!!
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 7:49 pm

looks like it was lots of fun
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah...I never thought of the Futon mattress!! Sweet!!!

I used to hit up one of the handful of Drive-In's when I was in Louisville. Only 2 (and not remotely close) in my area now. If I ever hit it big, I would open one here in the Upstate. Still need to take my wife to her first Drive-In Movie...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Nice, never thought about the mattress, great idea.

There is a nice drive in about 30 minutes from us that we visit a couple times a year. Especially nice during the long weekends when they show 3 movies for less than one at a regular theater.

Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

When I was in college ( a long time ago) I had maybe the second best drive in movie car. I had a 74 VW Super Beetle convertible. My buddy and I would bring windex (to get the windshield clean, of course) and the front trunk would hold a case of beer and snacks. Top down, summer night, doesn't get any better than that!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Maybe we can do a WF event in my neck of the woods. We could all do the Drive-in on the Friday or Saturday night of the show. Would be a hoot!!! How cool would that be to have 10 or 15 wagons all lined up for a movie!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Yep we used out Roady at the drive-in this spring.....just before I sold it. That was a GREAT night and I've thought about it a LOT since selling it. Can Not Wait to go back in the new Custom Cruiser!!!

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. IMG_20120324_194657
The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. IMG_20120324_200215
The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. IMG_20120324_200758
The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. IMG_20120324_200824
The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. IMG_20120324_220117
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 2:29 am

That's a really nice setup. I'll have to try that if I ever get to a drive-in movie again. There is such a theater not too far from me.

Why is there one rear flap window open? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 am

uxwbill wrote:
That's a really nice setup. I'll have to try that if I ever get to a drive-in movie again. There is such a theater not too far from me.

Why is there one rear flap window open? Very Happy

Thanks and I think the kids closed the other one.
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am

That's a great idea!! My daughter has never been to a drive in before. Not many left around Cincinnati but there is a real nice one about 45 minutes north of town. My best drive in car was a 63 Mercury Monterey 4dr. with the breezeway window in back. Enough room for a platoon of Marines!!
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am

I wish there was a Drive-In close to me. Will have to do some research.

brokecello - I'm in Spartanburg every second weekend or so - can you let me know which Drive-Ins you know off?
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I did a simple internet search here's a site that lists some still active drive-in movie theaters.

http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 pm

We've got one by us but it's more expensive to go to the drive-in on a Saturday night than it is to go to our local Cine-Mark....
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I think your best drive in car would be determined by your marital status and whether or not you
have kids.Guess the ultimate drive in car would be dependent on your age!
Back to top Go down
donzikid

donzikid

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Man, that brings back great memories!
Back to top Go down
Caddydaddy13

Caddydaddy13

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 2:26 pm

This is funny... I grew up with a huge multi-screen Drive-in movie theater maybe five minutes away and another one maybe 20 mins away. We would go all the time. It was a blast. But when I got to college I started dating a girl from Boston, MA and she didn't believe me that we had Drive-in theaters!! She (and her parents) both thought they got rid of them all in the 50's and 60's!! I took her home one weekend and she was astounded!! Surprised She couldn't stop talking about it to everyone back home and actually had to call and tell her parents about it and send pictures! LOL
Back to top Go down
FlashGumby

FlashGumby

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 pm

We get the same kind of disbelief here. Our local drive-in, the Thunderbird opened in '63 and has 14 theaters (still the most in the country according to Drive-Ins.com). It's $2.00/person to see first-run films, so it's by FAR the cheapest way to go (esp when you're bringing your own, drinks, candy and popcorn). Back in California (where I'm from) most of the drive-ins folded (or sold their valuable real estate for more lucrative ventures) long ago, so when friends come to visit, a trip to the Drive In is right up there with the Mai Kai as a "Must Do" while your in Florida.

The wagon is the best, though I've been thinking of putting some removable speakers in the back that can be pulled out of the car during films. The Thunderbird broadcasts the audio on each screen to a different radio frequency (marked on the screen) and you listen through the cars stereo. This is great for those in the tailgunner set, but if your outside of the car in lawn chairs or blankets it can be ard to hear quite portions of the film (esp if the kids are being less-than-quiet).

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Avengers-at-Drive-In_zps4e27b971
(Watching "The Avengers" last month.)

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. DaddyWagon_big-1
-Scott McGrath
'96 Roadmaster Estate Ltd. - Last of the Great American Wagons
Low 14's - But I've "Done some stuff to it."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2762557
ISSCA#2229 BCA#43406 BMD#115
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 pm

FlashGumby wrote:
The wagon is the best, though I've been thinking of putting some removable speakers in the back that can be pulled out of the car during films. The Thunderbird broadcasts the audio on each screen to a different radio frequency (marked on the screen) and you listen through the cars stereo. This is great for those in the tailgunner set, but if your outside of the car in lawn chairs or blankets it can be ard to hear quite portions of the film (esp if the kids are being less-than-quiet).
I'm going to have to give this a try when I finish working on my wagon! I thought exactly the same thing about the speakers in the rear...the only bad thing is that the volume control is away up front! (Unless you have an aftermarket head unit with a remote...now there's a possible use for that remote after all!)

I want to keep my car as original as possible, though, so I'm not going to do that.

FlashGumby wrote:
That is an awesome picture. Makes me want to go to the drive in-movies right now. There's one not too far from here. It may be too late in the season, but come next summer...oh I'm going to be longroofing it in style!
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 pm

(Watching "The Avengers" last month.)

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. DaddyWagon_big-1
-Scott McGrath
'96 Roadmaster Estate Ltd. - Last of the Great American Wagons
Low 14's - But I've "Done some stuff to it."

Scott,that is a great picture of the kids in back all huddled together.This picture is definitely a keeper for all to see especially when the
4 of them grow up with kids of their own!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.   The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The BEST drive-in movie car I have ever owned.
Page 1 of 1