GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Opti question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Klez

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:58 pm

So a long time ago I though I had read that the optical sensor made up of only 10% of opti failures. Anyway someone on the other forum is claiming it's the other way around (and he is selling optical sensors for $55).

My 94 Caprice wagon will backfire if I rev the motor. Do I need a cap and rotor or an optical sensor Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://wilson27.com
ArlingtonSS

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:51 pm

My optical sensor died a few months ago. It started out as an occasional dead miss, that got progressively worse over a couple of weeks. It would sometimes die, but would always start right back up until it finally bit the dust one evening. I pulled into my driveway, it died and would not start again. I replaced the optical sensor and it now runs great.

The backfiring could be caused by a faulty cap/rotor, other ignition related issues or could be fuel related. Post more details when you get a chance: backfires under load? revving in driveway? backfires out the tailpipes or back through the intake? when it is revving up or when you let off? what shape are the spark plug wires in? any exhaust leaks?
Back to top Go down
Klez

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Out the exhaust after reving the motor. New plugs wires and no exhaust leaks. It was a few weeks ago so I need to confirm. Where did you get your sensor from?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
ArlingtonSS

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm

I bought my sensor from an F-body guy on ebay. It was a new GM part and it worked great.

I suspect that you have a leak at the exhaust manifold. I had a '94 with a broken exhaust bolt at the rear passenger side manifold (typical on LT1's). It had the familiar exhaust "tick - tick - tick" sound when it was cold and would occasionally backfire when backing off the throttle quickly.
Back to top Go down
Klez

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 9:06 pm

I replaced all the bolts with grade 8 bolts before I installed the motor. It's the opti Laughing
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 4:02 am

I've got an extra used cap and rotor. Less than 10K on the parts. Yours if you want them.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:05 am

Well, for my case, both of my optisparks are original with over 134,000 miles on each. At this point, I'd be suspicious that the whole unit would need to be replaced.

See, what I'm wondering is how much the gap has been opening on the high-voltage side. Each point has been used as many times as the spark plug on that cylinder has, and the center rotor has been used 8x as much. Those terminals can't last forever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Opti question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opti question   Opti question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opti question
Page 1 of 1